Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wipeout HD disappointment

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    taqili

oh man Chill, you have 1337 posts =)

on topic, HD is how it is and I don't see why we need to return to 2097 or w3o physics. I miss a ton of the tracks from w3o, pretty much any but Sampa Run, but I don't want to play the same game with new tracks and graphics. we must separate ourselves from the sports games; anything less would be uncivilised.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

Rapier Racer: I dunno.. I admit Fusion is nowhere near as good as the classics, and it does have a large share of glitches and problems... but I just had more fun playing Fusion than I did with Pulse. HD was more entertaining doing 2-player at least.

As far as control, I'm using close to default, with airbrakes on R1 and L1 instead of the R2/L2 triggers... the trigger setup works on Saturn, Dreamcast, Xbox, GameCube, and 360, but something about those PS3 triggers doesn't work for me.

as far as third party games not "harnessing the ps3s power," that's not the 360's fault Xbox 1 had to struggle with multi-platform games that didn't harness its full potential because they had to be dumbed down for the PS2... maybe this is just payback hahaha

HydrogLox: Even if one of them worked on XL and the other owns half the old games, it didn't make much difference. And working on Quantum Redshift doesn't lend TOO much credibility, because QR has the same problem Pure, Pulse, and HD have with at least one aspect of the physics engine; you let off the accellerator and immediately slow-down as if you romped on the brakes.

Also, I was one of the people who bought an original Xbox and Quantum Redshift. As a matter of fact, QR was one of the first games I picked up for it, and I didn't even KNOW it had any connection to Wipeout.

Maybe I just need to give Pulse and HD more time. I tried playing Pulse last night on Metropia and Moa Therma (the two HD tracks) and had all the exact same difficulties with them on Pulse that I was having in the past and that I encountered in HD. I really don't know what to say because Hydrog is right, due to the series' previous installments, I've got a predetermined set of personal expectations, and Pure, Pulse and HD have all three failed to meet them...as a matter of fact, other than the three games being more new Wipeout entries, the only thing that really satisfied me about any of them was the Pure soundtrack... loved 80% of it as much as the original Wipeout soundtrack (minus Transvaal). Pure's gameplay was a big change from the older titles but I could still adapt to it and enjoy it... Pulse has pretty much killed my interest in any future Wipeout titles unless I can manage to play it "properly" I suppose.

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

Quote Originally Posted by taqili View Post
    oh man Chill, you have 1337 posts =)

on topic, HD is how it is and I don't see why we need to return to 2097 or w3o physics. I miss a ton of the tracks from w3o, pretty much any but Sampa Run, but I don't want to play the same game with new tracks and graphics. we must separate ourselves from the sports games; anything less would be uncivilised.
    I have no idea what 1337 is to mean, but it's no longer their anyway...

I was saying to release the original games (Original Wipeout, 2097 and 3 SE) only with online capability and custom music added if on PS3... and if on PS3 on this is done, thiey should have NeGcons as well, as it would be for the more hardcore fans so that they aren't unhappy... any other additions to the games are welcomed...

Yeah A-G Wolf, I had been stuck in the same spot as you for a long time and understand where you're coming from... even Fusion became enjoyeable, but that's only cause you pushed yourself... if you push yourself to play pulse, I'm almost certain it's outcome will be more than Fusion's...

Well I hated Fusion with a passion. And I think Pulse was a far better game for the most part. And yet I'd rather tear my own face off than play Pulse again, due to the appaling lack of quality control.

I'm quite enjoying HD in that I can hear the sounds (is it the same sound guy? I imagine they would have had to talk him down from a ledge after what happened in Pulse) and, even better, I can spend more time playing than waiting for the system to restart after a crash. Of course with any other series, I'd take that as standard but I've come to think of it as a pleasant bonus with HD.

But generally on your point, AG-Wolf, even with the improvements and tweaks that happened from Pure to Pulse and even with the graphics polish for HD - Pure and Pulse are probably the two most similar games in the WO series, and HD is simply abridged Pulse with a shine. So I'd say if Pure didn't grab you at all, it was going to be unlikely that Pulse would. And if Pulse didn't, there wouldn't be a chance in hell that HD would.

Though, personally, had the quality control been there, I'd have said that Pulse improved upon Pure in most areas. I guess it just moved even further away from where you wanted the series to go.

PSN ID
    Axellink

It's a shame really but I hated both Fusion and mildly liked PULSE. PURE was fun but not floaty enough. I'm absolutely loving HD because of the fact that I can use a proper controller and the physics are closer to the trinity Wipeouts than both the psp games.

My only grip with HD is the BR's as I can't be arsed to execute them to get a good TT record. So TT is out of the bag for me. Where i'll truly enjoy the game will be on multi-player. That alone is enough to get WOHD.

PSN ID

I liked pure, then thought Pulse was just a hunk of nothingness until I learned how to get my music on it, enjoy it's pic taking feature, make a few skins and show off a bit with online... playing my own music within zone mode of all the tracks does definately seem like it's worth it now... I think I like it more for it's capabilities rather than it's physics engine, but it's not too far off from Pure and still floats, so I can deal with it fine... Just took practice and now I like the game (I think it's A LOT better than Fusion, just not better than the others in the series...)

Timezone
    GMT -5

I could personally care less about that fact that a lot of stuff in this game is recycled from Pulse. It's a new Wipeout and seriously, that is more than enough to get me excited.

And regarding the controls, I think it's a matter of practice. The same thing happened to me when I first played HD but now I seem to do fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Chill View Post
    I have no idea what 1337 is to mean, but it's no longer their anyway...
    1337 means "Leet," which (I guess you could say) is slang for "Elite."
    Last edited by Lance; 1st October 2008 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Merged two successive posts by same user. Read the guidelines.

PSN ID
    Nunalho

There isnt one single Wipeout game i dont like...and HD is a blast like 2097 was to me.

I also loved Fusion, Pure and Pulse for the most part.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Syntek

pure was okay, but whenever pulse came out, i ditched pure.
    Last edited by Lance; 1st October 2008 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Redundant quotation removed. Read the WZ guidelines.

PSN ID

Quote Originally Posted by sp1cychick3n View Post
    1337 means "Leet," which (I guess you could say) is slang for "Elite."
    Oh... well I've always been "Elite" at the game of life... hahaha!!

Yeah I think you just need to play pulse more and get use to the controls and handling to like it... I use to not like pulse for the most of the time I had it, had played all sequals previous to Pulse, than got a shizznit load of practice over just the last month and now think the game's radical... not more proof I can supply...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Quote Originally Posted by Axel View Post
    It's a shame really but I hated both Fusion and mildly liked PULSE. PURE was fun but not floaty enough. I'm absolutely loving HD because of the fact that I can use a proper controller and the physics are closer to the trinity Wipeouts than both the psp games.
    The way I see it it's the other way around. To me Pure feels most floaty within the "modern trinity", whereas there was slightly less floatiness in Pulse and there seems to be even less in HD.
    Which is not to say that I don't like the latter. As a matter of fact, I thought Pulse, for all its tiny shortcomings, stands alongside 2097 as one of the best WipEouts.

Ben

I agree with you, Ben, regarding Pure anyway. It is the most connected to the Trinity in its handling, imo

I think Chill makes a great point to me about playing and practicing the games to appreciate them. Isn`t Wipeout supposed to be like that, maybe? You don`t pick up and play original Wipeout and enjoy it straight away, you have to suffer! HD is making me burn the candle at both ends (the sign of me liking a game unfortunately). Now I am "getting" the handling a bit more so that I can play smoother and get hooked on it, and at the same time it`s the first wipeout my kids have been able to play, I think it`s clever stuff.