Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wipeout HD disappointment

I don`t think I explained myself very well, Flash. It`s not something you learn to do or make the ship do - in the older games it`s something the ship does whether you like it or not and you have to control it, ride it, whatever, to get round the course. Flying a Qirex in the early games is the best example. I guess you would call it momentum, inertia, weight, that sort of thing. Pulse and HD have very little of it, to me. Obviously you can fly sideways in Pulse, simply by double tapping the airbrake, but it`s not the same thing.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

You mean the drifting of the ship (mainly its back), eh?
    I miss that too.
    But that's a characteristic of the old WO games and - sadly - most likely gone forever.

Talking Love it

Played it (WOHD) for the first time last night - how can anybody complain, seriously its cheap (although I'd have paid £40 for a boxed verison) and plays like a dream.

By far the best looking WO ever and it handles like it should (feels like 2097 to me) I just wish I had a rumble controller now instead of this lightweight tat that came with my PS3 (PS3 name neochrome).

AG Systems, lets be friends

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

Lunar is on the same page as me. He knows exactly what I'm talking about...

And I just went to try and get one of my XL videos to try and show an example... but I realized something... the weight/momentum/etc is not visible, you only feel it.

Maybe the new WO crew at SL only watched videos of the old games and never played them? or at least didn't play them thoroughly.

PSN ID
    Axellink

Hmmm you can do that in HD. AB plus anolgue stick and good speed. Trust me it's possible. But it's not easily done. Best ship to use is Assagai.

I know exactly what Lunar is talking about and I think it's down to something quite fundamental to the Pure/Pulse system and has now carried into HD.

With the older games, it felt like I was steering one whole mass. With Pure/Pulse/HD, I am steering a single small point at the front of the craft and what we see as the craft itself acts more like a tail, swinging around that point. I have never quite figured out if it's the physics and that's how it actually works, or if it's actually about how the camera works, which now seems to be following that single point.

Either way, it's now a well-established part of the modern WO games.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    dobyblue

Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post
    Like Flashback-Jack, I picked up the 60gb on Ebay to ensure I had hardware run backwards compatibility - mainly for the two original Wipeout games.
    The original two WipEout games play with no issues on any version of the PS3, as is the case with just about all PSOne titles.

No difference in how they're run from the 60GB to the 80GB to the 40GB.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

For most games there mightn't be much of a compatibility difference among the various PS3 versions, but PS2 game compatibility is pretty much absolute on Emotion-enabled consoles, and PS1 game compatibility is as absolute as a PS2's ability to emulate them.

Quote Originally Posted by lunar View Post
    Obviously you can fly sideways in Pulse, simply by double tapping the airbrake, but it`s not the same thing.
    I understood your explanation. I meant you could get ships to fly sideways in Pulse in deep bends, but you basically had to lean on the airbrakes and turn well in advance to make it happen. Not quite the same effect as it effortlessly occurs in earlier Wipeout versions, but there's still a much tamer strain of it in Pulse.

- F
    Last edited by Flashback Jack; 29th September 2008 at 02:38 PM.

thanks, Flash, I see now.

Max, Wolfie, Dogg Thang, I think you all did a better job than me of turning an illusory feeling into language

Medusa is still the winner though: "turning is akin to having a dogsled hitched up to nitrous-oxide-fed dogs, except there is a moose carcass dragging along on either side of the dogsled.."

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Hmmm need to get a few thoughts out here.

Quote Originally Posted by AG-wolf View Post
    Ask travis, I wish I had a video of me playing... especially on a mag-strip.. Im lucky if I get halfway through a mag-strip area without fishtailing then careening left and right into each wall repeatedly.
    I agree that was a problem for me in Pulse at the beginning but I find the HD mag strips are 100% easier to fly on, it’s one of the first thoughts I had after racing Metropia. What control system are you using?

I don't know if I merely need more practice, or if XL, 64, and WO3 are truly my niche in the series.
    The former.

It's a shame SL isn't third party... maybe HD would have seen an XBLA release
    Yeah, no thanks, there are enough third party games out there that fail to harness the PS3s power properly thanks to the 360.

But I'll take Fusion over the latest 3 instalments.
    Through the floor went your credibility, I have to ask, just in case you made an error, ARE YOU SERIOUS?? What makes Fusion better than Pure or HD? The million bugs? The death of classic teams? The stupid looking pilots? The utter shite physics? I’m in no way Pulses biggest fan but to state that it has garbage physics then say you’d rather have Fusion is almost laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    This is still Pulse.

Yes. Yes, it is. It is exactly that. With fewer tracks and modes, though at a very nice price point. It inherits all of the strengths and the weaknesses of Pulse.
    No. No it's not Pulse had a shite online mode it was terrible at the best of times, I don't see where HD has inherited the huge inaccuracies (one of the weaknesses you surly speak of) that Pulses online brought to the table. HD plays wonderfully online, standards above anything Pulse could ever achieve.

Look at the weaponry also, shifted more back in the Pure direction in that the Plasma is actually worth a **** once more.

Further, Its 80% Wipeout Pure in terms of tracks with handling thats not quite Pure or Pulse, if anything its a good hybrid of the 2 games and not Wipeout Pulse HD.

The only thing I do not like thus far is Metropia, why did you have to include that? Pure has so many better tracks.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    BitWinter

Quote Originally Posted by Skvall View Post
    I will never give up hope on having the PSX era physics back in wipeout. >< .. =P
    Maybe as DLC...one feature can be to unlock XL physics!.
    After unlocking just the XL HUD I have to say that I was amazed at the difference this makes... The nostalgia was there

Long live XL!

Timezone
    GMT -5

Maybe the new WO crew at SL only watched videos of the old games and never played them? or at least didn't play them thoroughly.
    Chris Roberts worked on Wipeout 2097, Quantum Redshift and Wipeout HD; Martin Linklater worked on Quantum Redshift, Wipeout Pure, Wipeout HD (and owns Wipeout (PC/Sega/PS), Wipeout 64, Wipeout 3) - so I doubt that was a factor.

maybe HD would have seen an XBLA release, at which point I would at least be able to say I'd have bought it
    Truth is that nobody can complain about it unless they purchased the original XBox AND Quantum Redshift - that was the time to show support. As it is right now, Quantum Redshift is on the XBox 360 Backward Compatibility List and it should be available used for less than Wipeout HD. But it's too late to change anything.

I don't know if I merely need more practice, or if XL, 64, and WO3 are truly my niche in the series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
    2097, XL in America then came. It was stunning handled smoothly, felt fantastic and ramped down the difficulty slightly, allowing us to skim the walls. It was an epic game. Wip3out was next and this was/is my favourite in the series.
    Good thing that those Wipeout 2097/XL (PS) and wipEout 3 discs still work on any PS/PS2/PS3 so you can still get your fix. And I'm all for Sony making them available as PSOne Classics on PSN for PS3(PSP).

Wipeout HD is the latest addition/variation in the Wipeout family. It is clear that it isn't your favourite - however it is currently the only choice for console+on-line wipEout. You are entitled to your preferences however there comes a point where it starts to sound like "I don't want to adapt to a new control scheme/new handling/new look". So because "Wipeout" generates certain expectations for you personally, you feel disappointed. Once you get beyond that, is there no merit to this fantasy/futuristic anti-gravity combat racer on the PS3?

PSN ID
    JamboGT

Just in case you didn't read my post fully I thought it made it clear that I absolutely love HD . Its a different game but that is fine with me as well!

i will repeast again:

The King is dead. Long Live the King!

PSN ID
    Crobweb

Quote Originally Posted by HydrogLox View Post
    ...purchased the original XBox AND Quantum Redshift - that was the time to show support.
    Yeah, and then I'd be driving round the Mediterranean in a ferrari-boat now instead of getting the train to work!

PSN ID
    RozPT

Quote Originally Posted by Shozovulnai View Post
    WipEout has changed. It's no longer about old graphics, floaty gameplay and one-shot-kill plasmas. It's an endless series of online battles fought by experienced and newbies. WipEout - and its consumption of time - has become a well-oiled mainstream game.

WipEout has changed. ID-tagged pilots carry ID-tagged helmets, use ID-tagged ships. Instincts inside their bodies enhance and regulate their abilities. Steering control. Airbrake control. Weapon control. Barrel roll control. Everything is monitored and kept under control.

WipEout has changed. The age of useless autopilots has become the age of control... All in the name of averting the weapons from hitting the audience. And he who controls the race... controls worldwide rankings.

WipEout has changed. When the ship is under control... ...race becomes routine.
    Nice adaptation (although I think most of the users didn't get the MGS4 reference)

Anyway, about the old vs. new school theme... It's just like fighting games. Street Fighter II was the **** as many of you know, and many people love it to death. When SFIII came out it had very different mechanics from SFII and many people loathed it. Now SFIV is coming out and people are comparing it to SFIII...

My point is, old games never die and new games just really need to move forward. Like the fighting game comunity, the WO comunity is pretty hardcore and dedicated long hours to WO, 2097 and W3 so when big gameplay altering changes come, it's hell on earth. Well, WipEout has to evolve and adapt to the market and age it's in. WipEout will never be the same as the 1st three and I hope for that. I love the oldies but really, games have to evolve and introduce new concepts so that they can survive in the turbulent market.

That being said, I think we're lucky that SL has such a talented bunch of people working in WO. I've seen old games try to adapt to this new age of gaming that failed miserably and died. If Pure, Pulse and HD are an example of what SL can do for the future then our beloved WipEout will last long years.

Sure, it may not be 2097 nor W3 but damn, SL sure works hard to cater the hardcore fans and the new ones. And with success in my opinion

Rock on!

Timezone
    GMT + 2

Well it has been ages since I played WipeOut. My first encounter with WipeOut 2097 was on the PSX, since then I missed out on WipeOut Fusion (grateful due the bad reviews it got) for the PS2 and WipeOut 3 which was also released on PSX, too.

It really makes me sad, their is no ultimate craft to achieve. But I guess the trophies make up for the missing bonus. I'm also very displeased the Phantom class has become nothing but a slow walking duck, in WipeOut 2097 (XL) it was the best in each category. Now it's only about Speed > and Shields, but I fail to see it's Speed benefits. I find other crafts to be much faster than the Phantom, I can also see the negatively exaggerated speed reduction if you touch the borders in a curve. *GETS ON MY NERVES, EACH TIME*

Although I can understand the many unrealistic aspects of the game which are met by a let believe reality a major let down for the game. Especially if you salt it to much with that ingredient.

As for the music album some tracks are nice and some should have been tuned a bit. The electro genre has come a long way since 1996, so I can't understand why the missing balance is underachieved. After a while they got on my nerves with the increased difficulty, so I turned them off.

It should have been released way back or maybe hosted a beta, just to scratch the surface for polishing the game. I found so many inconsistencies, well I will eventually try to write something. Exploiting in a non harmful way the inner logic of the game.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Quote Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
    Just in case you didn't read my post fully I thought it made it clear that I absolutely love HD . Its a different game but that is fine with me as well!
    Sorry for quoting you out of context. It's just that some of the general, more vocal negative focus on what Wipeout HD isn't, rather than on what's good about it, can get a bit tiresome and unjustifiably drowns out Wipeout HD's positive accomplishments.

Quote Originally Posted by Crob View Post
    Yeah, and then I'd be driving round the Mediterranean in a ferrari-boat now instead of getting the train to work!
    Hmmm ... a case of "the mountain coming to mohammed"? (Climate may turn UK Mediterranean) I think you're responsible for that boat yourself though.
    Last edited by HydrogLox; 29th September 2008 at 08:53 PM.

A Ferrari, Chris? How big a share of CM did you own!??! Man, I'm in the wrong line of business [retired and unemployed ].

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Quote Originally Posted by Roz View Post
    so when big gameplay altering changes come, it's hell on earth.
    If Pure, Pulse and HD are an example of what SL can do for the future then our beloved WipEout will last long years.
    SL sure works hard to cater the hardcore fans and the new ones. And with success in my opinion
    Nicely put. And so true.

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

Quote Originally Posted by Axel View Post
    I think BR's are unrealistic but side shifts aren't. Who is to say there arn't 90 degrees thrusters on the side of the crafts? A nice addition I must say, a little bit strong but its ok.
    Okay that is true... They should start making the thruster's wind visible...

Here's my little opinion on the series:

First I didn't like Wipeout too much as I was really young, and found it very hard and intimidating... and I lost a lot and it felt harsh cause it was so much work for me, but I started to get into it a lot more as I got older... then when Wipeout XL was out (which I didn't know about) I continued replaying the original wondering if they would ever make a new one, as since I had learned to get better, I didn't want this series to ever die out...

The I found out they had already made sequals, and bought the latest Wipeout 3, skipping XL to be up-to-date... So this is why I didn't fall in love with XL's physics, cause it was Wipeout 3 that had these physics for me first, so that's the game I loved and replayed over and over... My favorite of the series... Literally went coockoo for the series at that point, and even found out about Wipeoutzone...

I then got extremely excited about Fusion, as it had one of the best dark massive styles I've ever experienced, but then when the game and the physics actually came, my high hopes that it's advertisement had given me were crushed... this game would have been so great if it remained with the original type of physics...

After a long, long wait that seemed, cause Wipeour Fusion's Zone mode was the only thing I got into and was beginning to wear off, came Wipeout Pure. BAM!!! I loved it!! It was so open and aggressive, and bright like the sun had just come out after several years of not being revieled, with a huge burst of energy to burn off... I just didn't see the realism in the BR (nor did I have any idea what side-shift was until way late in my playing process) It was also around this time that I started buying previous sequals of the series (XL, 2097, re-bought original as the first one didn't exist, a new copy of WO3, WO3 SE, a second copy on it's way, and two neGcons)... I still play all of these, as I'm getting a link cord to hook up with some PSX's and will be competing with a friend and juggin' down that Red Bull...

Wipeout Pulse then came out... Didn't have as strong of an appeal to me as Wipeout Pure, but I bought it, and didn't really get into it until not too long before Wipeout HD's release date at all... and after getting my own music on their (I feel the in-game music literally sucked, the tracks had little to no fulfillment to them what-so-ever), I'm starting to actually fall in love with it... Didn't like the physics at first either, but it takes getting use to to like... Love the fact that zone mode is available on every track... that's the mode in this game that brings on the good practice for racing... just starting to play online mode, for me it's a huge impact in the series, as I love online games...

I think Wipeout HD is going to be great on a large HDTV, as if it is pulse and pure, just with great graphics, better sound with personal music preference, and it's zone mode, better online... man I'm baggin' this shizznit!!! I'm buyin' a PS3 for it!!

All ya'll old type gamers need to just start a lot of practice on pulse until you start reaching up to Phantom... then it kicks in that this game is actually badass... It took me a few years to find out... And now I will enjoy all the new features because of it...

My thought is how possible would it be to take a PS1 title, sell it on PSN ALONG with Online play and personal music... cause I would play those online like a crack-addict!!! Even with the original graphics!!! Because I too love the leaning effect of the craft's momentum throughout the series, and feel that it should remain alive to some extent...

If not, I think Wipeout, considering it re-made the mix of Wipeout Pure and Pulse (with slightly different effects-off this topic)... Why not make a Wipeout XL/3 next... even a new version of the original one... and if this weight thing comes back... I want a negcon please... NeGcons need not die either!!! At least not for these sequals...
    Last edited by Chill; 30th September 2008 at 12:32 AM.