Page 7 of 87 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: Random HD Questions that don't need a thread of their own.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

It's called cheating.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Before on Pure ( less in pulse since acceleration is way faster than pure)when i had a dead spot (i.e. 5 consecutive mines) i sideshift ( left or right) to get a mini boost speed then try to hit the nearest boostpad
    But yeah like MArtin said AI clearly cheating

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rubix42

Well, that makes me feel better. I had tried everything. Letting off the thrust for a moment and firing back up, etc, etc, etc. Nothing worked. As long as it's just the AI cheating, I can deal with that.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Why do weapons set the back of my ship on fire? I thought I had an energy shield that stopped everything making contact with the actually body of the craft? Makes no sense.

Since everyone is so obsessed with making Wipeout realistic, don't you think all this burning and flaming of my ship is going to cause a failure at some point no?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Drugs-Bunny

The fire effect behind your craft is most likely due to your aircraft overtaking the weapon trail. So if you fire a missile and it leaves a fiery trail, your craft will catch up with the trail. Maybe SL should make the trails shorter, or just make it dissapear once it hits a craft

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

What? How can there be a trail if the missile hits the back of my ship? Surly any trail the missile left would end there instantly at the point of impact?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Drugs-Bunny

I might have misunderstood your question. I was under the impression that the missile was from your craft, not someone else's.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier Racer View Post
    Why do weapons set the back of my ship on fire? I thought I had an energy shield that stopped everything making contact with the actually body of the craft? Makes no sense.

Since everyone is so obsessed with making Wipeout realistic, don't you think all this burning and flaming of my ship is going to cause a failure at some point no?
    actually you've pointed up an interesting fact, indeed it should work this way, your ship had an energy shield and in fact when you pick up the "shield" from the weapon pads it is in truth the temporary SHIELD of the SHIELD, the point is that as i think SL has inteded , when your ship reach zero energy don't explode immediately( as in 2097 ), but it just simple devoid of protection so what's up next cause to your ship to be detroyed, a simple collision at 700 km/h realistically talking sure cause such irreparable damage,
    i think the flame effect is one of the cool effect ever in truth, but i don't know if it had much sense

It makes no sense at all - it`s just pretty. I`m with Rapier Racer. The whole thing makes absolutely no sense if you really start to think about it.

Or as Rob has said - it`s the video game of the real event. It`s like Sensible Soccer compared to the real life Premier League. But that doesn`t stop it being the coolest game series ever.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

Can someone explain the button sensitivity settings for me? I want the acceleration button to have the most sensitivity it can get. So do I want it set to 100% or 10%? It seems like I rest my thumb in the X button and the square at the same time and half the time I find myself slowing down because I'm not pushing the acceleration button down enough.

Never mind. I found it earlier in this thread. Sorry. I swear I looked through it though. :-) Assuming I understand it correctly for the most sensitivity I need it set to 10%.
    Last edited by crawdad62; 28th October 2008 at 03:08 PM. Reason: found answer.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    zeeZinator

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier Racer View Post
    Due to <scientific technobabble> your rear around the exhaust area is the only unprotected part for whatever reason you might come up with. To prevent the shield from shielding the thrust which would result in your ship sitting there like a (floating) pile of scrap? Doesn't explain how you mines cause that...

Or it's also the location of the shield generator or the area it's linked to the engine. It handles tiny hits just fine (like, for instance, your ship crashing into a wall at 1000km/h) but the huge blow those weapons deliver cause it to overheat and catch on fire.

Whatever it is, it looks nice even if you don't want it to happen to you lots

That sensitivity thing is really odd, depending on everyone's definition of "sensitivity". Set it to 100% and a gentle push is a tiny thrust, set it to 10% and the slightest touch results in full throttle... It's really confuzzling...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

Quote Originally Posted by lunar View Post
    It makes no sense at all - it`s just pretty. I`m with Rapier Racer. The whole thing makes absolutely no sense if you really start to think about it.

Or as Rob has said - it`s the video game of the real event. It`s like Sensible Soccer compared to the real life Premier League. But that doesn`t stop it being the coolest game series ever.
    indeed

or simple. we cannot understand well how will works the technology of the XXIII century, and is cool at it is , to remain partially unexplained

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Ah but you see the old shield stopping the thrust bit would be easy to explain, do you watch Stargate SG-1?

See the ships are shielded but the shields are only one way they won't stop stuff being fired from the inside out only stuff being fired upon the ship. It would need to be this way for Wipeout or else the cannons would get smashed off surely? What about all the other stuff inderneath the ship that holds the other weaponry in place? You wouldnt want that burning to explode a rocket before you'd fired it off your ship now

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Simple...Adamantium.

Quote Originally Posted by zeeZ View Post
    That sensitivity thing is really odd, depending on everyone's definition of "sensitivity". Set it to 100% and a gentle push is a tiny thrust, set it to 10% and the slightest touch results in full throttle... It's really confuzzling...
    Yeah, the 'sensitivity' setting seems to define the amount of button movement before 100 percent throttle is achieved.

Welcome to the WZ, zeeZ.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

mates, it's time that i have a interesting question that i forget to do everytime

what's up with the pilot of the 2nd and 3rd skin of feisar?

why there's a boogeyman inside the cockpit?

it's just SL had forget to add texture on the pilot model ,
    or it's just my " copy" of the game ? want to know if it's the same for everybody, if someone else had the same lack

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

@ Lance

Now that makes sense. That's why I was having trouble getting my head around the % settings. % of what? But your explanation seem logical.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rubix42

Going back to the fire question, I think that the shield that protects the ship normally, which is tied to energy, is a thin layer shield, when this shield takes weapons fire, the shield itself catches on fire. Once the shield is completely depleted, the next unshielded collision causes so much damage that the ship breaks apart. Especially because these ships are made of such thin, lightweight materials to be able to attain the speeds they reach.

Now the shield item pickup on the track is an overpowered shield boosts that exists around the ship, it is much stronger. However, it is in a ready state when activated. Meaning that when it sense an impending collision with a weapon, wall, ship, etc. it goes up to full power to completely protect the ship. However when no collision is imminent, it is simply surrounding the ship in passive mode to avoid disrupting the flight physics.

The competition commitee for the FX league decided that making this a short term ability added to the excitement and mayhem of the league.

See, it makes complete sense

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    b4p-

here's a random question: i suck at this game? answer: yes

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Thats really more of a declaration than a question