Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wipeout HD disappointment

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

Default Wipeout HD disappointment

Yeah, really. Don't get me wrong.. it's pretty, it's very pretty. but... it's still Pulse.

Hung out with TheFrostE and he showed it to me, and we did a lot of multiplayer... 30fps was a bit of a strain after seeing single player

admittedly I had a lot more fun with HD than Pulse... it may be because I was using a controller and not being forced to stare at such a tiny screen, but I did notice the handling was a little more responsive.. despite slight handling improvements over Pulse's garbage physics engine, though, I just cannot grasp the concept of how to maneuver around corners or on mag-strips, or why in god's name merely touching the wall STILL brings you to a dead stop... I mean, come on, I should NOT be doing 127kph in Phantom.

Ask travis, I wish I had a video of me playing... especially on a mag-strip.. Im lucky if I get halfway through a mag-strip area without fishtailing then careening left and right into each wall repeatedly. Not to mention I seemed to find every glitchy/quirky turn or drop-off or bad collission detection possible... I nearly got upside down multiple times, too (the upside-down thing being a staple of me playing ANY Wipeout after the tournament at Al's hahaha)

I don't know if I merely need more practice, or if XL, 64, and WO3 are truly my niche in the series.

I DO know that I won't own this game personally for at least two or three years because it's not enough to make me buy a PS3, and there's nothing else on the black monolith that interests me either (Super Stardust is cool, but I can live without it). It's a shame SL isn't third party... maybe HD would have seen an XBLA release, at which point I would at least be able to say I'd have bought it

On the plus side, at least HD is seeing a large audience... like Travis said, there are tons of people playing who have never touched a Wipeout game before... but that's both good and bad... they don't have anything to compare it to... they wouldn't understand why the weapon icons in the "2097" hud aren't the right colors. If they can enjoy it, that's what matters.

I saw a lot of names of people from the forums here on the fast times lists... but nobody here will see my name on the tables until the PS3 1) is less than 300 bucks, 2) has full backwards compatibility reinstated, and 3) has more than just Wipeout HD going for it in my eyes. I'm sticking with the old games, they just feel "right," you know? Maybe it's being able to wall scrape, maybe it's not slowing down to a crawl whenever your ship hits ANYthing whatsoever, maybe it's airbrakes that actually work, maybe it's having a sense of weight and momentum when you're barrelling down the track (or into someone)... Pure was tolerable, and at least had an awesome soundtrack... But I'll take Fusion over the latest 3 installments.

Also, why the hell is Auricom faster than Qirex? I asked the same damn thing when I first played Pure on the day it launched... it's almost as if both teams' stats are directly swapped.. Qirex is supposed to be the wicked fast heavyweight whose hard to control, and Auricom is supposed to be the more nimble one but a little slower.

And I unlocked the "Deadly Momentum" achievement for him while I was playing single player -_-

Time to go back to working on my last Wipeout XL video for youtube.

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

I think in Wipeout XL and 3 the crafts were designed to spring off the sides of the tracks, as well as the sides of the track themselves... I guess people felt that the speeding up portion of it was unrealistic, and that they should slow down, but I still don't see why they shouldn't be able to bounce off the sides... even tires could be at the outside of each wing to help the craft bounce off the sides with very little speed lost...

As for the swapping of teams, I thought the same thing... and it confuses fans like us, but we have to accept that teams would evolve differently than previous sequals, which are in a different timeline... and I understand what you mean by the weight of the crafts and the hurling feeling of wind and such... I don't have any clue why their's hardly any wind resistance in the new installments, as "realistically", the wind would be incredibly loud at those speeds... Like the first Wipeout...

I believe sideshift as well an BRs are so unrealistic, they should not be their... but it's more about gameplay I suppose, and it's SL's choice...

I love Wipeout Videos... thanx in advance!
    Last edited by Lance; 29th September 2008 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Unnecessary quotation eliminated.

PSN ID
    Axellink

I think BR's are unrealistic but side shifts aren't. Who is to say there arn't 90 degrees thrusters on the side of the crafts? A nice addition I must say, a little bit strong but its ok.

I know where your coming from AG-wolf and I've seen some of your crazy youtube vids (XL flying vids are nuts!!!) and the wipeout of old is gone now. I know, spending that amount of amoney for a PS3 is not justified for 1 game only. Even I wouldn't do that.

But this game is going in the right direction after Pulse anyway. I tend to find the crafts floaty, but then pitch is not good im afraid. But I think what will make this game stand out for the majority is the multiplayer. We now have a wipeout that is more accessible to everybody than the two PSP games ever could be. The fact that we can all play with each other with such ease is a winner.

I don't mind the team stat swapping at all. As Chill says, things will move and evolve over time.

This is still Pulse.

Yes. Yes, it is. It is exactly that. With fewer tracks and modes, though at a very nice price point. It inherits all of the strengths and the weaknesses of Pulse. I honestly don't understand those who say things like Pure and Pulse weren't great but this one rocks or even say this is just a step in the right direction. This is a step in no direction. It is Pulse, with tracks mostly from Pure. It has lovely fancy textures and, importantly, runs smoothly, which has to be commended. Really commended.

It is Pulse. But... we knew that, didn't we? Wasn't that always the plan? It seems a little odd to be disappointed with that at this point as that seemed to be the case from the day HD was announced.

Is a 60fps abridged remix of Pulse all that bad?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

Default Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by AG-wolf View Post
    I just cannot grasp the concept of how to maneuver around corners or on mag-strips, or why in god's name merely touching the wall STILL brings you to a dead stop...
    Curious viewpoints and quite an interesting read, Wolf, but my how opinions differ.

Concerning Pulse, you answered your own question several paragraphs below the above quote (the part about needing practice). When I began playing Pulse, I too experienced the fishtailing and careening you described, and very badly too. Compared to Pure's float city, which admittedly after retraining myself on Pulse, I concluded that I was simply mad to have spent so much time hotlapping on Pure with its precarious handling -- Pulse is downright heavenly in the control department compared to it, but that's once you get over the initial learning curve of its "tighter" control scheme.

And those quirky and glitchy dropoffs which tend to launch your ship into the teleporter and through time? Those too tend to smooth themselves out with practice. I can't tell you how puzzling it was for me at first to grok the transition from track to magstrip on De Konstruct White just after the start/finish line -- the game appeared to hiccup at first during it and then came the ugly fishtailing you described, but after some dozens of hours of practice, the oddity disappeared and it no longer was a source of puzzlement to me.

My opinion is, that despite the number one annoyance of single race times being corrupted to hell due to a dumb bug in the European version (fixed in the U.S. version thankfully), Pulse to me is possibly the most brilliant and innovative iteration of the series yet, especially because of the dark and dystopic makeover. Mind you I haven't had a chance at HD, but until then I stand firm.

I share your sentiments about the PS3 regarding cost and a lack of interest in its games -- recently bought one just for HD -- but when I made that decision, I did so with the thought in mind that I have a rather sizeable collection of PS1 and PS2 games that could be played on it, so its future value to me was going to be a positive one. With that in mind, I paid for a used PS3 from Ebay, complete with the hardware-based Emotion Engine for full PS2 backward compatibility that you fretted about. Options unlimited. Can't help you in the cost department though; I still paid over three hundred bucks for my used one.

Regards,

- F

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Technosis

I've never had the chance to play Pure or Pulse, so I'll just accept the comparisons already made in that area. There seems to be a wide range on whose favorite Wipeout game was in the series. For myself, it was always Wipeout and Wipeout XL. The third installment was polished up nicely, but it lost all it's feel to me. The gritty industrial future setting was replaced with a tidy technologically advanced society. I absolutely hated Fusion.

Looking at it on it's own, I think this is a fun game so far. It's definitely one of the reasons I had picked up the PS3. Like Flashback-Jack, I picked up the 60gb on Ebay to ensure I had hardware run backwards compatibility - mainly for the two original Wipeout games.

Comparing to to the series, I will even go as far to say that it's a good addition. I think the weapons effects are decent. A little flashy on a full track, but not as visually overpowering as I thought they would be. The ships have enough variance to break the monotony, yet aren't striving too hard to be radically different from team to team. This was probably one of my personal grievances with Fusion.

I could nitpick all day though. Certainly I can agree with allot of the points already brought up. I've noticed more difficulty carving deep into a corner using the airbrake. The joystick is doing more work. Speed class is a factor here of course, but pound for pound, I do miss the heavy airbrake approach. I think they could tone down the wall friction tad too. Not a ton, just a little. At least it not like hitting a brick wall as in the first Wipeout.

My chief complaint so far, is the pilot assist feature for races online. I cannot believe they put that in there without at least setting up as an optional feature when creating a race. If people want to race with their training wheels on, that's fine, but have that be a race option that all participants would adhere too for that event. I have absolutely no interest in racing people that have that feature turned on, but have no way out of it.

I guess the bottom line for me is that everything after Wipeout Xl was just a different game, to me at least. I don't ever expect to see anything else in this franchise that will ever really give me that same feel. But I've learned to just sort of accept it. For twenty bucks, I got a fun game that makes me smoke like a chimney and drink enough caffeinated liquids to kill a horse. That's all I asked for really.

just my .02
    Last edited by Boost; 30th September 2008 at 09:42 AM. Reason: mah spellin aint gud

PSN ID
    JamboGT

Hi all, thought I would put forward my thoughts. I have been playing WipEout from the very first release on PS1. Saying experience than the average gamer.

The original amazed me great graphics, great music, great physics, really tough. The slightest touch of the wall flipped the craft on the side almost!

2097, XL in America then came. It was stunning handled smoothly, felt fantastic and ramped down the difficulty slightly, allowing us to skim the walls. It was an epic game.

Wip3out was next and this was/is my favourite in the series. It took 2097 and made it, in my opinion, bigger, faster, better looking and had split-screen. It had a few problems mainly a menu screen that looked great but wasn't the most functional but I loved that game.

Fusion is something I cannot comment on. Didn't get on with it at all to be honest for me the worst in the series.

Pure to me was a breath of fresh air in the series, it reinvigorated it for me it was fast, fun, difficult it looked great. The handling was fun and zone mode looked amazing.

Pulse I didn't play as much of, I had my PSP stolen and have never got round to replacing, have only played it on a friends and did enjoy the small amount of time I had with it.

I started to download HD at about 4.24 or so on launch day. My opinion up to now is that it is fantastic. Graphically it is amazing and the frame rate is just amazing. As far as he Physics are concerned the game feels much tighter than the earlier games, it is certainly different but I have to say I really like it, the Analogue Stick allows me to be much more accurate with my steering and personally I feel the weight of the craft is much more obvious compared with the PSP games. The multiplayer is epic and it is a game I am recommending to one and all.

Yes it is different to the earlier "Trinity" but all games evolve (devolve for some) and I believe that this can be put in game terms that the craft are more advanced and handle tighter due to advances in technology (compare modern F1 cars to 80's and 70's never mind earlier!)

i think we can assume the original physics style is gone and that is sad but the new one is great as well. Just different.

Another way to say it:

"The King is dead, long live the King!"

Sorry about my rambling by the way!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Squallie

I will never give up hope on having the PSX era physics back in wipeout. >< .. =P

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Quote Originally Posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    It is Pulse. But... we knew that, didn't we? Wasn't that always the plan? It seems a little odd to be disappointed with that at this point as that seemed to be the case from the day HD was announced.
    Well, sort of. Pulse was bigger, had nicely designed reverse tracks, more music, more tracks, more game modes and the same puny online mode (in terms of functionality).

Is a 60fps abridged remix of Pulse all that bad?
    Hell, no! It's just not THAT good, either.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Squallie

For that price, yes it is. :]

But now I want to pay sony more to get mooore. xD (a fullprice game!)

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GTAce

I dont own a PSP, so this game is my first opportunity to play a full WipEout with good graphics since ages.
    I cant complain about that. lol

PSN ID
    RozPT

Quote Originally Posted by Skvall View Post
    For that price, yes it is. :]

But now I want to pay sony more to get mooore. xD (a fullprice game!)
    Oh you will! With DLC!

PSN ID
    TONY--T

Quote Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
    Hi all, thought I would put forward my thoughts. I have been playing WipEout from the very first release on PS1. Saying experience than the average gamer.

The original amazed me great graphics, great music, great physics, really tough. The slightest touch of the wall flipped the craft on the side almost!

2097, XL in America then came. It was stunning handled smoothly, felt fantastic and ramped down the difficulty slightly, allowing us to skim the walls. It was an epic game.

Wip3out was next and this was/is my favourite in the series. It took 2097 and made it, in my opinion, bigger, faster, better looking and had split-screen. It had a few problems mainly a menu screen that looked great but wasn't the most functional but I loved that game.

Fusion is something I cannot comment on. Didn't get on with it at all to be honest for me the worst in the series.

Pure to me was a breath of fresh air in the series, it reinvigorated it for me it was fast, fun, difficult it looked great. The handling was fun and zone mode looked amazing.

Pulse I didn't play as much of, I had my PSP stolen and have never got round to replacing, have only played it on a friends and did enjoy the small amount of time I had with it.

I started to download HD at about 4.24 or so on launch day. My opinion up to now is that it is fantastic. Graphically it is amazing and the frame rate is just amazing. As far as he Physics are concerned the game feels much tighter than the earlier games, it is certainly different but I have to say I really like it, the Analogue Stick allows me to be much more accurate with my steering and personally I feel the weight of the craft is much more obvious compared with the PSP games. The multiplayer is epic and it is a game I am recommending to one and all.

Yes it is different to the earlier "Trinity" but all games evolve (devolve for some) and I believe that this can be put in game terms that the craft are more advanced and handle tighter due to advances in technology (compare modern F1 cars to 80's and 70's never mind earlier!)

i think we can assume the original physics style is gone and that is sad but the new one is great as well. Just different.

Another way to say it:

"The King is dead, long live the King!"

Sorry about my rambling by the way!
    could not have said it better myself!

The cars in SL`s F1 games handle just as much like Trinity Game ships as the ships in HD. Those car games do weight extremely well and you have to learn to manage it. You had to in Pure aswell, and that`s one reason why Pure with faster acceleration would have been a better handling system for this game, for me. Pure was "precarious" as Flash said - hence the fun, imo. Everything else is there in HD, and the game is full of great stuff and is fast and challenging, but as with Pulse it feels more like you`re maneuvering a graphical object than a possibly real world object that weighs several tons and is travelling at an insane speed. I would also like to see the possibility to fly sideways instead of pivoting all the time, and stronger brakes to compensate. It just feels better like that, to me. So I suppose I`m slightly disappointed about the handling, but what Dogg Thang said is true. If we are disappointed it can only be because of false expectations.

I think this is the right WipEout for the times. It is certainly a WipEout game and will hopefully keep the series going.

I thought Boost`s post was great, agree with most of that.

Tampere, Finland (Land of Xios and Outpost 7!)
    Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Shozovulnai

WipEout has changed. It's no longer about old graphics, floaty gameplay and one-shot-kill plasmas. It's an endless series of online battles fought by experienced and newbies. WipEout - and its consumption of time - has become a well-oiled mainstream game.

WipEout has changed. ID-tagged pilots carry ID-tagged helmets, use ID-tagged ships. Instincts inside their bodies enhance and regulate their abilities. Steering control. Airbrake control. Weapon control. Barrel roll control. Everything is monitored and kept under control.

WipEout has changed. The age of useless autopilots has become the age of control... All in the name of averting the weapons from hitting the audience. And he who controls the race... controls worldwide rankings.

WipEout has changed. When the ship is under control... ...race becomes routine.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Amon69it

Wow mate, that gave me chills

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Squallie

HAHAHA... thank you!

PSN ID
    Axellink

Superb!!! lol

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Ahahahahah!!!

The sad thing about it: it's not too untrue.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

Quote Originally Posted by lunar View Post
    I would also like to see the possibility to fly sideways instead of pivoting all the time..
    Like Pulse, I'm sure it's possible when you start to push the ships harder and harder around deep corners.

- F