Page 13 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: Random HD Questions that don't need a thread of their own.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

How could there be a sync issue on a split screen multiplayer game?
    Both players game data is being produced by the same console.

I think the bomb issue is an online problem ,same as the dreaded non functioning weapons pads which ruined a few races again last night,as well as the ability to fly straight through an opponent [collision detection not in sync]

I doubt if these issues would be replicated in split screen mode.
    Though stranger things have happened,but I'd be surprised if it did.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    zeeZinator

I always assumed stuff like that was also controlled by the host. For instance when I was racing someone from Japan and went over a weapon pad, it took ages for me to actually get the weapon. So if you dropped a bomb, the host would place it wherever it thought you where when you said you'd drop it

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

No, these problems only happen online. Split screen is slower than single player (30FPS vs 60FPS), but the weapons work the way they should.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

That's what I thought. So in splitscreen, if you go wide around a bomb, there is no way it can go off? And if you go straight through it, there's no way it doesn't blow? In that case, Wellington's theory of a varying trigger radius around a bomb is proven false, and it's really just a synch issue.

PSN ID
    Wellington86

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdrium777 View Post
    I think you misread my post a little Wellington. I did say I think this is a synchronization problem.
    I know you said it was a synchronisation problem, my point was that even as a proponent of that idea you still provided the best reason why it is likely to be wrong.

Clearly though I am wrong if bombs don't behave like this offline. I'll race the AI later on and see what happens there. Looks like I've been giving SL too much credit .

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

About the bomb issue online, it never happens offline, I played recently against
    the AI and even if you barely avoid it, it'll never explode.

It's really strange that mines are unaffected...

I don't know how they made this bug, but it should work this way,
    say A is the player using the bomb, and B is the player hitting/avoiding
    the bomb.

If A is just in front of B and uses the bomb, then the game can detonate it if
    A thinks it should hit B, or if B thinks it should it him (so both points of
    view are correct), or the server itself can decide. But if there is some lag,
    then B might not see the bomb yet and then it'll avoid the bomb while A knew
    that it had to hit him, so maybe it's best to use A point of view.

Now if A used the bomb and 1 second (or more) later, B hits it or avoids it,
    in this case it's up to the B computer (ps3) to decide if it's really avoided
    or hit.
    It shouldn't be A nor the server, A knows he used a bomb but doesn't know what's
    going to happen so if it doesn't explode he won't care (he would in the first
    scenario because he knew for a fact that he was just in front of B).
    It shouldn't be the server because the server doesn't really know all the exact
    positions of B ship.
    So it should be B, if B ps3 thinks that B player avoided the bomb, then it
    should be so, after all B player did the correct movement to avoid it, one
    he practiced offline, and if it exploded then he won't understand why.
    This should be done even if the bomb is really placed at another place,
    nobody will know that.

^ If I had to code it, I think I would do it this way.

Just tested the bomb (I used split screen but you really don't need to - just fly around til you get one, then slow down, drop it, stop, turn around and go back). You can get your ship right up to it and it wont go off til you poke your nose inside the sphere.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Laeke

What is the Weapon pads issue?

I tought it was part of the game, that sometimes you would pass upon a weapon pad at a bad time, when it is "not active", a bit like what happens when chasing someone and he gets the weapon. I noticed that in some online races, you would be deprived of weapons for a complete lap or more, even though you are not close behind another craft... although it happens more in the pack, so I guess maybe another sync/lag/extrapolation issue?
    I have also seen the lag between the moment I fly over and when the weapon is activated, I guess it cannot be avoided.

EDIT: Oh yeah, another possible online issue. Sometimes whan I want to join a game, I will have a message "An error occured while trying to join the room" (and not because the race started). Sometimes if I try again, i will join the room, sometimes the game continues giving me the same message. I tought that was maybe linked to "friends only" races or a "full room" thing but I am not sure of that: I saw that happening in seemingly empty lobbies and if it was friends only, I shouldn't be able to join it 10 seconds later (the host could have changed the setting, but I do not think it is likely that it happened several times?)
    Last edited by Laeke; 8th January 2009 at 09:30 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    afatsuoM

Angry Barrel rolls

Can someone give me some tips on how to do better barrel rolls? I'm getting really frustrated trying to nail barrel rolls on phantom speeds. Especially flying over small jumps, 90% of my barrel rolls just don't work. Like the jump after the first corner on Sebenco Climb. Sometimes I even get in trouble flying down the big drop in Chengou Project. I yank the left analog stick from left to right to left and... nothing happens.

I tried different techniques like doing a left right left right left right etc. (up to eight), but that doesn't help much. I also tried making a few circles with the analog stick, but that doesn't help much either. These techniques get me to maybe 80% failure rate (not enough!). Using the d-pad gets me to 50%, but i can't get used to racing with the d-pad.

The problem is mostly with small jumps, but like i said; a lot of times even the big drop in Chengou Project or jumping off the shortcut in Anulpha Pass.

Looking at video's online, everyone seems to pull off barrel rolls a lot quicker than i do.

Tips anyone?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

What I've found is less a deliberate L-R-L and more of a lrl if you know what I'm getting at. More of a reflex than an actual move.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

afatsuoM you are not the only person that suffers from BR failure,and there have been many long discussions about them,some people like them and a lot loathe them.....there's even a poll a few pages back.

Your less likely to fail pulling off a BR using the D-Pad,and that's the only reason why a lot of players use it.
    I asked Mad-Ice what his technique was and he replied that he just rubbed his thumb quickly side to side across the D-Pad.
    Seems to work,but there is a % of failure even doing that,I've also found that it's easier to BR using different,but supposedly identical controllers,why I don't know.
    You have the same problem with the sticks,except more so I find,your going to have a % of failure no matter what,how high that % is depends solely on changing your technique and practice,there's no magic/easy way of doing them,I've looked.

Unfortunately BR's are now ingrained into wipeout,they are a PITA ,and unless by some miracle SL decides to give us and option to remap the control method of doing them,then your be stuck in the same boat as the rest of us.

Hi, probably a repeat question...but for someone who has finished pure and a whole lot of pulse, is getting WO:HD worth it?

I played the demo and the graphics are gob-smacking, but it took like 30 minutes of non-stop play to get to first place...the AI is really tough with weapons (very reminiscent of wo2097, when it gets bad there, it gets bad), and the slidey craft mechanics work far, far better on the psp's huge shoulder buttons than on a dual shock 3. It's is basically a remake of pure, and sometimes I think it would be worth it just to see sebenco climb and sol2 in amazing HD...but then the worth of wipeout is clearing the campaign and multiplayer, and I've already spent quite some time finishing off pure.

Also of note, I'm in the camp that thinks WO3:SE was the pinnacle of the series, especially the predictable floaty handling. They're called airbrakes and seem to work as such rather than the 'wide turn' airbrakes in pure and pulse.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Forget the multiplayer experience you know from Pure and Pulse - this is a whole different league of bliss. Especially if you are comfortable with the 2 PSP games, that's even more reason to get HD imho.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Get it, you will not regret it. People say it's a remake, but it's really more than that.

PSN ID
    stin_wz

gbit, I can recommended this HD for you, it is simply awesome game and I just cannot argue with it, trust me.

Yes I do play Pure and Pulse but I still play both of them if you are asking.

Just get it and once you hopefully will get used to it and then play online, trust me, it`s nothing like AI!.

There is alot of speed freaks are out there who are not even a member here!

stevie

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Oh and by the way - you purchased a PS3 already, and the game is only 20 bucks, so what are you even pondering about?! it's a no-brainer really.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

ok if they so that HD is more than a remake ok, just a point that i don't dig quite well is : between pure and pulse put together makes at least 60 tracks , there are 60 tracks in two games?

ok HD only 8, ok you can do in reverse so 16, but...ummm

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

You pay more[nearly half the price again] just for the extra tracks in PULSE than you do for the whole of WOHD,and that's before the WOHD price drop.

They might be basically the same tracks as the PSP versions,but there are enough differences between the versions to warrant purchasing HD.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

i would have apreciated much to pay two times or even three times that price for a very complete game with double or more the stuff wo hd offers...because this way as today i should still play it without any concern for sure...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    FrenkyV

For the Arcade Perfect trophy. Do it need to be single races? or can it be tournament-races?

Because i just won CP on phatom elite in a tournament (racebox), and that doesn't happen often