Page 8 of 87 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: Random HD Questions that don't need a thread of their own.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Sturm_Fury

Quote Originally Posted by zeeZ View Post
    Or it's also the location of the shield generator or the area it's linked to the engine. It handles tiny hits just fine (like, for instance, your ship crashing into a wall at 1000km/h) but the huge blow those weapons deliver cause it to overheat and catch on fire.
    Ok, I know I'm digging back up an earlier topic, but I like this explanation...not to mention, if the shield and engine were linked in their power source, it would certainly explain why your craft slows down any time it takes a hit, even from the rear; power is diverted from the engine to boost shield mitigation...just my $0.02, of course.

PSN ID
    humangoogle -OFW-

*Dreams of Freespace style sheild/weapons/engine management system*

Ok I have a question. When racing online, I've noticed some ships are sometimes transparent and you can pass through them, yet others aren't (I think). Why is this?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    b4p-

I *think* all the ships are transparent only for a few seconds at the very beginning of the race (and possibly after they blow up and respawn). Also, some people are using the silver campaign skins so that might be mistaken for transparency later in the race.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

That is also the case when you play with someone who is at the antipode from you ( i.e. you are living in the euro zone and you play against Japanese or NZ pilots )

In GT5P the cars ghost when another driver is being an ass (i.e. driving the wrong way, sitting parked on an apex) or when the network connection gets laggy. I'd guess the same applies in wipeout - if you sit motionless on the track for a little while then you'll ghost, I haven't tried it driving backwards (yet ). Sounds like latency can cause it too, judging by Asayyeah's post.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

maybe just a stupid question, for avoiding to start an entire thread about i ask here

wipeout HD have antialiasing?
    i have a samsung series 5 full HD 32" TV, why the oblique lines appear to be likes the one you do in the microsoft paint , and sometimes there are grainy surfaces?
    expecially in the shots i do with the photo mode...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

WipEout HD has a dynamic framebuffer, basically what it means is that the game renders at a certain resolution (determined with the number of things happening on screen, ie the greater the action the lower that resolution) and is then upscaled to 1080p. Most of the times it runs at 1080p though, but for the few times it drops to the ''Upscaling method'' you will see aliasing because the native resolution of your screen (1920x1080) will not match the resolution the game is rendered at before being upscaled. So you will end up with a few pixels showing the same part of the image, thus the aliasing effect. If you take a screenshot at that exact time, well I believe it will carry over to the screenshot as well. Also I don't think WOHD does AA, since it is 1080p most of the times you won't see aliasing that much though.

PSN ID
    Crobweb

FYI, if you want nice anti-aliasing in photo mode make sure you enable one of the "heavy-duty" effects (either depth-of-field or motion-blur) - if you don't want to see the dof or blur, set it to the minimum level. This allows the game to use a sub-pixel jitter giving over 100x super-sampled anti-aliasing with floating point accuracy (which is one reason the image quality in photo-mode can look very high).

As for real-time AA, it depends on what resolution your running in. Photomode always runs at full resolution.

Neat little trick. Thanks for the info, Chris.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

really i haven't enough words for thank you Crob and Darkdrium, it's very nice to know that isn't my tv since it's new i have bought it in mid july

thank you very much for the photo mode tips, i think someone should consider to start a thread about tips and tricks about photo mode , cause for one that isn't well up in that, like me, sometimes can be quite confusing

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Crob BTW unless it is actually you please thank the person who figured out the dynamic frame buffer. He is a genius This should be done for all games.

PSN ID
    Crobweb

Well, obviously theres no official statement to indicate whether or not WOHD is using any kind of dynamic resolution trickery, but *if* I were to implement such a system I would probably have nicked the idea from another PS3 game developed near liverpool which may or may not be doing a similar kind of thing (although no one seems to have spotted that it may or may not be doing the same thing )

TBH I'm sure there are probably loads of games out there that have done it - its really not hard at all... (not that I'd know since I may or may not have tried it...)

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

Motorstorm / Motorstorm Pacific Rift by any chance?
    (Evolution Studios)
    Runcorn is very close to Liverpool = ]

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

There's no need to be mysterious, your previous post kinda gives it away
    What I meant to say is that every game should be like WOHD, run at 1080p and 60 (or 30, worst case scenario) using that same trickery While 720p is good, 1080p is truly the best so that's why I said I wanted all games to do it like WOHD. That would truly be awesome

Although keep being mysterious, it makes the discussion much more entertaining

Go, Chris!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

why they had take out the " 3-2-1-GO! " voice announcer at the last minute?

there are videos from few days before release around web where you can see it

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Where are those cool arches on Moa Therma? You know the ones with the lights moving up them? Track lost character when those went.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

indeed, and why in HD metropia forward is metropia black minus a jump section and metropia white course don't exist anymore?

Timezone
    GMT + 1

I think SL did just the right thing with Metropia! Metropia White in Pulse is a very short track and everything from this track is in the HD version except the long sweeping turn to the left with the jump at the end! Metropia in HD is the black one from Pulse but better with no jumps and respawns. Metropia reverse is even better with the blind corner after the magstrip, superb!