Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: WO HD Reviews

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Squallie

The feeling of flying in Wipeout got more like f-zero with Fusion and I still think Pulse is to close to f-zero in that regard.

I hope HD is more floaty, but judging from videos its not enough. That is what im missing most from the old games. Sure I would happily "get rid of the BR's" (or some other popular opinion) but mainly I want to FLY, not drive. =P

PSN ID
    Sumimasen

Ah, Quantum Redshift...

I remember when that came out, I wasn't really that impressed with it. It kinda tries to bridge the style gap between F-Zero and Wipeout, but with a quite funky weapon system. The characters were a bit bland though, and quite stereotypical.

I played it again recently though, and really enjoyed it! I'm glad that I kept my original Xbox disk, as the 360 plays it in upscaled HD - and it still looks pretty good today!

PSN ID
    Axellink

Erm back in the day F-zero was completely different from Wipeout. Now that gap has gone a lot closer. To be honest, as a racing game, F-zero on the GC was a awesome game. The speeds were crazy. Yes it may not be serious but I can appreciate a good game when I see one. I'm a fan of both so

But the less floatier Wipeout becomes, the more the gap closes.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    cybrpnk

Quote Originally Posted by Amon View Post
    I can't understand this thread in the gaming industry. New generation of gamers must have some kind of problems ... Games nowadays are becoming slideshows where there is no skil required, no learning curve.

These casuals should stay with their casual games and don't ruin long time running series like wipeout and many others.
    The dumbing down of games is a truly sad and highly prevalent trend in todays gaming industry...i blame it on publishers trying to push unit numbers rather than quality games...

That being said...I don't believe HD has been dumbed down at all with the Pilot Assist (this probably belongs in the Pilot Assist thread)...I htink the main reason for its introduction is to capture a new audience...and retain a new set of gamers who have never played WipEout...you have to admit, WipEout is a hardcore game at heart and some gamers might be turned off by the difficulty and simply just leave and not give the game a chance...Pilot Assist is a pretty smart move on SL's part...whether it breaks the game...remains to be seen...but I doubt it will...

I too am sick of games that holds gamers hands all the way...having grown up in the 80s and playing games like the simple yet difficult yet addictive pac-man for hours on end...I love a good game that promotes the hardest of gameplays...ones that are insanely difficult and promotes replayability through high scores...like Super Stardust HD...and the many shmups I have in my personal collection...

Quote Originally Posted by Sumimasen View Post
    Ah, Quantum Redshift...

I remember when that came out, I wasn't really that impressed with it.
    Factoid - a lot of people on the Wipeout HD team also worked on Quantum Redshift.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    cybrpnk

Quote Originally Posted by Egg View Post
    Factoid - a lot of people on the Wipeout HD team also worked on Quantum Redshift.
    Hmmm...might try and find me an XBOX for cheap and a copy of Quantum Redshift...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

You'd better! QR is really worth it - I enjoyed it a lot! As a matter of fact, I'm glad I bought an Xbox first and a PS2 much later. QR was better than Fusion, if you ask me.

Ben

with regards to the f-zero comparison. they're hugely different games, this is true, and as a fan of both i rate wipeout highly above f-zero, in fact wipeout is so far up it can't even see f-zero any more...but i still think the two latest incarnations of wipeout have moved away from the style i believed wipeout to hold to.

about games getting easier, i don't think you have to worry about that in HD, i've watched tons of material on the game and your shield energy seems to just vanish even when doing pretty well...your gonna have to play well in this one i think.

also here's a new vid i just found of an assegai racing on the HD Chenghou Project, one of the tracks i think they HD-er-ised without going too f-zero with the art direction!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfdm-y5l1d8

things of note:

1.music dims when your shield is about to go (along with the music dimming during shields and autopilot i'm not sure about this, you may not notice it when playing, but that's an initial thought!)
    2.bit of wall grinding at the end: nice.
    Last edited by DawnFireDragoon; 22nd September 2008 at 12:12 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Wip3ou7pure

I remember that the thing which impressed me the most in Quantom Redshift was the waterdrop effect on the first person view camera when you craft dunked underwater or flew across bodies of water... awesome, even today. I still have Quantom Redshift, but alas I have no x-box at home. I guess I could always bring one home from my store though if I truely had the desire to play it again.

PSN ID
    Sumimasen

Quote Originally Posted by Egg View Post
    Well, I knew that quite a few guys that worked on the early WO's either formed or joined Curly Monsters (the team that did QR), but I wasn't aware that they went back to Studio Liverpool.

Hi guys! *waves*

Oh and Egg - thanks for quoting the least flattering part of my post!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

Quote Originally Posted by emerald dragoon View Post
    also here's a new vid i just found of an assegai racing on the HD Chenghou Project..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfdm-y5l1d8
    More of the glorious ship sounds in evidence. The Triakis sounds like a UFO. The Assegai passes it after it gets clocked by a bomb at 20 seconds in before it returns to overtake the Assegai going into the first tunnel.

- F

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Amon69it

Quote Originally Posted by agent orange View Post
    I too am sick of games that holds gamers hands all the way...having grown up in the 80s and playing games like the simple yet difficult yet addictive pac-man for hours on end...I love a good game that promotes the hardest of gameplays...ones that are insanely difficult and promotes replayability through high scores...like Super Stardust HD...
    We must have the same gaming culture mate

Maybe similar age too.

I'm fond of superstardust HD too.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rubix42

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback Jack View Post
    More of the glorious ship sounds in evidence. The Triakis sounds like a UFO. The Assegai passes it after it gets clocked by a bomb at 20 seconds in before it returns to overtake the Assegai going into the first tunnel.

- F

Looks like this will be the game that finally makes me break down and buy a surround sound system.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback Jack View Post
    The Triakis sounds like a UFO.
    How come you know what a UFO sounds like?

Quote Originally Posted by Sumimasen View Post
    Well, I knew that quite a few guys that worked on the early WO's either formed or joined Curly Monsters (the team that did QR), but I wasn't aware that they went back to Studio Liverpool.
    Heh, I've just been sternly corrected. "A lot of..." should read "Two of..."

Although two, admittedly, was a lot when the project began. And some of the guys I thought worked at Curly actually didn't ... d'oh

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdrium777 View Post
    How come you know what a UFO sounds like?
    Vicarious experience, well, because there are no UFOs in Toronto -- they all frolick around Calgary and within the bible belt in the U.S.

- F

Egg/Jon, what is Nick doing at SL these days. I know he worked on F1 for awhile there after his Curly Monsters died an unfortunate death, but I've not heard anything definite lately. Or is that the way Nick wants it?

Nick is still here, working on other projects

Thanks, Colin. Very... uh... informative.

The Gamespot review is looking more and more like an anomaly:

http://games.kikizo.com/reviews/ps3/wipeout-hd-p1.asp