Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: What kind of DLC would you pay for, for WOHD?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

I think some of you are getting carried away with this topic though it is nice to witness the enthusiasm

I would probably pay for just about any DLC content for WOHD because I love the franchise, don't have that much time to spend playing video games in general, and life is too short to hold back on paying some cash to do something I enjoy. Not that I think Sony's marketing should be based around my particular behavior, I am hardly representative of the intended audience for WOHD.

To be honest, I would be THRILLED to see any sort of DLC support-- and the most useful (and probably most likely) is to have additional courses available for download. I agree with Asayyeah, a slow trick of tracks would be best, perhaps by releasing black/white versions of one track every 4-6 weeks? Hopefully WOHD gets enough sales to justify the effort on Studio Liverpool's behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    I would like to see the equivalent of Pure's Omega pack; to once again have artists in other fields design tracks and environments for an 'extracurricular' experience that is novel.
    Yes, this would indeed be awesome. Maybe if WOHD becomes the "crown jewel" of the PSN, Studio Liverpool will be given the latitude to do this

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback Jack View Post
    I'd like to see the Pulse DLC nicely tucked into a folder on the HD disc, damn right.
    I second this. Though I am trying to think already about ways to borrow a European friend's credit card so that I can create a EU PSN account. I sure would like to play those tracks!

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    Don't worry about free play - I just found out the new 'Speed Lap' acts as free play, giving you 99 laps to race (possibly more, haven't tried ).
    Best news EVAR! This was my primary complaint about Pulse-- seven laps is not enough. Thank you, SL.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rubix42

Tracks, tracks and more tracks.

I love that we have 8 tracks in the release, but more is always better. Expecially for a community like this were each track represents 10 hours of gaming or more.

Frances Penfold said: "I am hardly representative of the intended audience for WOHD."

The most enthusiastic supporters of the WipEout franchise don't seem to be near the center of the intended demographic for which the game is designed. Odd how things work out, isn't it? I think that except for massive role-playing games, the mass audience moves from game to game too fast to stay enthusiastic for extended periods of downloaded content. But DLC is relatively new; maybe really good DLC for long periods after release will change the market for racing and martial-arts games and FPSs.

One such download, even though a minor one, that I'd like to see is a package that can change colours and textures of the original environments to represent changes in seasons. If the original is Spring/Summer, as it most likely is, then alternates of Autumn and Winter would be nice low-cost [I suspect] visual variety to extend interest in playing a game.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

The most enthusiastic supporters of the WipEout franchise don't seem to be near the center of the intended demographic for which the game is designed. Odd how things work out, isn't it?
    Yes

It's a fundamental economic problem, right? Software development costs are sky-high for modern games, so it's only profitable to make games that appeal to a significant number of consumers. Games like Wipeout have always had a relatively small fan-base. Therefore the hardcore Wipeout gamer is only a small part of target audience for WOHD.

In all seriousness, I wonder it would be better for consumers and the industry to have fewer and more high quality game releases, such that gamers' attentions were less scattered.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rubix42

We would never be better off with fewer games. Imagine how bleak it would be with fewer titles. Plus, variety is the spice of life.

I do wonder how much DLC affects games in a time after launch graph. I'd imagine that high quality DLC would make a spike in activity of a certain game. The maps for CoD4 for example. Regardless, the console crowd is too fast paced for any game to retain popularity for too long. Halo, Socom and CoD being the few exceptions in this generation of hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Frances_Penfold View Post
    .. Games like Wipeout have always had a relatively small fan-base. Therefore the hardcore Wipeout gamer is only a small part of target audience for WOHD.
    Yeah, I think that's why I found Chill's call for a 'classic' handling model amusing (although I never meant to be so sarcastic, sorry again mate).

I know you guys would appreciate the choice, but the general games-playing public would probably find it totally baffling - not to mention the inevitable Xbot cries of 'Sony doesn't know what it's doing! They've effectively admitted HD's physics weren't up to snuff! PS3LOL!' etc.

It's really not something we could feasibly devote time, people and money to.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Wip3ou7pure

I think its fairly realistic for us to request for some more PSN Gamer Icons, and maybe you guys could get a pair or so out around the time WOHD releases? I've been using the ASSEGAI icon since the day the PS3 was released...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Yeah I've got a few A's in my friend list. Pretty hard to tell who is who until you look at the names, since everyone has "WIPEOUT HD!!!" as their comment xD People, be original

Also seems nobody noticed my custom skin editor option? Or nobody has played Spore yet...

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

I'd be happy to purchase stuff like...let's see...at least another four tracks (reversible) and if we had to "settle" for just PSP-era tracks I'd go with...Koltiwa...Staten Park (Exostra I would find too short and not as cool-looking in 1080p)....Vertica and Talon's Junction.

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

Quote Originally Posted by Egg View Post
    Sorry, I was in a grumpy mood this morning. Been listening to too much prog rock
    Thanx a lot for apologising!! It certainly did piss me off... lol... it's all good...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Squallie

(edit: uh there where a lot of posts between mine and the one I replied too.. its was that one about Spore and changing the looks on the ships. ^^)

PGR4 have that for the cars. It works fine. I have said it before but I will say it again. They really should look and steal things from PGR4 and bring it to wipeout. Im mostly thinking about the online features and replays and customization of ships etc.
    Save and share replays after each race. Take photos with a lot of effects while watching replays, and share them too. Upload directly to a website so you can link to them.
    Splitscreen multiplayer (really important) and team tournaments (2v2v2v2, 3v3v3, 4v4 etc..).

PGR4 are a really fun way to spend an evening with a couple of friends and an internet connection.
    Having the same possibilitys in the wipeout world would be even better.
    Last edited by Skvall; 18th September 2008 at 09:31 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Schumi_77

Yep, Team tournament is a great idea.
    Obviously, I would also pay for new tracks and ships (but not just for new HUD).

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Quote Originally Posted by KIGO1987 View Post
    I completed the GT4 24Hour Nurenburg race, it took me 9 hours to complete via B-Spec mode. Felt like **** at the end.
    Funnily enough 3, 4 years ago ? we planned a Nürburgrind GT4 weekend : we started at 3 friends in a flat around 2 pm saturday, relay every 1 hour, around 5 am we lost our mojo and felt sleepy, we let the ps2 running in pause mode and we finished the 24H ( a-Spec) during sunday afternoon and part of the evening : brilliant moment spent with friends but it's definitly TOO MUCH lol

One such download, even though a minor one, that I'd like to see is a package that can change colours and textures of the original environments to represent changes in seasons. If the original is Spring/Summer, as it most likely is, then alternates of Autumn and Winter would be nice low-cost [I suspect] visual variety to extend interest in playing a game.
    i second that idea that could be named Vivaldi Pack - the 4 seasons
    But Sebenco Climb in summer : no more snow mountains? visible sign of new global warming : scary vision

Or Pop art wipeout ala A. Warhol?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Wip3ou7pure

So Colin or Egg, how hard is it to get some new PSN Gamer Icons out? All these other games have tons... Uncharted, flOw, Calling All Cars and more. Is there any way you guys can hook us up with like 2-5 more icons? We want to represent WipEout HD!

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Yes good idea Lance: season change. And also endurance racing setting minutes or ...., well minutes is enough! Yes laps, of course, being able to set laps, so cool!

-BR off button
    -more tracks

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

What kind of DLC would I pay for??

Tracks - but in a different style, more basic, like a throwback to the oldschool games. They could be artist designed, like Lance said, but don't have to be. Just make the atmospheres different, like some night settings or season settings, and maybe some tracks with less texture - yes, I think I'm saying I'd pay for some bland tracks. LOL

I'd pay for the option to switch off barrel rolls. I'd pay a LOT if I had to. I wonder, would it be that hard to add that option into the game? Since it's not changing the physics, it doesn't have to be tested, does it?

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Probably anything they released.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post

Tracks - but in a different style, more basic, like a throwback to the oldschool games. yes, I think I'm saying I'd pay for some bland tracks.

yes! totally agree!

chill wrote

"Howabout "Wipeout XL/3 physics engine"? Or can that only be done during the production of the game?

Hey... that's why we're paying for it... Or is that not right? And the option for pit lanes on or off, and our style of energy (absorb/energy pack or pit lane) and turbo (barrel rolls or energy drain)...

P.S. I like W3O's energy drain better than Pulse or HD..."

I will ditto this, although no way this is happening. The only thing I want for downloads are fixes to any bugs in the game. 16 tracks is enough for me. Maybe a zen speed class though, whoever wrote that, I'll agree with you as well

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    cybrpnk

what would i pay for...hmmm...

definitely:
    more tracks (new and old tracks...I'm not too fussed...new or old in HD would be bonus)
    more crafts (these do not have to be new race teams although that would be a bonus...but it could even be new designs for crafts like the prototypes and concept crafts in previous WipEouts...not just decals)
    more music (new music of course...i guess this would be a good platform for up and coming musicians and artists to get some of their compositions out there...)
    new gameplay modes and options (team tournament???)

I'm picturing this to be sold not separately but in packs...like maybe the Pure downloadables...(eg...a pack may consist of 4 x tracks, 2 x crafts, 3 x music tracks, 1 x gameplay mode)

what I wouldn't pay for:
    new decals
    new HUDs
    new filters (for graphics...TRON mode, psychedelic velocity mode, WipEout mode, 2097 mode, Wip3out mode)