Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: Release date (merged)

Timezone
    GMT -7

Game development at Sony is a slow motion trainwreck.

No-one at Sony talks to anyone else at Sony. Its like they think they'll get fired or something. No-ones knows anything and no-one dares say anything anyway.

PSN ID
    Axellink

How do you know this?

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

It's quite obvious! lol Just like BT..

It is infuriating, they had MGS4 clips at E3, why? It's out and old news, someone in charge at Sony is clearly a twat. Company knows nothing of PR...

Timezone
    GMT -7

Quote Originally Posted by Axel View Post
    How do you know this?
    Well, there have been a few hints even on this board for a start.

The fact that HD is apparently being developed with no regard whatsoever to the release schedules of other titles by Sony's 'partner' (ha!) 3rd party developers for a start. Or even apparently without regard to ANY release schedule.

Also, when developers come out with "we were nearly finished then there was a problem and we are still working on it and we don't know when we'll be finished" type stuff it doesn't inspire confidence.

Note: I'm a software developer and would love to work on projects with no deadlines and no commercial considerations. But there aren't any outside of Wipeout HD.

PSN ID
    Axellink

Ah right, I truly understand lol.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

Quote Originally Posted by chrominance View Post
    As I don't have a PSP, I didn't know about Pulse not getting DLC packs--wasn't that one of the things Pure got lauded for in the gaming press? Ooof.
    In Wipeout Pure, the download packs added several new and very entertaining tracks to an already great game, especially Anulpha Pass and Ubermall which will be in WOHD from launch.

You can still download DLC for Pulse, but only if:

1) You have a Euro/Australian PSN account
    2) You have a Euro/Australian credit card to purchase them.

DRM "protection" has essentially erased any chance of anyone sharing the packs with other gamers, too. So essentially, NA players have been royally (rhymes with tucked) over.

Timezone
    GMT -5

From the neogaf thread, someone actually went and asked SCEE what was up at E3. Summary: no set release date, we swear it's still coming out, no word on why they didn't bother to show it off.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

The link actually points to SixthAxis, but a great find. I think I can rest easier knowing that SCE has at least said something.
    Last edited by RJ O'Connell; 17th July 2008 at 05:58 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -7

Quote Originally Posted by chrominance View Post
    From the neogaf thread, someone actually went and asked SCEE what was up at E3. Summary: no set release date, we swear it's still coming out, no word on why they didn't bother to show it off.
    Yep. No-one at Sony talks to anyone else at Sony. Business as usual.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    dobyblue

Quote Originally Posted by Sumimasen View Post
    With regard to the HDTV discussion, I had a 27" Samsung 720p HD LCD, and recently upgraded to a 37" 1080p Samsung. The difference is VERY noticable, but more so on certain games. Burnout Paradise, Halo 3 and Naruto look STUNNING in 1080p. GT5P actually looks worse, as the graphical glitches are all the more obvious. Films on BD and HD-DVD also look WAY better.
    Imagine how good they'd look if they were native 1080p on the disc.
    Halo 3 isn't even HD, it's around 640 lines of resolution.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    dobyblue

Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk'n'Clue View Post
    I guess the point is that these guys who manage the areas of the companies that decide this sort of thing are privvy to all sorts of data that us, as peons, are not. So decisions that seem nonsensical to us will make some kid of sense to them. That's not to say that all business sense is good.
    That's exactly right.

Sony are close to setting up SCE as a separate entity then selling off 40% of the company. The company would be worth around $14 billion, so Sony would receive around $6 billion cash to input into the first party development business, which they absolutely rule. Their first party development team is bigger than MS and Nintendo's together. That's why Take Two are holding out - they know $2.8b is an easy decision for Sony. Watch for it. The format war took a lot out of Sony, this is the smartest way to move forward now.

3rd party exclusives are going the way of the dodo. Bioshock will be much better on the PS3, with exclusive downloadable content as well.

MS just have too much money lying around doing nothing, like unbelievable amounts of money. They paid $280,000,000 to Square-Enix to ensure that FFXIII would be held back on the PS3 in North America until the X360 version is completed.

The good news for Japan is that they're not even going to look at the X360 version for NA until the Japanese PS3 version is completed, which means it's developed for the PS3 from start to finish. The $280m payout will basically push back FFXIII for North America anywhere from 6 months to a year and it's not even slated for release yet!
    Last edited by dobyblue; 17th July 2008 at 07:37 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    dobyblue

If the Japs weren't so against the 360, the Microsoft and Nintendo would be way ahead. The PS3 is suffering.
    PS3 sells more than the X360 all across Europe too, so what's your reasoning there?

PS3 brings in around 700,000 month, X360 brings in around 500,000 month. That gap is only going to get bigger later this year when the PS3 hits $299.

PSN ID
    Axellink

Come on dude least me real, Microsoft has only been competing in Europe and America, and yet they still boast good numbers.

In Europe the tide maybe changing, but if the 360 bring the price drop over here again, then things may get interesting.

Timezone
    GMT -7

Quote Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    PS3 sells more than the X360 all across Europe too, so what's your reasoning there?

PS3 brings in around 700,000 month, X360 brings in around 500,000 month. That gap is only going to get bigger later this year when the PS3 hits $299.
    At that rate the PS3 will have caught up the difference in sales between the 360 and PS3 in a around two years.

Unfortunately, Sony said they won't be cutting the price of the PS3 because now they want to concentrate on trying to make a profit not on selling as many consoles as possible (they lose money every time they sell a PS3).

MS has announced a price cut on the 360 though.

So it looks like PS3 will be trailing in 3rd place for a long time to come.

Maybe the spike in sales caused by the release of Wipeout HD will increase the sales of...of...hahahaha. Sorry couldn't keep a straight face. Still looking forward to it though.

Timezone
    GMT -8

Angry

Come on dude least me real, Microsoft has only been competing in Europe and America, and yet they still boast good numbers.

In Europe the tide maybe changing, but if the 360 bring the price drop over here again, then things may get interesting.
    Enough with the fanboy talk in here. The 360 vs. PS3 argument is being held in plenty of other forums, we don't need any more flame bait in here, please!

I own both consoles, I enjoy both, and apparently there is enough of a market to sustain both. That being said, the 360 has one OBVIOUS drawback...a TOTAL and complete lack of support for Wipeout!

Seriously, lets keep discussion of which console is better to other forums, for those who couldn't read the title, THIS forum is to discuss the release date of Wipeout HD on the PS3. Clear?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

I agree with you Fiznu, though I don't think it's descended into a console fanboy flame-off. If it were, Rob or Lance would be there in a heartbeat to lock the thread and give all guilty parties a one-week time out.

offtopic thought: I'm still wondering, what if Curly Monsters went along with Quantum Redshift II as planned?

Quote Originally Posted by piper999 View Post
    Game development at Sony is a slow motion trainwreck.

No-one at Sony talks to anyone else at Sony. Its like they think they'll get fired or something. No-ones knows anything and no-one dares say anything anyway.
    Sorry but that is nonsense, certainly in regards Sony Liverpool

Well, there have been a few hints even on this board for a start.

The fact that HD is apparently being developed with no regard whatsoever to the release schedules of other titles by Sony's 'partner' (ha!) 3rd party developers for a start. Or even apparently without regard to ANY release schedule.

Also, when developers come out with "we were nearly finished then there was a problem and we are still working on it and we don't know when we'll be finished" type stuff it doesn't inspire confidence.

Note: I'm a software developer and would love to work on projects with no deadlines and no commercial considerations. But there aren't any outside of Wipeout HD.
    If you are a software developer then you will know that issues can come up in development that affect the schedule, even late in the day.

You will also know NDAs prevent the release of information to the public for obvious reasons so of course people are not going to give information out it would grossly unprofessional - it is hardly a case of not daring to say anything.

You can speculate all you like about development life within sony but the truth is you have no clue what is going on with the development of Wipeout HD

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

Thank you Colin. All I'm going to say is that whatever it is you or whoever in charge at SL have to work on, take your time.

Fixing buggy game > Releasing buggy game, 10 times out of 10.

I see a ban hammer in the horizon...

Timezone
    GMT -7

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Berry View Post
    Sorry but that is nonsense, certainly in regards Sony Liverpool

If you are a software developer then you will know that issues can come up in development that affect the schedule, even late in the day.

You will also know NDAs prevent the release of information to the public for obvious reasons so of course people are not going to give information out it would grossly unprofessional - it is hardly a case of not daring to say anything.

You can speculate all you like about development life within sony but the truth is you have no clue what is going on with the development of Wipeout HD
    I know the development is badly delayed and if I was working on it I wouldn't be fighting with my employer's customers on bulletin boards about it.

To each his own.

PSN ID
    Yasir_Said

I know the development is badly delayed and if I was working on it I wouldn't be fighting with my employer's customers on bulletin boards about it.

To each his own.
    Actually, i really appreciate the quick input from Colin Berry, as im sure a lot of other people do. He was quick to talk to us, the fans, even when it was a negative announcement. Comments like yours don't help but discourages developers from talking to us.