Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: HD's AI

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

If you're playing in racebox mode, you can play without weapons, it counts for the trophy

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

stinkleroy: try to finish with a 2.09.00 time or less, if you can't then
    practice some more on time trial.

Also be as aggressive as you can, every weapon you shoot will slow down other
    ships, only recharage shields when the energy is at its lowest (or when the
    weapon is completely useless), otherwise, use the weapons!

And finally: barrel roll like crazy, at least 2 per lap (one on the first ramp
    and one on the last ramp).

PSN ID
    stinkleroy

Thanks guys, I'm doing my 2 BR's per lap, pitching down on the big curve...I can often get into first it's just rare that I can hold it for more than a lap....they just seem to find infinate new ways of blowing me up or ramming me off the track. I think I just need more patience to be honest......hehe

Timezone
    GMT -5

Girly Pilot (previous moniker retracted) - the last track on elite ai is always the worst. Whether it's due to you avoiding your weakest track until last, or maybe the PS3 snorted 12 grams of coke before - I dunno.

My last track was Metropia Reverse - and it took me 4 hours (nonstop) to beat it. I laughed, I cried, I went insane - and then finally I beat it. Then I cried some more.

So take a breather, grab some good coffee, and kick some more arse.

Maybe pretend all the AI ships are your little bumpy friend from earlier today.
    Last edited by IH8YOU; 1st February 2009 at 11:47 AM.

PSN ID
    stinkleroy

Hey you, I've warned you about calling me stinky!! I'm going to send someone over to steal all of your coffee for that remark!

Anyway back on topic...I'm normally good at Chengou, it just seems that I don't have the patience for the cheating a**hole AI haha

PSN ID
    Mister_Mateo

I was really disappointed of the AI-balance on elite. A few of them are ridiculously hard (e.g. Chenghou forward/reverse), while other tracks are too easy (e.g Anulpha, Moa Therma) and you can beat them at nearly every attempt. Who the **** tested if the AI on the courses is too hard, Zico? I had the feeling that some tracks just were so hard to artificially increase the time you need to get through the campaign. And this is what I even hate more than a cheating AI or a rubberband effect! This was the one and only time i thought about stop playing the game...
    Why didn't they just turn the AI speed on some courses 2-5% down and on other courses 2-5% up to get a nice balance and still a really hard but also quite fair game. Sure it depends on the individual racer which courses are harder or easier for him/her, but I think nearly everyone would say that the AI on Chenghou is defintively insanely harder than on Anulpha...

@stinkleroy: To beat the AI on Chenghou just race a couple of hours, the time will come when you get 4 or 5 turbos, autopilots and quakes in one race and then you'll beat the bastards on their own ground.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Ceiu

I think I've said this before, so if so... whatever.

Personally, I think anyone who's having trouble with the AI should just ignore it for a while and play online. This way you can get to know the tracks well, while racing people who are at/near your own skill level so you're not constantly taking hits to your morale. Plus, if you ever find yourself in a room against some of the top-tier players, you'll be wishing they were as slow as the elite AI.

Seriously. I remember struggling to beat the elite AI early on. After playing online against some of the best for a couple months, the elite AI is nothing. I can go against it on any track and win first time almost every time (90% of the time, I win 100% of the time... heh).

Besides, this game's replay value comes almost entirely from the multiplayer. Why bother playing single player if it just pisses you off? It doesn't add anything new to multiplayer mode anyway.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Well, you do get eight very tough competitors who will never leave...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TehRedScar

The AI is how it should be, if it wasn't hard then it wouldn't be worth calling elite. Yes its a bit cheap at times, but at least its not rubber band, if you get a lead and race clean you keep it. This is the only racing game that I can remember that has this in recent memory.

PSN ID
    Mister_Mateo

@Cerium: I agree with you and the AI is defintively ok. Too hard AI doesn't exist overall. Practice makes perfect.
    What I dislike is the balance!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Quote Originally Posted by RedScar View Post
    its not rubber band
    Not from what I recall. I pretty much play single race Elite exclusively, and I'm afraid to say that there is rubber banding. Sometimes at a checkpoint I have 5 seconds lead, and the next I have only 2, and the next I can see all the ships in rear view. They catch up, if you're too far.
    And I ain't messing up so much either, I know Sebenco Reverse like the back of my hand for example, yet I never get more than 2 seconds lead in the end, but in the middle of the race it might say I have 5 seconds lead at a checkpoint.

Colin Berry might disagree, he said there was no rubber band, but from my experience, there is. It's certainly not like in Pulse, where if I get a 5 seconds lead I keep it until the end of the race. I have never finished more then 2 seconds ahead of the Elite AI, after a clean race.

Also, sometimes say on Chengou I can win with 2:08 with a truly terrible race, and still be 1 sec ahead of the AI. Other times, I get to 2:04 and lose to an AI who did 2:02 (Which is world record level, in top 20 at least), and that was a pretty damn fine race.
    Either it's a very big coincidence, or one of the programmers didn't tell something to Colin.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdrium777 View Post
    Also, sometimes say on Chengou I can win with 2:08 with a truly terrible race, and still be 1 sec ahead of the AI. Other times, I get to 2:04 and lose to an AI who did 2:02 (Which is world record level, in top 20 at least), and that was a pretty damn fine race.
    So just like against real players? This looks like a nice AI to me!
    Btw, never won with more than 2 seconds ahead against the AI?
    I remember not so long ago I had almost 10 seconds!

And Cerium: 100% agreed, I almost always win against Elite AI,
    and that's with starting last on the grid each time!
    If anything, they should add an Elite+ difficulty.

PSN ID
    Mister_Mateo

Quote Originally Posted by Connavar View Post
    This looks like a nice AI to me!
    I'm pretty (but not 100%) sure that it's that way:
    If you race slow, the AI races a little slower and if you're fast, they're also faster. When I was really fast and made no mistakes, but just couldn't overtake the 3rd or 4th or so (because I was shot with missiles and rockets now and then) the first made near record times (because I was quite fast I assume). But when I had a bad race and rammed 5 times per lap the sides of the track and I got in maybe 6th or so, the first one had a miserable time.

EDIT: just turned the PS3 on and checked it: I choosed Piranha (to make sure that I will make a lousy race, I can't fly that thing) on Metropia forward (the track which is my worst, also to make sure I'll make a lousy race). I did the first lap and gave the AI +10 seconds when I passed the start/finish line for the first time. Then I raced normally, after one and a half laps I reduced it to +5.5 seconds to the AI. 2 Laps after I started catching them up (so I passed the start/finish line for the third time) it just were +4 seconds up to the AI and I started seeing the other guys. But from that moment on I couldn't catch up any more (the plan to race lousy with piranha on metropia was a full success) and it stayed +4 seconds up to the AI until the end. I raced constantly Laps 2-5.

If someone had other experiences, then correct me please.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Quote Originally Posted by Connavar View Post
    I remember not so long ago I had almost 10 seconds
    This can't have been done on Elite level. Novice, yes, not Elite.
    Or for some weird and ****ed up reason, the AI on my console is always at 2 seconds max behind me at the finish line, and not on yours.
    I would have to see it to believe it, because according to my experiences, this is simply impossible.
    Without exaggerating, my best split time was I think 4 seconds from the second ship on Elite Difficulty, I've never been over 5 seconds in splits. And I think that was only mid-race too...
    I'm not the best WipEout HD player for sure, but I hold my own against the Elite AI, it's very rare that I lose against them (Lose aka getting less than first place), it probably happens only once in every 20 or 30 races. I must have played hundreds of races against them, and I from what I remember, I simply never got further away than two tiny and insignificant seconds. No matter what my final time was, either an absolutely horrible time in the top 1000 or a world record level time in the top 10. The AI was always two seconds behind me at the end. Always.

So yeah, show me your ten seconds, I would like to see that. Ten seconds between your final time and the first AI ELITE ship to be precise.

Because even if I get like one turbo per lap, it's always going to end up with the two seconds split at the end.

PSN ID
    stinkleroy

@ Cerium...I think you misunderstand me. I'm not new to this game, in fact I was probably one of the ifrst to have it as I took the afternoon off work in anticipation...feverishly checking the psn store every minute (a little sad I know)...and since the day I got it all I want to do is play online (a 12 year dream for me) ...I of course finished the campaign for unlocks but since then have spent ALL of my time on this game online.

At heart I'm a rapier pilot as I just enjoy it more but am quite competent at phantom..not great through lack of practice but am not a novice....as I said I beat the Elite AI with relative ease (1 or 2 tries) for all other tracks but this one back in October...they just seem to have infinate weapons to blow me away with on this track and I think it's my lack of patience that stops me from getting anywhere with it.....I just wanted to complete the campaign for my own sanity..but in reality just don't find it as much fun as online. So the problem is me!

PSN ID
    fantaboy00

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdrium777 View Post
    This can't have been done on Elite level. Novice, yes, not Elite.
    Or for some weird and ****ed up reason, the AI on my console is always at 2 seconds max behind me at the finish line, and not on yours.
    I would have to see it to believe it, because according to my experiences, this is simply impossible.
    Without exaggerating, my best split time was I think 4 seconds from the second ship on Elite Difficulty, I've never been over 5 seconds in splits. And I think that was only mid-race too...
    I'm not the best WipEout HD player for sure, but I hold my own against the Elite AI, it's very rare that I lose against them (Lose aka getting less than first place), it probably happens only once in every 20 or 30 races. I must have played hundreds of races against them, and I from what I remember, I simply never got further away than two tiny and insignificant seconds. No matter what my final time was, either an absolutely horrible time in the top 1000 or a world record level time in the top 10. The AI was always two seconds behind me at the end. Always.

So yeah, show me your ten seconds, I would like to see that. Ten seconds between your final time and the first AI ELITE ship to be precise.

Because even if I get like one turbo per lap, it's always going to end up with the two seconds split at the end.
    Maybe I forgot to mention that I'm super aggressive against the AI, and usually
    kill 1-2 ships myself, often plasma the leader, I guess if you use another
    style, with less carnage, then yeah the gap will be shorter.
    Maybe it wasn't 10 seconds but it was definitely above 6, and probably above 8,
    I remember Ubermall Reverse for instance. I'll try to find a way to record a
    race on video then, to prove it.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

has anyone else found that the elite AI on reverse tracks are far inferior to the normal tracks?
    when i was going for arcade perfect i'd never raced any of the reverse tracks but i managed to win most of them within 5-6 tries.
    it may seem like a lot but considering i was learning the courses in the process i was surprised that i could do it that quickly.
    anyone else found this?

PSN ID
    silverfoxy

Yes Yeldar, exactly that. Whenver I raced online on the reverse tracks I would be all over the show (still am to be fair) but going for Arcade perfect it was quite easy. The only one that gave me any bother was reverse Chenghou. The last one to get was forward Chenghou. Although I'm reasonably competent online I struggle against the AI. BRs wherever possible doesn't seem to help either, but for some reason the only way I could do it was in a Hariamau. Think it was a pretty decent time (for me anyway), possibly top 50.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

As I said, no matter what I do here it's always two seconds split at the end. No matter how many kills, how many weapons fired, how many turbos, how many barrel rolls, no matter what I do, it's two seconds. On rare occasions it will be more than that, but a lot of times it's only two seconds (Or around that), and my final time can vary greatly even if I still win.

Only on tracks with shortcuts can I hope to get further away than those two seconds, but that's only if I get turbos to do the shortcuts (Ubermall Reverse is one of those tracks), and even then they somehow catch up in the end, maybe not until two seconds, but under five generally.

My point is that you can't consistently beat them with a ten seconds lead. I believe you can get a ten seconds lead, but that's just an extraordinary case, where you're lucky you get many turbos/etc. I can't possibly imagine beating the Elite AI with a ten seconds lead every time. This can't happen on my game. Some programming difference maybe, or my system is acting up, don't know, but it just never happened frequently enough so that I remember it. Maybe using Goteki with lower speed makes a difference, but then how come am I able to pass them with relative ease, but then I just can't lose them, if I'm always going relatively at the same speed? Once I pass them they seem "stuck" behind me at two seconds, no matter what speed I'm going at.

It's weird to explain, I guess one way of knowing what I mean would be to watch my videos... Sol2 for example, is a pretty damn good ride (4th globally at the time, don't know about now), and look at the final split. 2.2 seconds. And I've had much worse races before, I still won, with a 2 seconds lead. What can I tell ya, for me it's just not possible. :/ I would love to believe you entirely at 100% and etc, but from my experiences the Elite AI are cheating, cheap and rubber-banding bastards.