Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: WO HD Reviews

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rubix42

Lawdy lawdy! Can't wait to play this. F the people with the nice clean Wipeout preview case and disc. I would pay $60 to buy the disc with that packaging, even though the game is only $20 online.

Quote Originally Posted by Frances_Penfold View Post
    blah blah .. replay .. blah blah
    Pretty much all wrong.
    Yeah, but I think 'replay' has become a general word for 'watching AI ships noodling around the track before or after a race'. We certainly use the term 'replay cameras' in the studio - meaning the fixed and dynamic viewpoints around the track - despite there being no actual recorded replays.

He's certainly wrong in one respect though - you can enter Photo Mode anytime. You don't have to wait for a race to finish.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Btw: do the cradts fire weapons after the race has finished? They don't in WOPulse and it's really more logical (why would they damage each other when the race is over?) but with photomode it's nicer to have some nice explosions going on.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Why would they damage each other after the race? Well because maybe someone is a bad looser and feels like blasting the winner? I would certainly be tempted......lol

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    cybrpnk

and now i am extra super psyched for this game even more!!! job well done colin, egg, all at SL...

PSN ID
    Liambotham

The review posted saddens me. Not because Wipeout HD is undoubtably an amazing game, but becasue its coming out on the one console i cant afford to pay for...i want this game so much =[

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    taqili

congrats on the positive review, guys ! =)

PSN ID
    JamboGT

Great review guys well done, am really excited for this now!

Rock on!

BTW Reviewers never seem to pick up on certain points do they?

Timezone
    GMT -5

Quote Originally Posted by Egg View Post
    ... despite there being no actual recorded replays. ... you can enter Photo Mode anytime. You don't have to wait for a race to finish.
    Which is exactly what confused me about photo mode in Pulse. When I'm racing, I'm jockeying for position, not looking for a photo op. Once the race is over I might be calm enough to recognize a picture perfect moment in a Ridge Racer/Race Driver: Grid style recorded replay of the race but Pulse doesn't have one. So to me photo mode felt like wasted effort in the absence a race replay. (not that it exactly detracted from the enjoyment of the game - it just struck me as a curious decision).

So it seems that the reviewer had the expectation of watching a replay after conclusion of the race based on the various precedents in other racing games, not realizing that in fact the ships were merely cruising about the track.
    Last edited by HydrogLox; 16th September 2008 at 12:23 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

^That.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Squallie

PSN ID
    Axellink

Lag free online is very good to know. But I knew it would almost be lag free as I found Pulse online to be very good.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Amon69it

Quote Originally Posted by Axel View Post
    Lag free online is very good to know. But I knew it would almost be lag free as I found Pulse online to be very good.
    I find it strange instead. Coming from years of PC Online racing i've always imagined that porting wipeout online would be a difficult task.

I will be really surprised if the online experience will be good. Wipeout imho is too fast to permit good racing online, latency is always present no matter how good is your code.

So developers always write "prediction" code to cope with latency. But it's much easier to have this kind of stuff work with something like Motorstorm, for example where speeds are much slower.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

WipEout HD includes some superbly integrated custom soundtrack support, trophies and optional DLC in the future (the PSP games received tons of support post release).
    Pardon me a moment -- as a neglected North American still waiting for the Wipeout Pulse DLC, guffaw!

- F

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Quote Originally Posted by Amon View Post
    I will be really surprised if the online experience will be good. Wipeout imho is too fast to permit good racing online, latency is always present no matter how good is your code.

So developers always write "prediction" code to cope with latency. But it's much easier to have this kind of stuff work with something like Motorstorm, for example where speeds are much slower.
    AFAIK, wipEout HD online runs on dedicated servers, which helps a lot in this regard.

PSN ID
    JamboGT

Good to hear about dedicated servers. It really helps in games like Warhawk and Burnout. I wish Gran Turismo had this facility.

OT:How come Sony, on a free service can provide these, and microsoft can't?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Because Microsoft is cheap?

PSN ID
    JamboGT

Hmmm, that could be the case, though I have to admit the last thing I want to do is start a flame war!

Dedicated servers provide such a stable platform compared to user servers. I rally am quite excited about this, I see the use of sixaxis for pitch was noted, I think this may be my first use of the sixaxis controls!

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Quote Originally Posted by kanar View Post
    Wow just read the eurogamer review... wow. I'm sure the hype will continue till' the release date... Sony please prepare psn servers for HUGE traffic...(not like konami you know)
    Yes, yes. Be on defcon 2 for this one Sony. I dont want see disconnection from server and timed out ****. I hope my net provider cleans there **** up by then.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

IGN review... 9.2 out of 10!

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/910/910419p1.html

(sorry if old-- didn't find it elsewhere in this thread!)

Edit no. 1-- reviewers are sure convinced their will be DLC support for this game.

Edit no. 2-- quick response to previous post about latency...

Quote Originally Posted by Amon View Post
    I find it strange instead. Coming from years of PC Online racing i've always imagined that porting wipeout online would be a difficult task. I will be really surprised if the online experience will be good. Wipeout imho is too fast to permit good racing online, latency is always present no matter how good is your code. So developers always write "prediction" code to cope with latency. But it's much easier to have this kind of stuff work with something like Motorstorm, for example where speeds are much slower.
    I agree with Amon that latency is ALWAYS a problem, regardless of code or servers, because you have to deal with the least common denominator for internet connection speeds. And as Amon says, racing games always have prediction code to deal with latency. It'll be interesting to see how well Wipeout HD does with lag once we have worldwide matches going. I was pleasantly surprised with how well Wipeout Pulse worked online, and am hoping for the same with WOHD
    Last edited by Frances_Penfold; 16th September 2008 at 07:36 PM.