Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Release date (merged)

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Greif

Nah, he might be crying by the end of this month.
    Last edited by Ota; 17th May 2008 at 04:36 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Excuse me Egg, what exactly are your plans for WipEout HD? I'm afraid we did not get the same information. We were all expecting this to come out soon (According to the few information we get for the game through other sites than this one [Bad move]) and you come up and reassure us that everything is OK. Yet, it seems that everything is OK only for your "plan", but what little info we get conflicts with what we had thought about the release date for the game at first.
    We know how hard it is to set a definite release date, because afterwards it is more of a deadline and if you do not finish your work before that deadline fans will be rioting.
    However, I think (And agree with the people who think the same way) that the time has come to send out more information about the game. WipEout as you say is a niche franchise, well how about trying to get it out of that tight situation? That's what advertising is for. But for now all that has been seen about WipEout HD are a few videos and less than 100 screenshots. That does not really help. WipEout HD is a big title and it should get the attention it deserves. If you are not responsible for the advertising of your game, talk to someone who is. Also, as far as I recall there has been no Q&A about WipEout HD released. Ever. Look at what Insomniac Games is doing, look how Rachet and Clank and Resistance are succesfull. Can't you do the same? I personally believe WipEout to be as succesfull as these two titles, yet it does not have the attention it deserves. Sure, you've got a couple of fanboys all over the web who are ready to publish articles about the game on sites such as 1Up or IGN, but until you get the word out to the masses, nobody will ever read these articles except your loyal fans, because nobody knows the game exists (All right that's an overstatement but still you get the point).
    Please, get the word out. Also, I think you need it more that we do. As you know, Pulse did not do very well, and WipEout HD should not meet the same fate. It would be very bad for you if WipEout stayed under the shadows longer.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I think the main problem here is that the marketing folks at Sony don't see the WipEout series as the technical masterpiece and game culture phenomenon it is (was). They just see it as a game that will not appeal to the masses who play EA games. They consider advertising it large scale a waste of money, and stick strictly to advertising it on the Playstation Network, because that's what people need anyway to download it. I don't think they realise that they could blow this one up to a system seller. Trippy visuals and electronic music win over even the most ignorant casual gamer, I bet.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    taqili

Yeah, and you still have the PS3 for when the game comes out...it's not like they said sell your PS3 because the game's not coming out, then released it the next day.

As I have said recently it will be out when its ready (we planned for last december initially, however for various issues this could not be achieved, am I going to go into detail, no not at all)

Secondly the date of september is as speculative as a date of tomorrow and is the first I have heard, I'll be stunned if anyone inside Sony with any knowledge is whispering that to people, it is pure speculation.

Its entirely upto each territory when the game will be released and marketed, the team has zero say in marketing and release dates, however given there is an attempt to have this as a worldwide release it can complicate matters, as far as I know the intention is for a simultaneous release and this takes coordination of all territories on release schedules, catalogues and marketing, it might be that it is not workable, but as far as I know that is whats being worked towards.

But if you think we have any say on marketing or whatever.... I mean come on think about it, we are programmers, artists and designers, not marketing people. You want us to go banging on marketings door or advertising demanding answers. . . .that is not how the real world works (and there have been several Q&A released some linked here).

Of course the team would love to see the game advertised on tv, but it is nothing to do with us. Do you think the guys in a car factory get to tell Audi how to advertise the cars they build ? Do you think an actor gets to decide how a film or tv series is marketed and when its released or shown. Have a think about the real world, we develop the game, that is our job, other people advertise and market it, that is their job.

Talk of false advertising and suing sony is so ridiculous it is beyond laughable, I can understand the frustration about lack of information and disappointment that the game is not out yet, but have some perspective.

I can appreciate you want information, but the simple truth is, the game is almost finalised it is 99% done. Once it has gold mastered it will be ready. Then it is for each territory to coordinate and work on a release date.

Honestly guys, dont go jumping off buildings or storming sony offices just because the game might not be out yet. If Eggy or I could tell you a release date we would truth is we dont know, and I am sure there are people working feverishly in SCEE and SCEA on finalising the marketing advertising and release. I am sure the wait wont be much longer before there is more information

PSN ID
    humangoogle -OFW-

In all honesty, I'm glad you're taking so long with HD, we don't want anything as bug-riddled as pulse...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Colin, thanks for that.

PSN ID
    stin_wz

Seriously, I knew that!, because, it`s nothing to do with them no matter what, like Colin said earlier, they are only workers, just like the rest of us. Marketeers are totally different story. Like they are trying to aim to gain a better franchise or whatever.

I cannot believe I wrote this!

stevie

PSN ID
    CurlyPutz

Gutted but thanks for the update Colin, guess I will have to stick to GT5p a little longer.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Assimilator69

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Berry View Post

I can appreciate you want information, but the simple truth is, the game is almost finalised it is 99% done. Once it has gold mastered it will be ready. Then it is for each territory to coordinate and work on a release date.

If Eggy or I could tell you a release date we would truth is we dont know, and I am sure there are people working feverishly in SCEE and SCEA on finalising the marketing advertising and release. I am sure the wait wont be much longer before there is more information
    Hi Colin thanks for the reply and you know that we all appreicate the hard work you guys / programmers have done on pulse and HD

hearing that the game is only 99% complete tells me you guys are still hard at it.

but what that also tels me is that Sony's martketing team are some what disconnected from what you guys are doing and also disconnected with each region.

It would be far better if they only published a TBA next to the release date unit you guys say it's "%100 now go and sell it and set your release date".

To date AU web site says 29/4/08 (out of date)
    UK web site said april - june now just says May no actual date
    US are now saying summer /q3 08

So in summary it does not seem like the regions are getting together on this title at all.

"You want us to go banging on marketings door or advertising demanding answers. . . "

Yes. Think about how much time you put into making the game, and they are not going to advertise it at all, just like pulse. I did not see one thing on pulse in the stores, or on tv. Hence, crappy sales for a pretty good game.

"Talk of false advertising and suing sony is so ridiculous it is beyond laughable, I can understand the frustration about lack of information and disappointment that the game is not out yet, but have some perspective."

If these guys were being serious, I would agree with you, but I thought it was pretty clear they were either joking, or completely frustrated with the lack of information about their favorite game franchise of a game that is 99% done.

I don't think people are on here to argue with you Colin, but getting some information would be nice every once in a while, like the info you just gave. I think people would like to hear how the game plays(like pulse?pure? a little different?). Any changes being done? I think we don't understand why this part has to be so secretive. What would the issue with saying something to the effect of " The game has been sped up a little since pure, and it is a little more floaty". These are the types of things that we like to hear about, and keeps the wipeout community exited about the game.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ColdRemS

One thing I really appreciate in this forum: there's a dialog between fans that we are and devs (Colin and Egg). This is fantastic.
    However, I must agree with Jabberjaw, what we criticize here is the lack of information. I mean, it is so easy for you to say "the game is 99% done" and so good for us to hear!At least we have something to rely on!

In all cases, thank you Colin for reading and answering us.

I'd also like to precise I've been surprised by the number of people all over the web that are saying they just can't wait for this game. Maybe we'll all have a surprise...(I just hope so!)

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Hey Colin, thanks a lot for taking some of your time to answer

I can understand that the developing team is disconnected from the marketing team, and that advertising is non-existent because of that.
    However we all like the little bits of info, just like Al said, and I too do not understand why it is such a secret right now. If as you say the game is 99% done (And my request is based only on your assumption, I know how developing stuff and giving a progress bar is an estimate), I would think that the time has come to start sending out a bit more information such as the online features, the gameplay, offline features, etc. because the game should not change much from that date onwards, so you could be safe if something in the game happens to change (Which I doubt, because you seem pretty close to a gold status). This is also the kind of infos we want, and while the news of a possible delay saddens us all, quirks about the game can keep us excited until whenever the game comes out, and could help spreading the name of the game on game websites like IGN or Gamespot. There you could get some advertising as well

But all in all, I am very happy to hear that the game is coming, and that I will get the chance to play it in HD I watched the newest trailer about the game on a new Sharp 32 inch HDTV, and I was even more impressed by the graphics than on my 20 inch ViewSonic monitor. It looks very awesome, thanks for making the game happen

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Theres a double page spread in OPM this month, not a lot of info just a big picture of a Piranha at Sol 2, a pretty damn nice picture too. There is a little bit at the side, dev talk a short quote from someone called Clemens Wangerin, Development Director SCE Studio Liverpool: "Wipeout HD completely redefines the benchmark for Playstation Network games on PS3"

Really? If it's gonna be some sort of PSN flagship title you'd expect at lease some form of advertising right?

Oh yeah the mag is still saying spring for release.

We shouldn't be really that surprised that dates change on different websites - big companies always have problems co-ordinating their right and left hands, sometimes even failing to find their arse with both of them.

[Edit]Although Eurogamer's preview seems to say the same as Colin above - nigh on complete. Generally very positive too.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php...=135081&page=2

WipEout HD's close relationship with Pure and Pulse means that a lot of it is familiar, like the weapons - quake, leech, cannons, shields, machineguns, autopilot - and the ability to replenish your craft's health by absorbing power-ups, but then WipEout's old-school blend of high-speed, high-concept steer-from-the-back hover-racing, learning boost pad positions to zoom past other racers across futuristic Blade Runner worlds, is as strong now as it was in 1995, and much better for the new visuals. If the price is right, and Sony Liverpool eliminates the minor slowdown and tearing, this will be what we're being told it is, and so we shall celebrate.My Italics.
    Which might explain for the liquid releae date.
    Last edited by Norfolk'n'Clue; 19th May 2008 at 01:11 PM.

I think something that would help out here, is a demo. One track, two ships(fast acceleration vs fast speed), on TT and arcade, any speed class. This is a small amount of content, but could get people exited about the game (non wipeout people), not to mention just knowing it exists. It believe the people on this forum would be very satisfied with something like this (and certainly would cause less complaining about information). How are you going to complain, when you are playing the game

Most other games get demos on the ps3 store, why not this one? especially since it is a sony game.

I wonder how much work you'd need to put in to chop the game down though - it might not just be case of deleting chunks of code. If it required significant work, I'd rather they spent their effort on the game

PSN ID
    ByteHawk

that would be up to the marketing guys to decide and then ask the development house to provide a demo if I read colin's message correctly.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ColdRemS

Well I think that if the game was 99% done last week, it WILL be finished on the 29th of May. The main question is: will they wait until everyone is ready (SCEE,SCEA,...) for a world release (and if so will it be the case by the end of May?) or will they release the game in Europe first and then later (summer) elsewhere?(Hope my English is clear )

Let me remind you that GT5 Prologue which is a major (if not the biggest) PSN release was released in Europe before The US (but after Japan of course).

I'd be really sorry for you guys over the Atlantic, but I really hope I'll enjoy WipeHD next week!

PSN ID
    CurlyPutz

Yeah, I hope so too.