Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Now I understand why WOHD got a 7.5 from GameSpot.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_from_OTW View Post
    1. The review was written by the gamespot UK, not the guys that did 'on the spot'.
    2. From what I've read about the game, the review seems fair. It's the same score that they gave gt5rologue, and that's a good game.
    3. Having NOT played the game, can anyone actually find fault with the review itself? It's easy enough to complain about the score.
    My complaint with the review isn't the text per se-- which seems pretty reasonable in both its positive and negative points-- but with the score. Generally "7.5" scores are applied to games with glaring flaws in gameplay and graphics, ridiculous price points and/or an absurdly small (or bloated) amount of content. From what I can tell, Wipeout HD has none of these problems-- nor does GT5P.

Obviously, Gamespot has significant credibility problems in the wake of Gerstamann-gate and its new oversight by CNET management. Setting that aside for the moment, I think there is a certain pleasure that gaming journalists and editors take in making "bold" scores, either high or low, because it makes a statement to the industry and increases website hits as consumers track down exceptional reviews. Other examples include the "10" score applied to GTA4 (by IGN) as well as the "7.9" applied to Mario Kart Double Dash (also by IGN).

I do appreciate the reviews are subjective and that reviewers can (and should) have latitude to express their opinions. At the same time, IMHO, gaming journalists have a responsibility to the industry and to consumers to provide a balanced and thoughtful evaluation that is consistent with the criteria applied to other software, on other platforms, and by other critics. Providing exceptional reviews may in some cases be an act of bravery-- telling it "like it is"-- but more often I suspect it is vanity and greed.

PSN ID
    CurlyPutz

Well put buddy, well put!

Also, Gamespot have the average score from other sites as 8.5/10 with two reviews. Both of these reviews are shown as 9/10 so surly the average should be 9/10 not 8.5/10.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

( 7.5 + 9 + 9 ) / ( 10 + 10 + 10 ) = 0.85 = 8.5/10

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    Sugar_from_OTW

Quote Originally Posted by Frances_Penfold View Post
    I do appreciate the reviews are subjective and that reviewers can (and should) have latitude to express their opinions. At the same time, IMHO, gaming journalists have a responsibility to the industry and to consumers to provide a balanced and thoughtful evaluation that is consistent with the criteria applied to other software, on other platforms, and by other critics.
    and the text for the gamespot review is all of those things. People put too much emphasis on a number to represent the quality of a game.

Anyway, Guy Cocker might not appreciate wipeout on the levels that the people on this forum will. Hell, I'm sure a fair amount of us think fusion was a good game, just because it was wipeout. Jeff Gerstmann does, however, and I know he's been looking forward to this game, so his review on giantbomb will probably reflect that.

PSN ID
    CurlyPutz

Quote Originally Posted by Task View Post
    ( 7.5 + 9 + 9 ) / ( 10 + 10 + 10 ) = 0.85 = 8.5/10

Image back and reduced file size too. I agree it's poor design but still.
    Last edited by BaldyCurly; 24th September 2008 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Images links Added

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

The average shown is quite obviously not the average of the other sites scores, since as you've already noted it would then be 9.
    The average must include the local site, since that's the only way the math works out.

What it appears to be, what you think it is, and what it actually is are rarely all the same thing.

I blame it all on poor website design. 8 )

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

Quote Originally Posted by BaldyCurly View Post
    Yeah I can do the math...
    You might want to subtract about 90KB from that image before they getcha.

- F

It appears that they have got him.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Guy : You accelerate wit this button-
    Bimbo: What button is that
    Guy : The X button

---

XD

PSN ID
    CurlyPutz

Fair enough, was trying to make my point. Sorry for the large image, will remove it now.
    Last edited by BaldyCurly; 23rd September 2008 at 08:38 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Well you could have left it in a Link... :/

BaldyCurly, Jay had already made it a link, and it was no problem. Go ahead and put the link back if you wish. The image size limits set out in the guidelines pertain only to those displayed directly in the posts.

PSN ID
    CurlyPutz

Ah cool, I will add it back, was being lazy and didn't bother reducing the filesize, so busy here at work at the mo! I run my own web dev/design business, have done for the last 5 years so I should know better!