Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: HD's AI

Timezone
    GMT -5

Autopilot makes the ship go faster in almost any scenario - especially straightaways. Get a good stretch, and activate an autopilot - watch your speed jump up.

I use them as "ghetto turbos" between pads.

Some corners I realize it takes slower than a perfect-line done manually - but with the speed boost - I'd venture to guess it can take Chengou hairpin faster.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Laeke

Yeah I think there is no question, even though sometimes the racing lines on the AP are very weird... and that it will sometimes disengage in strange positions.

There are some cases where I am not sure it will actually outrun an human pilot. In the first straight of Anulpha, is taking the three speed pads (in an oblique line) more beneficial than AP? Maybe... But that is a very specific case: maybe the AP speed boost makes up for any speed pads he misses (quite a few actually?).
    I think you are right about the hairpin: no way to make it there faster than the AP... However, I'd rather be slower in the turn (I often let go of the thrust there) with a boost ready for the first jump.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Wait a minute... AP makes you go faster on a straightaway?! What's the logic behind that?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

logic is to make it useful, if it didn't go faster, then it would be a completely useless item
    once you know how to take corners correctly.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I know how to take corners correctly, but still I find the AP useful on some tracks, because it's simply undistractable. It's great for fighting your way through a tight pack at the beginning of a race. Or if I know there's a tricky section coming up, I sometimes keep the AP, just in case something leads to me approaching the tricky corner in a wrong way - I can still activate AP to correct my messing up. Making AP faster on straights would be overpowering it.

Timezone
    GMT -5

It does, find a straight stretch and max out your speed (without speed pads or anything) Pay attention to how fast you're going.

Grab an autopilot, and on the next lap, use it in the same spot.

Try doing this on Venom or Flash, as on slower classes its even more obvious. (and gives you more time to gawk at your speed display)

Or maybe it's just a hidden turbo that only works for us cool cats who use the 2097 HUD.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Laeke

It's actually "logical" that the AP makes you go a tad faster, otherwise it would have way too little use. As I said, I'm pretty sure the lines you get in AP miss several speed pads (Like in Anulpha Pass). The boost you get is also minimal, so all things considered, the ship go faster but it doesn't mean you'll get there any sooner. Oh and I wonder if at some point (like November 0, the AP would not take you on the Anulpha shortcut... I was pretty sure of that, but then I tried recently and it did take the shortcut so... maybe I am messing up my memories with a previous WO?
    Last edited by Laeke; 8th January 2009 at 04:41 PM.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

yeah i think the autopilot has several lines depending on the situation, or just how much it wants to annoy you.
    it takes me on the anulpha overpass about 50% of the time so the other 50 i just start swearing like a mad dement. i try not to use it near there just in case but i'd like to know if anyone knows why it does that?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

That section is fairly easy to be honest - get on the overpass first, THEN use the autopilot - the autopilot will keep you on and you'll go faster than normal to boot. Score

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    Wait a minute... AP makes you go faster on a straightaway?! What's the logic behind that?
    Well, the way AP has typically been implemented is that it hands control of your ship over to the computer. As in, the exact same way all the AI are controlled. In most of the games, the AI was pretty slow, so AP was pretty slow. In HD, the Elite AI are kind of fast, so the AP should be just as fast. No big surprise.

I would venture a guess that if you knock the AI down to "easy", the AP will be slow again. And AP will only be "fast" if you're using Elite AI.

Just a theory.

Somebody test it out and let us know maybe? 8 )

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

No testing done, but I'm inclined to think that you are right Task.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

Quote Originally Posted by Task View Post
    Well, the way AP has typically been implemented is that it hands control of your ship over to the computer
    Agreed.

As in, the exact same way all the AI are controlled. In most of the games, the AI was pretty slow, so AP was pretty slow. In HD, the Elite AI are kind of fast, so the AP should be just as fast. No big surprise.
    I disagree here:

1) The AP makes you go faster than the Elite AI does when it doesn't use
    the AP itself.

Whenever I use it (or anyone), my ship will go noticeably faster than the
    Elite AI and should normally overtake other ships, if not then will get me
    much closer to them.

Another way to prove it is to compare the Elite AI vs AP on chenghou long left
    curve, Elite AI will never get stuck, while you would, so it's obviously not
    the same, in fact it's because the AP is using the same racing line as the AI
    but with more speed, which causes some effects such as going higher with the
    bumps (and getting stuck) or using more weird airbraking (first curve on
    chenghou), just because it'll follow the line perfectly.

I would venture a guess that if you knock the AI down to "easy", the AP will be slow again. And AP will only be "fast" if you're using Elite AI.

Just a theory.

Somebody test it out and let us know maybe? 8 )
    2) Speed doesn't vary with the AI difficulty.
    The effects you notice on chenghou are the same on any difficulty and even
    online, they would be much reduced at a lower speed, and they're not so...
    same speed.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

I swear to god, these evil lost bitches elite AIs have the ability to learn from your flying techniques. They are really Artificial Intelligence that learn from your mistakes, only way to take them down, is to take them down hard and quick. Before they have a moment to catchup again.

good shout kigo. they also pull bombs out of their arses like magicians pull rabbits out of hats. arcade perfect ain't pretty or painless, except when you do it. ahh...bliss

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

haha, lol. Very true. Wipeout is made in the land of Wizards and witches, im sure hogwarts isnt far from SL HQ. Those Elite racers are controlled by wizards and witches by teleconnected magic or something. Mines, missile, bomb. BOOM! FM! Where did that come from. lol.

maybe they're broomsticks with bodykits? but maybe i just took it too far... i think you may be right. especially when you hear bomb, missile, rockets, and end up stationary for about a year. i tend to get that online with you and the other pacy people but it always seems far less sinister. the AI are out to get me i swear.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

There's no doubts that they cheat. Triakis accelerates faster than my Goteki for ****'s sake :x
    I've had the occasional 'surprise weapon out of nowhere' deal too. Incidentally, it's always the best weapon for the occasion. Coming up from behind, it is mines or bomb, passing them in front, rockets, turboing past, it's a missile. ARGH! When it's a quake that's just so annoying because then every single ship will pass next to you, and you start from scratch.
    Autopilot saves the day, but not always.

So remember kids, when playing Elite, if you're getting pwnt, just restart the race. Controllers cost 60$ FYI

---
    I lol'd at the 'stationary for about a year' comment

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdrium777 View Post
    So remember kids, when playing Elite, if you're getting pwnt, just restart the race. Controllers cost 60$ FYI

---
    I lol'd at the 'stationary for about a year' comment
    I wish i took that into account before i attempted the elite trophy. My controller sure did fly higher than that jump on Sebenco Climb with an early boost. Smash! Angry German kid Style, lol.

Stationary for a year, sounds spot on

always perfect for the occasion i agree. and they also seem nigh on impervious to fire, the cheeky devils . the rubber-banding is also insane; run an almost perfect race and you still end up behind some record-breaking AI ship running on amphetamines
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkdrium777 View Post
    Controllers cost 60$ FYI
    that's precisely why i used a bog-standard sixaxis as opposed to my precious DS3 when going for campaign elite and arcade legend: two controllers down the line; victory!

PSN ID
    stinkleroy

Does anyone (please god!) have any tips on how to beat the elite AI on Chengou phantom...I have had this one race to do since October, to get my elite trpohy. I did the others with (relative) ease but this track just infuriated me, so much so that I've attempted it only a handful of times since.

It just seems like the AI has no intention of letting me win no matter what I do...they always have a weapon prepared for when I get past them and the one time I did get into first I was beaten to the finish line by a sneaky ship with a turbo boost.....help!