Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wipeout HD multiplayer

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    Sugar_from_OTW

Default Wipeout HD multiplayer

So what's the state of wipeout hd multiplayer these days. Last year, the infosheet was claiming that there was to be a team vs team mode, with 2 players per team. I haven't heard anything since.

I'd love to see some in game (or even web based) community features, like clan creation etc. The only mention of specific multiplayer modes on the HD website are speed lap, which sounds pretty cool, but what else is there?

We took the game through campaign, race box (single race), and online modes, the latter being devoid of any noticeable lag, even with competitors slamming into (or being obliterated around) us. We found that holding L1 opens the voice chat channel in online races, although we were sadly sans headsets.
    Voice chat confirmed!

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

HELL YES! Thank you Fiddlesworth for that find! Wipeout HD is completely a sell.

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Brilliant! Now when someone sticks a missile up my jacksie on the last corner, I can ACTUALLY tell you all what a shower of bastards you are

PSN ID
    rushinmonkey

couldnt decide if my question was worth a new thread, decided no in the end as its about multiplayer play

what is situation for hosts cancelling races? This is the one thing that stopped me playing GT5p online, people quitting after a lap because they werent winning and causing race to end for everyone

If for some reason you have to have this, can we have an option to turn it on or off please? I realise this depends a little on the network setup and as such may not be possible. but its a really bad "feature" in other games..

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    Sugar_from_OTW

Quote Originally Posted by rushin View Post
    what is situation for hosts cancelling races? This is the one thing that stopped me playing GT5p online, people quitting after a lap because they werent winning and causing race to end for everyone
    I was playing gt5p yesterday for the first time since I bought the game. It seems you can't just quit online games anymore.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfire View Post
    Brilliant! Now when someone sticks a missile up my jacksie on the last corner, I can ACTUALLY tell you all what a shower of bastards you are
    Sing it in the style of Bruce Dickinson and I'll crown you.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Does anybody know something about ad-hoc play in Wipeout HD? Is it possible for the PS3 to communicate with other PS3s without an internet connection?

Would be great to see more than 20 PS3s together at the E.W.C. 2009.

PSN ID
    ByteHawk

afaik ps3 doesn't do ad hoc
    sorry

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

You can play over LAN with routers and switches, but there is no adhoc.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfire View Post
    Lol. This will be great. I can hear the french curse. You would of heard alot of swearing online just a lil earlier then when i was rammed off in Platnium Rush.

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

I was waiting for this.... I'm sure that on Wipeout we'll be hearing some of the most un-acceptable language ever spoke in any game, as it is one of the most challenging games made... Oooh I hope you all don't hate me if I get off hand... hahaha like I'll be the only one...

And on to original topic, will 2 player team base be available?? I have a friend who I was hoping to play with!!!
    Last edited by Chill; 17th September 2008 at 03:58 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Amon69it

Quote Originally Posted by Chill View Post
    I was waiting for this.... I'm sure that on Wipeout we'll be hearing some of the most un-acceptable language ever spoke in any game, as it is one of the most challenging games made... Oooh I hope you all don't hate me if I get off hand... hahaha like I'll be the only one...
    I tend to prefer text messaging in games for that reason, with text things tend to be less personal

I wish that were true, but after years of watching a high volume of text communications as a former global mod and a current admin on another forum, and a globmod [ ] on this one, I'd have to say that things in text get every bit as personal and heated as you could ever desire [or not desire]. Even when text is not IM, but slower. I suspect that team participation might even add to the heat.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

In case of 2 players teams, do you know, mates, if it will be possible to select the person you're talking with using the headset ? If teammates wants to elaborate race/fight stratégies, it would be better that the adversary teams couldn't listen, no ?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Amon69it

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    I wish that were true, but after years of watching a high volume of text communications as a former global mod and a current admin on another forum, and a globmod [ ] on this one, I'd have to say that things in text get every bit as personal and heated as you could ever desire [or not desire]. Even when text is not IM, but slower. I suspect that team participation might even add to the heat.
    I think it's more a question of you as an individual cope with this things. I personally tend to be less "influenced" by written words than from live audio communication.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by leungbok View Post
    In case of 2 players teams, do you know, mates, if it will be possible to select the person you're talking with using the headset ? If teammates wants to elaborate race/fight stratégies, it would be better that the adversary teams couldn't listen, no ?
    I think that in this case a /ALL /TEAM switch would be of use yes.
    Last edited by Lance; 17th September 2008 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Two consecutive posts by same poster merged. Read the rules, please.

}enters analytical mode{

"~snip~ I personally tend to be less "influenced" by written words than from live audio communication."

Clearly there are many humans for whom this is nOt true.

Often in real live face-to-face confrontations, many people exert more self-control than they do online because the possibility of escalation to direct physical fighting makes them more careful, more diplomatic. But online, many allow their emotions free rein.

Live vocal communication is intermediate between text and face-to-face, and thus is likewise intermediate for most people in terms of self-control and civility.

PSN ID
    rushinmonkey

I really worry about people not being able to communicate without being offensive. especially in games.

I'm quite happy to be playing tekken at home with some friends and for insults/swearing to be flying because we are friends. But online i really hate it, totally puts me off using voice chat. Is it so hard to remain civil with people you dont know?

Case in point is everybodies golf, there is no voice comms, very strict text filter and only possible to post very short messages when playing tournaments. But still probably 50% of the people there insist on doing their best to get round filters just to swear and abuse everyone? why, why, why. maybe i am just getting old ;-)

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Amon69it

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    Live vocal communication is intermediate between text and face-to-face, and thus is likewise intermediate for most people in terms of self-control and civility.
    Interesting analysis, i think there is some truth in it

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Well you havn't tried Halo 3 online then - some of the stuff said there isn't even writeable