Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Petition against Elimination Respawning

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Berry View Post
    Yeah but if you by chance meet any of the dev team online tomorrow evening you might get a little bit of a kicking..
    Hey guys, the best occasion to avenge for the long, long, long and painfull waiting on HD

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Colin, you're saying some of the devs are gonna be online tomorrow?
    It's AWN, baby!

Nothing official but I suspect a few of us will be online later in the evening to check things out and play the odd game

PSN ID
    SouthendRage

Cool, can't wait to get online tonight! Find how good the devs are, I hope you put up a good fight

PSN ID
    Axellink

Oh man, that mens I will definately have to come online now then lol. I hope when your last because of respawn, we don't get a quake or anything like that for some time. That will tick a lot of peeps off!!!

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

I have to say I find it hilarious to read that respawning is supposed to be good for newbies. Online is NOT a good mode for beginners unless they're racing against equally new players. Single player mode to learn the game, Vector class to learn the game...oh wait, it's gone now isn't it?

Anyone remember playing Pulse when you were stuck racing noobs? They often seemed so frustrated they'd disconnect, and then there were the ones who actually turned around and tried racing backwards to ruin the other players' races. This happened when eliminations were still eliminations. With a respawn, ticked off people can keep respawning and screwing up the real race. Oh joy. Oh well. *Oh WipeoutZone members, thank goodness for you, for the races we will have, will be good races too-oo...*

@Colin: hope I didn't sound rude in my previous post, I was under the misconception that you thought everyone was just terrified of anything new (not the case...).

But surely noobs acting like idiots is a problem with any online game? In fact, experienced players spitting their dummies out is equally as bad.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

Yep, that's right.

*looks for dummy...finds a mirror...cha-ching!*

PSN ID
    infoxicated

I'm throwing my hat in the ring with regards to having an option to disable respawns. I had a tournament robbed from me tonight due to some lap-down, respawned idiot ramming me off of that great big over-rated, open-sided pile of **** in the sky.

Being rammed off of the (many, many, many) open sided sections in Pulse was the reason I quit playing that game online.

Having idiots respan and allowing them to affect the outcome of the race when they're a lap down is just going to ruin the experience for everyone that's not a newbie. Or an idiot.

PSN ID
    keenandinho10

Quote Originally Posted by Rubix42 View Post
    I' m tossing my hat in the other side of the ring. In a MP match online, if you are going to stay connected until the race finishes, than you should be able to respawn.

If they take out respawning, it should automatically drop me back into last place and disconnect me from the match, but that would be a nightmarish netcode to write. No respawns would kill the online community to have people sitting doing nothing because they got bounced out. Especially if it happened right away at the start of a race. Give a penalty for letting someone get blown up, and let them continue playing I say.

Plus, it gives you opportunity's for revenge
    Agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg View Post
    But surely noobs acting like idiots is a problem with any online game? In fact, experienced players spitting their dummies out is equally as bad.
    Worse in my opinion.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Squallie

I think you are exaggerating the downside of no respawns. Im talking about the waiting time. A race is over pretty quickly so having to wait is not a problem i.m.o.

The first time I was killed and respawned I thought I was just going to be able to have som fun as a ghost until the next race started. But some corners later I realized I was still in the race hehe. That could be a solution for the waiting "problem".

I think respawns should be turned off by default, but also having the option to turn it on would be best.

If this cant be achieved, please have a bigger penalty for being eliminated. 30% energy is ok, but respawn time should be longer. Or wait, that is even if you get the option to turn it off completely.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I'll have to admit that a race with 8 good pilots and weapons on can be so unforgivingly brutal, that when it kills you on the first lap you are quite thankful for getting respawned I didn't say that. No, no, someone stole my account and typed it using my name...

PSN ID
    Axellink

I know what you mean mate. I dropped from first in Anulpha Pass to last after being killed. Sometimes it pays to hang behind a little

But when you are playing against really good pilots and you die, you have basically lost. Might as well be dead lol.

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    I'll have to admit that a race with 8 good pilots and weapons on can be so unforgivingly brutal, that when it kills you on the first lap you are quite thankful for getting respawned I didn't say that. No, no, someone stole my account and typed it using my name...
    *cough*

*ahem*

*cough*

actually I cant add anything to this other than what I have already said, the team are taking note of such things and fingers crossed for future updates

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

yeah I knew you'd jump on this as soon as I (ahem, I mean someone else) typed it...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

To the contrary of eLhabib, I do not modify my original opinion. I got killed once or twice, but I found it incredibly cheap to be able to overcome the other guys and finish second still (The original position I was in when I got killed, or rather, killed myself). This was when I started playing Phantom online, and didn't know the reverse tracks (And the guy hosted practically only reverses). Now I know them, and don't get killed: it's that simple.
    Respawn, if you don't care about the position you will be in, makes you care less for your driving and therefore prevents you from getting any better. Instead, you say: 'Oh, I'll just respawn in five seconds'. If you actually died and were completely eliminated, you'd think: 'I've got to get better on that track so I don't die'. I'm still workin with that old philosophy, even though it is now obsolete, because it makes me that much better at the game, that philosophy pushes you to surpass yourself more than the other one.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Well, when I die in a race it's due to heavy weapons fire, not hitting walls. Especially in the first lap of a race, where the pack is close together, it can easily happen that you get hit by a quake, rockets, missiles, even plasma, all within 15 seconds. Even more so when you are in the front of the pack. There's really no way to avoid that, you can't even absorb enough to avoid elimination. In this situation, the respawn comes in handy.

Maybe it would be smart to enable a respawn only for the first lap, seeing as after that, the pack is more spread out and the weapons fire is not that intense.

By the way, I have discovered the joy of Avalon racing for myself, it really is the supreme way of racing. Gets rid of the BR oversaturation as well.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rubix42

I was pretty open to this at first, now I'm just not sure.

I wish the respawn had a skill decider, like you can respawn if it was from weapons fire, but if you just got lapped and wipeout from your own lack of skill, see ya next race

I am against respawning. Two reasons:
    1) It allows an incompetent but petty racer to muck up the game.
    2) Being eliminated from the race online is, as Darkdrium points out [me too, +1 ], an incentive to get better.

Default Mod message.

I will leave this message here for a short time, but I am deleting the potential flame-war-inducing posts made by some users immediately.

I'll be blunt about this: Moderation should be left to the moderators. Discussion of post quality and suitability is itself offtopic and should be carried out via PMs to the admin and the mods. And I don't want to see a war start over insulting disparagement of the posts of other users.