Thread: Has anyone seen....

Default Has anyone seen....

For all of you who have watched the movie hackers, has anyone seen
    Wipeout in an Aracade not to mention with Dual Anolog or that version of the game? :

I think there was some talk a while back about someone spotting a Wipeout 2097 (Europe version) arcade cabinet somewhere, but I don't think anyone in the US has ever seen one.

And I think the Wipeout they had in Hackers was a beta version, so I doubt you'll ever see it.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    xEik

Talking of movies... If you want to see real PSX WipEout in a movie you can watch 'Virtual Sexuality'. Not that the film is worth much (a bit stupid teens story) but as a curiosity, 10 or 15 minutes before the end, you'll be able to see the 'total loser' character playing (very badly) wipEout2097; banging in the rossonero tunnel at Gare d'Europa.

Disclaimer: xEik won't return any money to those who rented the films because of the things stated above and think it was not worth paying for it. :

PRACTICE LEADS TO PERFECTION !

i think ''5150'' found an arcade machine in um... New York. i don't recall which version it was

Quote Originally Posted by Lance
    i think ''5150'' found an arcade machine in um... New York. i don't recall which version it was
    in new york. woxl pc hi-res. at a place called the Bar Code. as if new york isnt cool enough, id go up there for the machine all by itself.
    i wish they would have done the same sort of thing for 3. id drive up to north dakota for a hi-res wo3 cabinet.

i wonder how hi-res it was; the xl pc version i have only goes to 1024 x 768.

btw, good to see you here again, Joel

thanks, Lance. ill try to post a little more often in the near future.

I've played an arcade sit down version of wipeout xl/2097 that moved around (which was HORRID), only problem the creaters had was making no control for air brakes So basically it was a cheap ripoff to grab people's attention, but to summerize this, it was bad.

i think the wipeout shown in hackers is just a pre-rendered movie.

It was a rendered movie, I know that because myself, Neil Thompson and Jim Bowers did it.

The sad thing is I havent got of my ar$e to actually go out and rent Hackers so I still havent seem it in the film

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Aww... man - Angelina Jolie at a tender age... how can you miss it!?

at the risk of sounding crass, i would say that there is probably nothing tender about her now.

show business is a harsh business.

I'm guessing her nostrils are still pretty tender. *sniff!*

I don't think showbusiness was the only thing harsh to her. :wink:

BTW, I've come across the movie a few times but haven't managed to see the Wipeout footage yet, because the actual movie is.... difficult to sit through.

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

Default nice

Any chance of finding a copy of just the 3d animation without any of the hackers stuff in it? I think the footage there is very unique, if you pause it at the very beginning you can see the Psygnosis logo and a bunch of grandstands, as well as the platform things!

Vagrant Logic OUT

A.R., it seems that you have become notably more demented in the months that ive been gone...

Quote Originally Posted by spooky
    It was a rendered movie, I know that because myself, Neil Thompson and Jim Bowers did it.
    Cool! The way I found out about Wipeout was by watching that movie, thinking the game looked fun, finding its name in the credits, and then buying Wipeout 3 to play on my PS2. It seems Wipeout is expected to sell itself in the US, so I wouldn't have found out about Winpeout otherwise. Now it's one of my favorite games.

Why isn't the game more popular in the US? Is it because I keep liking the less popular games, so I doomed this series? Is it because the music isn't much liked in the US? (I like the music, but a GT3ish soundtrack is probably more popular, but not fast enough to keep up with Wipeout)

As for the movie, I like it. I know people who think it is funny because of the old technology depected doing impossible graphics. I think of it as an attempt to depect what is going on in a visual sense (it *is* a movie) in a way non-computer geeks can grasp. Seems mostly successful from that angle. But at least they took a few screens of text from some UNIX machine(s).

Nostrils . . . lol

'' Is it because I keep liking the less popular games, so I doomed this series?''

yeah, what is up with that. i like the Opera browser, i like wipEout. i started buying Jolt Cola and it disappeared from my town even though it's still available elsewhere. these are just three examples of hundreds in my life. is there some giant Universal conspiracy to keep me always in a minority? or maybe i'm just paranoid.
    should i have winked about being paranoid?

Viso, welcome to the madhouse.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    xEik

The majority is mediocre

The minority is Elite

PRACTICE LEADS TO PERFECTION !

well, yeah, but people clinically diagnosed as being radically sub-average in intelligence or physical ability are also in the minority, so sometimes i get confused

Yeah. And sometimes I feel I belong to both minorities at once! LoL .

V.