Thread: W'O"MG! It's not really 1920*1080 HD

In the middle of nowhere somewhere in north
    Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    supersox

Default W'O"MG! It's not really 1920*1080 HD

http://insidethedigitalfoundry.blogs...t-of-hand.html

But as he said in the end: Like it matters.

(And no, I'm not least bit bitter to you guys having PS3, honestly )

PSN ID
    Axellink

The dynamic framebuffer is amazing stuff SL. Well done, this would make a lot of sense to do as it would be very difficult to maintain 60FPS with everything happening at once

Yeah, I read that yesterday. It's really interesting and certainly a neat trick. With the exception of the screen tearing, the game runs beautifully on my 1080p television.

it does actually run at 1080P most of the time and when it does drop down it's still 50% higher than 720p it's actually amazing that they can do that, I never new it was possible, I hope they start to do it for all games then we would never have frame rate problems again.

I wonder if PS3 is capable of running Wipeout HD at 1080p all the time with 60 fps. My guess is that it was cheaper to introduce a dynamic frame buffer than optimize the code so that Wipeout would run smooth 60 fps at all times. I may be wrong of course..

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Doesn't matter anyways, you don't notice it most of the times.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Wip3ou7pure

That is amazing technology and SL pioneered that if I'm not mistaken. That is groundbreaking!

Don't get me wrong, it sure is a great idea, hats off for SL. I was just wondering what was the reason to apply it. Is it the limit of PS3 power or was it cheaper to implement dynamic framebuffer.

PSN ID
    CaptainGrim

Quote Originally Posted by Perforu View Post
    I wonder if PS3 is capable of running Wipeout HD at 1080p all the time with 60 fps. My guess is that it was cheaper to introduce a dynamic frame buffer than optimize the code so that Wipeout would run smooth 60 fps at all times. I may be wrong of course..
    It wasn't a case of not wanting to optimise the code... the problem is that games don't necessary have a constant rendering cost all around the track and in all game situations. For a ship flying by itself around the track, we balance the amount of detail in the rendering models to make sure that we're roughly drawing the same amount of stuff all the time. In situations when there are lots of ships firing lots of weapons (SFX are quite expensive) this level can jump much higher than we can control. All we could do would be to reduce the amount drawn in these cases which would detract from the quality of the image.

The "throttling" technique was only ever used to "iron out" these situations. 99% of the time, the game was running solidly at 1920x1080!

Thanks for joining the discussion Of course the render cost is a variable depending on many factors. I just thought that PS3 should be capable of dealing with even most demanding scenarios of a Wipeout HD race. Activision's CEO expects PS3 to last at least 8 years. So my guess was that PS3's computing power is far more than present games need (including Wipeout HD).
    Last edited by Task; 27th September 2008 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Quotation of previous post removed