Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: HD's AI

Sounds like a more extreme version of the Arcade mode on the original Gran Turismo.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    MrOrbital

I did experience this to. Sometimes last, sometimes battling for the medals... I doubt it is determined before the race. I actually think it is all about the pickups. If you get a turbo in the beginning and firing it off over the two small jumps you can get up to 3rd on the first lap, but if the AI:s in front don´t pound each other hard with weapons they disappear in the horizon. So it is actually a matter of being a little lucky with the pickups.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

Quote Originally Posted by Syntek View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    Autopilots really become valuable then, when you activate them you are somehow a lot faster than racing the same line yourself. Something's not perfectly straight here...
    Agreed. I've seen this on many occasions. I'm thinking maybe its my pitch? but it turns out it wasn't. it still did the same thing for some weird reason.
    Yeah, that's usually a hallmark of overusing a cheap-n-easy AI design.
    What I mean is, to make a bad AI opponent tougher, you can either make the AI "smarter" (really tough to do!) or you can just make it go faster. So you make them always travel at 110% speed, and you can only do 100%, so they're normally faster than you. Then you take the Autopilot, and while it's activated your ship follows the same rules as the AI ships, which means suddenly you can do 110% speed. Which is why you're faster with an Autopilot and why the AI ships are so annoying to you with their speed-without-effort.

That's my guess at it anyway. 8 )

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Also if you get hit with one weapon, consider it as game-over unless you can drive well and not hit walls, at all (Or just a little). This will prevent some frustration, as otherwise you will be anxious until the finish where you will be everywhere but first place.
    Luck with pickups yes, but not only. You also have to drive very well, and IMHO driving well is still the most important part. If you scrape too many walls, you will lose, no matter how many quakes, rockets, missiles or plasmas you will get.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Sure, Dark, i always considered that, in wipeout, the weapons use was to clean the road

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

@Task: that's what I meant, yes. Might not be 110% speed, but they sure defy the game's physics in some turns.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

8 ) That's another good sign of a fast-n-cheap AI.
    If they don't follow the same rules the player does, they're obviously playing by a different set.

Not a big surprise, really. It's quite difficult to create a good AI opponent and this was supposed to be a quick release, there was likely never time to craft a good AI opponent.

Hardly necessary, what with the solid online capabilities they built into it!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Just want to state loud and clear that the AI is a real charm to race at 'skilled' difficulty, they almost feel like human players there, so it's not all bad

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Syntek

Well I just got my Arcade Perfect Trophy. I hope I don't have to race elite AI on sebenco or Chenghou on phantom again. my god, that was extremely frustrating.
    Last edited by Task; 3rd October 2008 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Removed quotation of previous post

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Schumi_77

Does the "Elite" difficulty you're talking about is a secret 4th difficulty level ? or is it the 3rd one (It seems to me that there were only 3 difficulty level, in french version : "Facile" (easy?), Normal (normal?), Difficile (hard?/elite?)

At 3rd difficulty level, I was really frustrated on sebenco climb (3rd grid) because I was left behind even with some boost (when I was lucky enough to get them).
    Then I decided to left it and the same happened on moa therma.

When I checked the control options, I've seen that the parameter "Sensibilité accélération" (Acceleration sensibility ?), just below airbrake sensibility, was set to 70% which isn't the default value.
    I reset it to default (20-30% i don't remember), and suddently victory on the 2 races (sebenco climb and moa therma) wasn't only a dream anymore.

Do someone understand this option and its effect ?

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

The higher the number the harder you need to push the button.

The Elite AI is a bastard yes but come on people, it's a challenge and no ones forcing you to compete against them just drop it down a notch. It's annoying sometimes but it's even more satisfying when you beat them.

Once you thoroughly learn a track and know where to pitch the luck factor is reduced severely. The Elite can kiss my ass, I've got the trophy to prove it

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

I like those Elite AI ships with their nasty suicidal techniques : keeping the right weapon till you pass them or just flying perfectly over the last ChenGhou chicane.
    My point of view it's a great challenge to acheive and i am enjoying it so much.( on a sidenote i don't have internet access for online gaming atm where i am studying at least tomorrow i ll return to Le Havre ready for HD online and see if my arse will be kicked in an 'elite' way

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Wip3ou7pure

Oh yeah, the AI is definately bullshit sometimes. Just a second ago I was racing on Phantom/Elite on Chengou Project and during the big fall in mid air about half way down the drop I get hit by ROCKETS!! WHAT THE F'?? THAT IS COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE! MID-FALL I GET HIT BY ROCKETS?!?!

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

It is possible if there was another ship behind you also in fall with rockets, I know cos I've shot people and been shot by rockets when falling during Pure.

I like elite. It seems less weapon-heavy than hard AI in Pulse. It cheats a bit, but it`s good training.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Syntek

Quote Originally Posted by lunar View Post
    I like elite. It seems less weapon-heavy than hard AI in Pulse. It cheats a bit, but it`s good training.
    i hope thats a joke. whenever you're near last place, its a mine field. that or whenever you're first, its a cannon fest or missles.

PSN ID
    Xtriko, PS3, PSP & Vita

I'm losing my mind here! I almost broke my DS3 with my explosion of rage at sebenco climb phantom elite! can anyone do 2:04:71 on it? somehow, the AI did. my best was 2:07 (don't remember) lol.
    I can't beat the elite on Sebenco, Chengou and Ubermall...
    goin' to drink some whisky cola to relex

Timezone
    GMT + 12

Perseverance my fellow pilots!

it may be hard but its not impossible. Although there is a huge luck element.

I think this is what a REAL AG-race would be like - Surely the pilots would use every weapon to their advantage? Perhaps the AI does cheat a bit but the sense of achievement after finally beating them is wondrous

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Wip3ou7pure

phantom/elite chenghou is very hard... sebenco is f'ing impossible... ubermall i did without much trouble.

I don't think I'm going to bother playing on Elite difficulty. I've been playing Wipeout for years, so probably could, but I dont want to. It doesnt sound fun, just ridiculous. AI that cheats makes me want to avoid it out of principle, and if i'm going to get enraged instead of enjoyment, doesn't that defeat the point?

Nah, i'll stick to Skilled. They give an aggressive, realistic, firm but fair(er) race.