Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We need a NeGGie

But you pronounce 'neji' the same way you pronounce 'neggie' right? so everything's alright i guess :]

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    BulletWraith

Talking

Firstly their are alternatives, their always have been
    (and allot of them are Dualshock2 compatable so will work on the PS3 and give feedback)

to me the Zero Tech 3 (for PS3) from Hori looks like a reasonable option, dunno about pitch though the face buttons look pretty dodgy/not spaced far enough apart

by the by I really would like a new neGcon, but I'm not really fussed as I'm without a PS3 (poor design student here) and trying to get 2097 running in wine on my eee is keeping me distracted enough

zershen out
    Last edited by BulletWraith; 8th October 2008 at 11:39 PM. Reason: gramatical errors

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

Regarding the "neji":

I read that "neji" is translated "screw", so in essence "We need a screw controller".

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    xEik

Quote Originally Posted by Perforu View Post
    But you pronounce 'neji' the same way you pronounce 'neggie' right?
    I would pronounce the g in neggie as the g in give while the j in neji as the j in Jim.
    English isn't my first language so maybe people already pronounce it that way. I think I remember Asa calling it "la neg" ("le Big Mac" style )

Back on topic, I doubt the neGcon will be revived. The closest thing we'll probably see is Namco releasing a new kind of weird (but different) controller for a new RidgeRacer that might be equally good for racing games.

Then I hope we soon see that day and that weirdbutgreat new controller.

Hmm, maybe we should change the title of this topic to "We need a weirdbutgreat controller" then.

The alternatives should be better than the original, otherwise its a waste of time guys, ask Al, he must have tried a lot of stuff, i even remember him looking for a motorcycle handle controller to try out, dont know how that went though.

The zerotech 3 looks very similar to another controller with RC style i have seen before, dont remember the brand or model..

i too hope theres a better controller for wipeout than the negcon, but it seems unless a new wipeout game catches a lot more fame, or namco revives it, we will be in the same dry spell we have been for a decade.

The only thing stopping me from buying a PS3 is lack of neGcon compatibility, oh yeah and my empty pockets. Stock up on old neggies and get a couple of spare ps1s thats my advice..progress isnt always for the better is it?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Quote Originally Posted by djb View Post
    progress isnt always for the better is it?
    That's certainly an arguable point, but I suggest you try out WipEout HD for yourself before saying it's not worth it

PSN ID
    Axellink

Trust me mate. The game is addictive because of the multiplayer. That alone makes HD great. But more DLC and bug fixes will make this game truly awesome for me. Oh and give us the options to disable BR and PA

Most of our recent 'progress' has seemed to be in the direction of accomplishing goals with increased complexity, power usage, and expense instead of with efficiency and intelligence in clever design.

My offtopic rants ends here

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    omf

Just thought I'd chime in with my feelings about the neGcon. When I first purchased one back with Wipeout XL on the PS1, the controller made the game 10x more fun for me. Not only was it easier to control, but it felt more like I was really steering the ship - I loved it!

As far as I know, the neGcon was not supported on other versions of Wipeout, was it? I think I tried it once on the PS2 and didn't have any luck with it.

I'd LOVE a version for the PS3, but I don't think there's any hope of this since they didn't even make it for the PS2.

I bought a couple of extra neGcons years ago when I saw them on sale at a store. They're still sitting in their original boxes.

It'd be nice if SL at least added some kind of neGcon compatibility feature in Wipeout HD. Only us oldschool fans would use it, but it'd be a very nice gift!

the negcon worked for wipeout 1, xl, 3, and wipeout fusion. It didn't work for the n64 of course, but the asciiwheel works great for that one.

PSN ID
    PHO-KU

As I didn't get much help on the BenHeck forum I have also mailed another "techy" console repair firm yesterday to see whether they may have the electronics knowledge to assist in building a PS3 compatible Negcon.

....i'm not holding my breath though lol.

I will post outcome.

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    omf

Quote Originally Posted by lovedr View Post
    ....i'm not holding my breath though lol.
    Yeah, I wouldn't... converting the old proprietary controller interface to USB would be a pretty complex task.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

What you really want to do is [a simplified explanation], turn the left analog stick on it's side,have the stick placed in what would be the left side of a Negcon and the sticks motion tracking section in what would be right side of a Negcon.
    Have the base plate that both holds those two parts together but also keeps them separate, used as the pivot point for the new styled Negconstein controller.

You would really want to get in contact with one of the YouTube posters of other extremely modded game controllers that you see.

http://news.acidmods.com/

Ah, the Negconstein. Yes. Where is Baron Victor when we need him?

BTW, let's keep a lookout for any possible torch-carrying villagers.

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    omf

I hadn't considered modifying an existing controller. That would certainly make the electronics aspect of it much easier!

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I though "Negconstein" would been the most appropriate description of the possible aesthetics of such a controller were it's build ever attempted.

I can see the major problem of constructing a controller like this would be dimensions of the stick base/motion tracking section,it's nearly as wide as the thickness of a sixaxis controller,then you have the matter of the mini USB recharge port to reposition.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I wonder if a controller like this wil ever become available for use with a Playstation.
    If you could program actions like BR's as well as everything else,wow, lap times might be amazingly fast.
    Only problem is looking like a dork wearing it.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/product...pulse_actuator