Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: HD's AI

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

I had to go back to that campaign mode cos' my save crashed. I said to myself : you're hardcore, do it in elite mode! And I did it... in 4 hours. Of course I'm not a killer dude, that's not my point. My point is, after 3 months, I found this poor elite AI retarded, even on chenghou or Sebenco. Really, that was a good surprise, because I still remember the difficulties I experienced 3 months ago...

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Tomeru

Same here, what I did in 10-20 tries 2 months ago, I now do in less than 5, and on tracks that don't have climb and probect in their name, I do on the first try (most of the time).

What was elite at first has become avarage.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    trentdf

i have a feeling they dialled down the elite AI when they introduced that "everything has a difficulty" patch- 1.2?
    before the patch, i was really struggling in elite races, especially on chengou and sebenco, but after the patch i did the races in a couple of tries, and im pretty sure i won chengou even though i fell off in the first lap.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Laeke

As Task said: the AI cheats, but that was probably the only way to make it really competitive while adapting it to the player's skill.

Sure the rubberbanding is kind of annoying, but if the Elite AI consisted of ships making "fixed" times, it would be very frustrating and hard at first (this would basically require to do a good TT... and this would be too similar to the actual TT, with more handicaps.), then once you got past the skill level required, you would almost constantly win. For instance, I do not think the AI ever do BR, while the player will at some point start to master it (if you are going for Elite races, you are also likely to do Elite TT and SL which I believe requires you to throw in a couple one). Doing a BR in a race is more risky but if it would give you a substantial lead out of most weapon's reach...

Sure, maybe the AI could have been better. However, while I am no expert, it is possible that programming an AI for a racer might have its own difficulties. In other types of games, the AI can try to flank you. In WO, apart from being faster (or slowing you down more efficiently), well...

The Autopilot does have strange racing lines... and it is not immune from sending your ship off track

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

too bloody right about AP sending you flying somewhere you shouldn't be.
    NEVER use it on the weird bouncy cambered left hander (3rd corner?). i swear it's slower cos it doesn't pitch so you bounce like a (bouncy) ball, and it very often gets stuck on the tunnel entrance.

has anyone else found that the elite AI in the reverse races is significatly easier to beat? i had far less trouble with arcade perfect than i anticipated, not that i'm complaining.

also, distinctly mediocre pilot that i am, i wonder if it's possible to match AP's lines and speeds through some of the sections where it blitzes corners like it's on speed?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

Quote Originally Posted by yeldar2097 View Post
    also, distinctly mediocre pilot that i am, i wonder if it's possible to match AP's lines and speeds through some of the sections where it blitzes corners like it's on speed?
    Mate, you're probably not mediocre at all, and believe me: there's guys here able to do far better than these weird doped AI racing lines!

Damn I spent my day here, & I'm at work...
    Last edited by kanar; 5th January 2009 at 01:53 PM.

PSN ID
    bik3rluke

How do they manage to corner so fast? Say for example, the first u-turn on Sebenco Climb. They take it sooo fast and I always get passed there. I've even seem them boost as they enter the corner and still make it round perfectly! Really annoys me.

PSN ID
    bik3rluke

too bloody right about AP sending you flying somewhere you shouldn't be.
    NEVER use it on the weird bouncy cambered left hander (3rd corner?). i swear it's slower cos it doesn't pitch so you bounce like a (bouncy) ball, and it very often gets stuck on the tunnel entrance.
    Haha, Auto Pilot once flew me into the top of the bridge on that corner exit!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

I agree with kanar, I used to find Elite AI very tough, but I tried 20 races
    2 days ago, and won 17 of them, which would never happen online for example,
    so it's pretty easy in fact, compared to a month ago.

I'm sure it's because I kept hitting walls in the past, if you don't then the
    AI is just good, but is not doing any BR and is giving you A LOT of weapons
    for free... which an online player wouldn't.

i've found the AI are really good at some corners and pretty dire at others. take sebenco for example: 1st hairpin, they take me every time (unless i have AP), 3rd hairpin, they are utterly useless, it's like they're blind. ok maybe not quite that bad but you get my point. i suppose they can't be perfect but the 1st and 3rd corners are polar opposites. can't they even it out a little,
    Also, does AP make you go faster. i think it does but i don't know the normal speeds on straight sections?
    And can people really do the chenghou hairpin like AP? that just ain't fair.
    Last edited by yeldar2097; 5th January 2009 at 08:11 PM. Reason: aesthetics

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

...And can people really do the chenghou hairpin like AP? that just ain't fair.
    well, some pilots here are able to do much better, because... practice/patience -& good settings- are everything. This is why this game is SO awesome. I have the feeling I discussed that the whole day with you guys into different threads lol, what's the meaning of wipeout. Hard to put words on that but again, what a feeling to ride -decently- at phantom speed. Never felt that before with a videogame. This is not a videogame. I'm really intoxicated. My last post tonight LOL. Yeldar check the video thread!

having a good race is unbeatable i agree. intoxicated by the game or bourré? or both, that's good too! i will, although i have a sneaking suspicion that i'll end up depressed after watching the masters do things properly

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

LOL not bourré, just emphasized too much; like often

well it's easily done, especially with wipeout. it's far too good, i love it!
    wipeout+bourré would make me very very dizzy. maybe i'll try it

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Tomeru

Wipeout HD and a good bottle of whiskey makes the game unique in a, ummm, different way. Colors are more vivid

PSN ID
    chboing

i tried some race the other days, knowing perfectly i wont be able of nothing good cause of all the beer and wine and rhum i had drink. But friends pushed me.
    It ended up with some 1st place and my new personnal record on 2 circuits.

i will try it again tomorrow and maybe tell you about it again

dunno what happened, i was clearly drunk and wouldnt have taken my car ! (not totally wasted though...)

back on topic : i'm not sure that someone can take the harpin of chenghou faster/better than autopilot ...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

There is a way to do it very fast by being really close to the outside wall, turning, passing really close to the inner wall and continuing to turn (You wouldn't hit the outside wall this way) without letting go of the thrust, however it still isn't as fast as the AP (At least on Chengou Reverse, don't remember Chengou forward as I almost never use AP on it).

yeah that's usually the way i try to go about it, but i often get mashed into the wall unless i'm way in front or way behind.

PSN ID
    pirhapac

back on topic : i'm not sure that someone can take the harpin of chenghou faster/better than autopilot

hmm i dont think auto pilot do a barell roll in the turn before hairpin....so ..

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Apparently Motorstorm has even worse rubber-banding AI than WipEout HD, so SL might have shared that already with ES, or the reverse.