Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Wipeout HD disappointment

I don`t think I explained myself very well, Flash. It`s not something you learn to do or make the ship do - in the older games it`s something the ship does whether you like it or not and you have to control it, ride it, whatever, to get round the course. Flying a Qirex in the early games is the best example. I guess you would call it momentum, inertia, weight, that sort of thing. Pulse and HD have very little of it, to me. Obviously you can fly sideways in Pulse, simply by double tapping the airbrake, but it`s not the same thing.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

You mean the drifting of the ship (mainly its back), eh?
    I miss that too.
    But that's a characteristic of the old WO games and - sadly - most likely gone forever.

Talking Love it

Played it (WOHD) for the first time last night - how can anybody complain, seriously its cheap (although I'd have paid 40 for a boxed verison) and plays like a dream.

By far the best looking WO ever and it handles like it should (feels like 2097 to me) I just wish I had a rumble controller now instead of this lightweight tat that came with my PS3 (PS3 name neochrome).

AG Systems, lets be friends

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

Lunar is on the same page as me. He knows exactly what I'm talking about...

And I just went to try and get one of my XL videos to try and show an example... but I realized something... the weight/momentum/etc is not visible, you only feel it.

Maybe the new WO crew at SL only watched videos of the old games and never played them? or at least didn't play them thoroughly.

PSN ID
    Axellink

Hmmm you can do that in HD. AB plus anolgue stick and good speed. Trust me it's possible. But it's not easily done. Best ship to use is Assagai.

I know exactly what Lunar is talking about and I think it's down to something quite fundamental to the Pure/Pulse system and has now carried into HD.

With the older games, it felt like I was steering one whole mass. With Pure/Pulse/HD, I am steering a single small point at the front of the craft and what we see as the craft itself acts more like a tail, swinging around that point. I have never quite figured out if it's the physics and that's how it actually works, or if it's actually about how the camera works, which now seems to be following that single point.

Either way, it's now a well-established part of the modern WO games.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    dobyblue

Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post
    Like Flashback-Jack, I picked up the 60gb on Ebay to ensure I had hardware run backwards compatibility - mainly for the two original Wipeout games.
    The original two WipEout games play with no issues on any version of the PS3, as is the case with just about all PSOne titles.

No difference in how they're run from the 60GB to the 80GB to the 40GB.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

For most games there mightn't be much of a compatibility difference among the various PS3 versions, but PS2 game compatibility is pretty much absolute on Emotion-enabled consoles, and PS1 game compatibility is as absolute as a PS2's ability to emulate them.

Quote Originally Posted by lunar View Post
    Obviously you can fly sideways in Pulse, simply by double tapping the airbrake, but it`s not the same thing.
    I understood your explanation. I meant you could get ships to fly sideways in Pulse in deep bends, but you basically had to lean on the airbrakes and turn well in advance to make it happen. Not quite the same effect as it effortlessly occurs in earlier Wipeout versions, but there's still a much tamer strain of it in Pulse.

- F
    Last edited by Flashback Jack; 29th September 2008 at 02:38 PM.

thanks, Flash, I see now.

Max, Wolfie, Dogg Thang, I think you all did a better job than me of turning an illusory feeling into language

Medusa is still the winner though: "turning is akin to having a dogsled hitched up to nitrous-oxide-fed dogs, except there is a moose carcass dragging along on either side of the dogsled.."

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Hmmm need to get a few thoughts out here.

Quote Originally Posted by AG-wolf View Post
    Ask travis, I wish I had a video of me playing... especially on a mag-strip.. Im lucky if I get halfway through a mag-strip area without fishtailing then careening left and right into each wall repeatedly.
    I agree that was a problem for me in Pulse at the beginning but I find the HD mag strips are 100% easier to fly on, its one of the first thoughts I had after racing Metropia. What control system are you using?

I don't know if I merely need more practice, or if XL, 64, and WO3 are truly my niche in the series.
    The former.

It's a shame SL isn't third party... maybe HD would have seen an XBLA release
    Yeah, no thanks, there are enough third party games out there that fail to harness the PS3s power properly thanks to the 360.

But I'll take Fusion over the latest 3 instalments.
    Through the floor went your credibility, I have to ask, just in case you made an error, ARE YOU SERIOUS?? What makes Fusion better than Pure or HD? The million bugs? The death of classic teams? The stupid looking pilots? The utter shite physics? Im in no way Pulses biggest fan but to state that it has garbage physics then say youd rather have Fusion is almost laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    This is still Pulse.

Yes. Yes, it is. It is exactly that. With fewer tracks and modes, though at a very nice price point. It inherits all of the strengths and the weaknesses of Pulse.
    No. No it's not Pulse had a shite online mode it was terrible at the best of times, I don't see where HD has inherited the huge inaccuracies (one of the weaknesses you surly speak of) that Pulses online brought to the table. HD plays wonderfully online, standards above anything Pulse could ever achieve.

Look at the weaponry also, shifted more back in the Pure direction in that the Plasma is actually worth a **** once more.

Further, Its 80% Wipeout Pure in terms of tracks with handling thats not quite Pure or Pulse, if anything its a good hybrid of the 2 games and not Wipeout Pulse HD.

The only thing I do not like thus far is Metropia, why did you have to include that? Pure has so many better tracks.