Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Day and Night cycles???

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Yes indeed the first WipEout had day for Venom and evening/night for Rapier, but guess what: that means there were two sets of textures for each track. It most certainly doesn't calculate the lighting for day or for night all the time (That would be horrible for the loading :O)
    If anything like this is implemented in WipEout HD or future ones, it would be the same thing: darker textures for the night, some reworked prebuilt lighting and that's it (Well it's a lot of work, but after that work that's it ). But this doubles the size for each track as I said, because you have two textures slightly similar but one is darker than the other.
    I guess it has not been brought back because of the amount of extra work needed to pull it off.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

AFAIK, nowadays you don't need a new set of textures for different lighting, it's now all done by the...well...lighting
    (except for stuff that glows in the dark, like neon signs)

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Hmm I wouldn't be so sure. I may be wrong, but even though lighting is more evolved today than it was then, I think some texture reworking is necessary so it blends correctly in the environment. Not as much as before, but still quite a bit, and with the new high resolution shader effects and bump mapping and etc, it's a lot of work, even if there are only ten textures to rework per level.

I'd say the main argument against it is - the average punter (Wipeout newbie) is paying again for a track they've already got. The lighting makeover would have pretty limited appeal.

That said, it could work as a bonus addition to a more meaty DLC pack.

( Opinions my own, not that of SCEE, of course )