Thread: Zone mode and sharp turns?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Miths000

Default Zone mode and sharp turns?

Just a very brief intro for my first post on this forum - I have nostalgic memories of the '95 original and fairly recently bought a PSP pretty much just to play WipEout Pure and Pulse, as HD was obviously still "on hold" back then.
    Now that WipEout HD is finally here - and I've been hooked for well over five hours today so far - I would very much like to increase my extremely modest skills.

Practice, practice and even more practice is of course the main road towards that - and I'm certainly going to need it, as in grid three and four I'm already getting my behind kicked by the AI on novice on some tracks (most notably Chenghou Project and Sebenco Climb) - but I have a practical question as well.

I've just done the grid 4 zone race on Chenghou Project, and even on the very first lap I simply can't make the sharp left turn before the first jump without banging into the wall, no matter how hard or how early I hit that airbrake.
    In non-zone modes this is obviously where I would briefly let go of the throttle, but surely all you WipEout veterans out there don't have corners on any tracks in any modes where you're actually forced to hit the wall?
    Is there a technique for taking these very sharp turns without getting off the throttle (which obviously isn't an option in zone mode), or is millisecond timing the only option?

PSN ID
    Yasir_Said

Not sure if you've forgot about mentioning it...but i use side shifting. Double tap one of the airbrakes (which one depends on which direction you want to shift into).

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Miths000

I really suck with side shifting. I very rarely use it (or used in Pulse) as way too often I fail to predict exactly where I'm going to end up and what I'm going to do next, so I end up slamming into something.

But I guess side shifting is indeed one of those expert tricks I might just have to try to learn - although in the specific corner I described I'm really having a bit of a hard time picturing how there would be room for a manuever that includes side shifting.

PSN ID
    Yasir_Said

If you are struggling to imagine it, play on racebox - venom speed - single race, try and get an item for auto pilot and save it for that corner, watch and learn i guess? it is a start id imagine?

I wouldn't bother to be honest, I'd just keep attempting it over and over (try speed lap mode)!

Good luck!

PSN ID
    skythian

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. I can't figure out how to take that turn on zone, or even with some of the heavier vehicles on higher speeds. I just take the damage....

It might be possible, but you'd have to have an incredibly good line and nail the left airbrake. I don't see how a sideshift would help here.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rubix42

Try side-shifting as you are about to hit the wall to complete the turn, needs to be taken on a very tight line.