Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: WO HD Reviews

basically, this is the psp games knocked up a gear for the ps3, it's just like playing pulse on a big screen...kinda. that's what it was always going to be, it's what a lot of people wanted and it's what they've achieved. it's amazing really, just not exactly what i personally wanted. (i can hardly expect the SL guys to make the game i want!)

I think they 'could' get the 2097 physics into a new game, with a hell of a lot of testing (sure i read, they don't have the games code anymore) and it would work, hell just 2097, but with this graphics engine, more ships/tracks, no messing with the art style...heaven. it's whether they want to, i think this is the new direction for wipeout...

hat's off to them for making a great show piece for the potential of the psn/ps3.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Chrono11

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3170202

Here's 1up's review: A.

One thing that upsets me about the game design. I can't change my music while online.
    Last edited by Chrono; 27th September 2008 at 08:54 AM.

PSN ID
    nanotechnome

post deleted
    Last edited by cal6n; 27th September 2008 at 08:57 AM. Reason: got it wrong. DOH!

PSN ID
    Axellink

My only grip with the game is the over clean tracks and the standard HUD. The HUD issue is gone now I can use WO3 HUD. That HUD is so user friendly and superior and it baffles me on why SL went with the design of the HD HUD.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Fully agree with you, Axel.
    The tracks are way too clean for my taste. They still look phenominal and damn stunning. But when I look at the ship skins (Icaras's for example) then I may ask: When there are dirty ships (that look so nice), why can't we have that for the track textures as well?

I'm bothered far less by the clean tracks than by the busy textures but the one track where I do think it affects the look is Sebenco Climb. The snowy hills and BG feel more like a postcard stuck in the background because the snow doesn't carry over to anything in the foreground. Of course the track could be heated and you could make all sorts of arguments as to why the snow isn't there but it affects the overall feel of the track.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    all sorts of arguments as to why the snow isn't there
    No: just one. Constant 60 framerate.

PSN ID
    Curufinwe5503

Quote Originally Posted by Chrono View Post
    http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3170202

Here's 1up's review: A.

One thing that upsets me about the game design. I can't change my music while online.
    Bit worrying that the reviewer thinks playing with the Pilot Assist on is the way to go.

PSN ID
    CaptainGrim

Quote Originally Posted by Egg View Post
    No: just one. Constant 60 framerate.
    Given that the game renders at 1080p resolutions, high screen coverage effects like particles are very expensive. Having that extra fixed cost in for the snow effect probably would have meant that some other aspect of that track would have had to be simplified to clear some GPU time.

You never know though, perhaps that might something they might consider doing in the future... Let the mighty Crob work his magic

Oh, I just meant actual snow textures on the sides of the track, or close to the track, rather than the particle effects. I just meant that, in the context of the clean track discussion, the stuff in the background is snow covered but the track is absolutely spotless whether in tunnels or exposed to the elements.

I do love effects like rain and snow, of course, but I would certainly applaud the decision to put frame rate first. I hope other developers follow your example.

PSN ID
    CaptainGrim

Oh, I just meant actual snow textures on the sides of the track, or close to the track, rather than the particle effects.
    My bad... sorry!

PSN ID
    Crobweb

Oh, I just meant actual snow textures on the sides of the track, or close to the track ... the stuff in the background is snow covered but the track is absolutely spotless whether in tunnels or exposed to the elements.
    Erm ... the anit-grav surface melts any snow instantly of course.

Quake disruptors do some serious snow melting too. After the first race of the day the snow`s all gone.

Definitely agree that putting framerate above other considerations is a great way to go.

PSN ID
    nanotechnome

Quake disrupters keep the track clean, too!

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

When technology becomes more advanced, (I mentioned this in a significantly earlier thread), not only would I like to see snow on the track, but the track should start all covered with snow. As AG-Crafts pass over the track, they 'carve' out the snow by melting it, leaving trails in the snow.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    cybrpnk

Quote Originally Posted by cal6n View Post
    Quake disrupters keep the track clean, too!
    Ever try cleaning your carpet at home with a quake disruptor???

I haven't but there's a concept you could try...eheheh...

Who needs vaccum cleaners...clean your house instantly with dyson's new quake dirsuptor...

Quote Originally Posted by insertcoin View Post
    When technology becomes more advanced, (I mentioned this in a significantly earlier thread), not only would I like to see snow on the track, but the track should start all covered with snow. As AG-Crafts pass over the track, they 'carve' out the snow by melting it, leaving trails in the snow.
    I'm hoping that will be something a NEW Blu-Ray disc edition of WipEout could intergrate...hint hint at SL...

Surely the track is infinitely polished up and cleaned before an FX350 raceday - even if it's snowing, you wouldn't see snow settled on a Formula 1 race track would you?

Also, the track could be under-heated to melt off snow.

/VeryActiveImagination

Quote Originally Posted by Crob View Post
    Erm ... the anit-grav surface melts any snow instantly of course.
    Riiiiiiight.

--------

F1 doesn't race in winter, do they? Probably to avoid snow. Unlike WipEout!

Timezone
    GMT -5

Quote Originally Posted by captaingrim View Post
    Having that extra fixed cost in for the snow effect probably would have meant that some other aspect of that track would have had to be simplified to clear some GPU time.
    Or creatively remove the burden on the GPU entirely.
    You are racing in a heavy snowstorm, you can't see anything but ... drifting snow.
    Being a hardcore AG pilot you face the challenge by flying on instruments only, squinting at an optional 480 x 272 virtual representation on your HUD ... which strangely looks like Pure's Classic tracks.

PSN ID
    Sumimasen

Quote Originally Posted by cybrpnk View Post
    Who needs vaccum cleaners...clean your house instantly with dyson's new quake dirsuptor...
    Ah, so that's what they're working on! That would explain all the noise from the RDD labs downstairs! Should be a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    F1 doesn't race in winter, do they? Probably to avoid snow. Unlike WipEout!
    As far as I'm concerned, F1 doesn't race anymore - period. My wife and I went to our first live Grand Prix a few weeks ago, at Spa in Belgium, and the result was a farce. It won't be long before the FIA are deciding the winner before the season starts. Hell, I'm convinced that they do that already.
    Last edited by Sumimasen; 28th September 2008 at 07:32 AM.