Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Petition against Elimination Respawning

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Thanks, you've expressed exactly how I feel about the issue.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

One of the most thrilling experiences in a Wipeout tournament has always been going in the last race of a tournament being second overall and HAVING to win that last race while the person in first MUST NOT get points, not even 1. So it was a matter of eliminating him while at the same time finishing first. This happens only so many times, for sure, but it's the "what could happen" kind of situations in a game paired with reactions and options available for the player to deal with those situations that make a good game. With the advent of respawns one major option in Wipeout's gameplay is missing.

@ Medusa, I was just giving examples of how people can go OH NO, when they hear something new without even trying it, and how they can be wrong. I wasnt getting into the specific of each (some folk like some changes, some dont, so be it) just pointing out that usually people hear 'new thing, thats different' and get closed towards the idea simply because it is different, it is a change, often people worry for no reason, because once they see the change, they realise its not actually a bad thing.

Of course there are some changes that are hit and miss and divide people, Barrel Rolls is one, some folk dislike them, some like them. Ultimately in that case who does the team listen to ? Fan A or Fan B ? The answer is simple: Neither. The team has to go with what it believes is right, and they know they wont ever please everyone, they just have to go with what they believe works best, and now and again the team disagree and then its down to the few to make the judgement call for what they believe is best for the game and that might mean going against what they personally want in some cases.
    Because no matter how noble it might be to say, **** the masses, lets make a game for the hardcore fans, that philosophy will put you out of a job, and thats not even considering how divided the hardcore can be.

But on respawns in multiplayer...
    As I said elsewhere, when people on the online team said they wanted respawn in, I was totally against it, far more than anyone has been here, far more swearing and stamping of feet, and you know, I hadnt even seen it in action or tried it.
    And the first few races I was far from convinced that we needed it, but the more we played with it, the more I appreciated it.

So whilst it might seem like a bad thing now, I've no doubt it will actually turn out to be a good thing for some poeple who might be wary. Yes there will be some who cant accept it I guess they have to cross their fingers for an add-on making it optional, but certainly for launch given it was one or the other, I am confident the right decision was made. I guess in a few days people will get to try it for themselves, and get rabid again

And rapid, too, we hope.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Berry View Post
    ... Barrel Rolls is one, some folk dislike them, some like them. Ultimately in that case who does the team listen to ? Fan A or Fan B ? The answer is simple: Neither. ...
    I don't mean to be a wisecrack here, but in the case of Barrel Rolls the answer is easier to find than you might think:

Does everyone hate BRs? NO. Ok, but would the people who like BRs actually care if BRs were gone? NO. Would that decision make the BR-haters happy? YES.

Here's your answer

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

My core Wipeout experience began with Pure (aside from a brief stint with WO64), so I'd probably be among the complainers if barrel rolls were ever removed from the game. I need all my speed, man.

- F

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Nadia_Elenova

Forgive my heresy, but I was born in 2097 and I'll still miss BR if they're removed.

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    I
    Does everyone hate BRs? NO. Ok, but would the people who like BRs actually care if BRs were gone? NO. Would that decision make the BR-haters happy? YES.

Here's your answer
    aaaah but thats just your opinion, it is not actual fact

You cannot take the views of a few of the hardcore (less than 80 votes on the barrel roll thread someone posted) and extrapolate it and make the assumption it is what everyone wants or that people who said they liked them wouldnt miss them
    There are plenty of people involved with the game who really like the barrel roll feature and are against removing it, and plenty of people who play the game but dont necessarily post here who like it as a feature.
    You assume the people who like them wouldnt care if they were gone, but you only assume that because that agrees with what you want

That said, personally, I wouldnt miss Barrel Rolls too much if they went (although it would feel odd playing pulse and pure tracks without) but I know the majority of the dev team would have argued against removing them from HD.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

But that's because HD is pretty well attached to Pure and Pulse. How did we end up discussing barrel rolls again? XD

having "infinite lives" would certainly aid a lot of the veterans in achieving those Elimination-related trophies, no?
    Last edited by RJ O'Connell; 22nd September 2008 at 10:05 PM.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Well put, Col.

Online polls are mostly pointless because they consist of the vocal minority - the hardcore fans who don't count when developers are selling a game to the mass market.

The only way to really vote is buying or not buying.