Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: WO HD Reviews

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rubix42

The bad news about dedicated servers to support the online means that once Sony doesn't want to pay for them anymore, the online portion of the game ceases to exist.

Not an issue for casual joe gamer who will play this for a while and then move onto to the next game, but for people like us becomes an issue down the line.

Otherwise, great reviews all around. I'm sure d'ling this on the 25th is going to be all kinds of annoying.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

Quote Originally Posted by Frances_Penfold View Post
    I was pleasantly surprised with how well Wipeout Pulse worked online, and am hoping for the same with WOHD
    Indeed, they did a great job with Pulse's online capabilities; that's really the best feature of the game I'd say.

You'll be happy to hear that if they develop software in Liverpool anything like it's done over here, the online capabilities in HD will be based directly on the code from Pulse. Somewhere from 70-90% the same code would be my guess. With modifications based on what they learned after Pulse was released.

So bright skies for HD online!

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Oh look another 9/10. INJUSTICE! They should have called it Wipeout GTA an instant 10 would have been awarded before they even played the game even if it was an over hyped pile of ****.

On another note I see some spank thinks that Zone mode was introduced in Wipeout 3, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Amon View Post
    developers always write "prediction" code to cope with latency.
    So long as it predicts that I will win and the code executes that outcome efficiently there`ll be no complaints from me.

LOL Stephen. The EG review was a bit odd - attention to detail it wasn`t, but a 9 is what matters I suppose.

I`m sure the online will be as good as it can be when playing people far away. Pulse ran very well, even Pure ran very well adhoc on Kai.

Congratulations to SL for the great reviews. The IGN review is really glowing, but I didn`t like the part where he mentioned a Zone 75 trophy

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Worry not, I got to Zone 45 on my first try on Vineta K, and I'm a rather crappy Zone pilot. Vineta K is one of the harder tracks in HD for Zone, too (very bumpy and narrow), so I think Zone 75 should be doable. Hard, but not impossible by any means.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

The whole trophy thing will be interesting-- given my compulsions about time trialing (which most people here share), I can only imagine many of us racing over and over and over again trying to get every last trophy.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Amon69it

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    AFAIK, wipEout HD online runs on dedicated servers, which helps a lot in this regard.
    I beg to disagree ... Dedicated servers are good because all the work is made by then and the clients don't have any cpu overhehead. Put speaking of latency only there's no gain that i know of.

The big gain is that there is no "hosting advantage", In a game like Metal Gear Online where one of the clients is hosting the match, for example, you see that.

Dedicated servers resolve that problem.

However, it's nice too hear so many people pleased by the multiplayer experience provided by Psp's wipeouts.

This is a good sign

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Squallie

The "best" solution (no solution is perfect though) is to have dedicated servers run by the community, like with Quake.

The community dies when it wants to die and the servers are stable and noone(usually) has ping advantage over the others.

Maybe this and official servers at the same time would be best.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    zerojay

Quote Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
    Good to hear about dedicated servers. It really helps in games like Warhawk and Burnout. I wish Gran Turismo had this facility.

OT:How come Sony, on a free service can provide these, and microsoft can't?
    You don't know what you're talking about. Every game on Xbox Live has a dedicated server. Hell, there's still servers up for many Xbox 1 games. (And I'm not a Microsoft fan by any means.)

"You don't know what you're talking about."

I'd prefer not to hear that sort of inflammatory phrase in the forums.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Ok, so the game finding and all online features run on a dedicated server. Yay.
    And then the real games (ie you playing) happens on someone else's X-Box. This sucks when the other guy's connection is bad. We're just glad WipEout will have actual game dedicated servers. Lance spoke and I agree.

PSN ID
    JamboGT

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
    You don't know what you're talking about. Every game on Xbox Live has a dedicated server. Hell, there's still servers up for many Xbox 1 games. (And I'm not a Microsoft fan by any means.)
    Sorry for my not putting my point across properly. Just want to point out I have a 360 as well!

Tampere, Finland (Land of Xios and Outpost 7!)
    Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Shozovulnai

Observe the GameSpot's natural ability to be a bunch of dummies: http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/driving/...ry;read-review

So yeah, a 7.5. First thing listed as "Bad" is kinda obvious if you ask me. Nevermind, that site hasn't been credible since the dawn of time anyway.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Quote Originally Posted by Shozovulnai View Post
    So yeah, a 7.5. First thing listed as "Bad" is kinda obvious if you ask me.
    Which doesn't mean it must never be mentioned. I consider myself a seasoned Pure and Pulse pilot - and for that simple reason the appeal of HD is reduced significantly.

There is a reason to why EA doesn't get enthusiastic reviews as long as they deliver little more than their annual graphical sports game update, wouldn't you agree? And honestly, HD, for all its greatness, is hardly more than a Pure/Pulse remix. I'm not exactly thrilled by thinking about racing the same courses... yet again. I love it, but it's not THE next WipEout thing.

To be more precise on a personal level: I couldn't care less about graphics, high-def and 60 frames. I dig games for either gameplay or story - and in that regard WHO is mostly old news.

Yes, I DO love HD!

Nevermind, that site hasn't been credible since the dawn of time anyway.
    Why is that?

Ben
    Last edited by G'Kyl; 20th September 2008 at 05:16 AM.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Did Gamespot not fire that editor for his harsh words towards Kane & Lynch, was Edios not lining whoever owns GS's pockets with cash hence the reason why Gamespot was caked in Kane & Lynch adverts? I wonder why the guys bad review didn't go down well.

I also heard they were totally bias towards the 360 at one point, probably being payed off by Micorsoft. I know many peoples who don't believe GS has any credabililty.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Nadia_Elenova

When it says that all ships were in the previous games as a "bad thing" I thought in Street Fighter without Ryu and Ken.
    Someone must explain this guys the meaning of "repackaging" as they use it too naively.

Ok, wipeout is no piece of cake for newcomers, but "Incredible steep difficulty curve"? "Even seasoned players will struggle from the fifth tier onward"? I'd like to see the "seasoned player" who told that.

And my favourite: "a game that's obviously meant for fans, but one that paradoxically gives them nothing they don't already have. If you're a fan of the series but missed the PSP games then HD is a must-buy, but Wipeout stalwarts could rightfully look at this director's cut as a bit of a cash-in. "
    I already have introduced four of my friends into wipeout thanks to WOHD, and no wipeout fan (who had a PSP) would have ever missed Pure and Pulse, hilariously out of logic!

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

Quote Originally Posted by Shozovulnai View Post
    So yeah, a 7.5.
    Blasphemous, but IGN UK gave it a 9.2 so it evens out. "The Big Two" have their moments of inconsistency when it comes to reviewing games with any common sense (see NASCAR 09).

In my opinion, nobody's evaulation of a game is valid except one's own.

Every review is truly valid only for the reviewer. And only if they're not getting paid for it.

the guy they fired, Jeff Gerstmann, was a huge wipeout fan as well!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rubix42

My biggest beed with reviews and review sites in general is about 95% of them all issue the same review with a different coat of paint. They all make points regarding the bullet points on the game box, and they all seem to come in with roughly the same scores (with a few higher or lower) and they all seem to read the same.