Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Wipeout HD pilot assist

Default Mod message.

A second thread was started on the same topic as ^Wipeout HD pilot assist^; this splits the discussion, may confuse the users, and causes extra work for the mods. Please do not do this again. I have merged the threads and left a two-day redirect.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

I've only used PA twice. The very first time I tried it on Phantom and it pissed me off so much I had to put it off after half a lap god it was so infuriating. Not only did it not let me cut real close to the wall but it also pushed me back out onto the track, but wait it pushed me too much apparently because then the other side kicked in too and my ship started fishtailing along like it was being piloted by a drunk.

Second was to get the trophy, man they really do give some of them away for jack ****.

What your going to get now is a new kind of player who learns all the tricks needed to fly with PA on instead of ever turning it off. Your giving these people more than a push back on track its saving them shield energy on top of that. Can you include and option for the hoster to get shot of it online please? You could put it in the same patch as the respawn off then the game would be almost perfect, apart from the fact you can also once again cut out sections of track by going over walls...
    Last edited by Rapier Racer; 6th October 2008 at 06:29 PM.

thanks for those examples. It looks like it is WAY too close to real racing. Very dissapointing here. I guess we did have reason to worry, hopefully this can be corrected at some point

PSN ID
    Axellink

Crap your PA time is better than my norm

Well I'm sure the guys at SL are looking into this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier Racer View Post
    ~snip~Not only did it not let me cut real close to the wall but it also pushed me back out onto the track, but wait it pushed me too much apparently because then the other side kicked in too and my ship started fishtailing along like it was being piloted by a drunk.~snip~
    Shortly after HD was released, there were a few people complaining about fishtailing handling; perhaps they had ^Pilot Assist^ switched on?

Yes Lance, it does that if you really cram into the wall and try to compensate.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Quote Originally Posted by Axel View Post
    Crap your PA time is better than my norm

Well I'm sure the guys at SL are looking into this.
    I beat in the normal way my PA test by half a second, but the difference is already too short. I hope too that SL read this and do something in the near future.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Interesting results leungbok. Maybe I was wrong saying all the PA users could not beat me, or someone else who is very good at Wipeout. Hmm I hope this gets fixed, if it is possible.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Yes Dark i hope that too ! It was weird to try to beat my time using the PA and also wanting to not succeed.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    drenath

I'm a complete novice when it comes to these tracks and I find the PA useful for the first few laps to learn the course without constantly being thrown from wall to wall like a pinball. I've never been able to get any golds with PA on though. Seriously I have probably ~8 hours of playtime with HD (though a lot of other WO experience) and I get better times without PA.

I think it's a great feature to prevent frustration for the complete newbie. I also agree with disabling the feature permanently on Phantom.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

got tested it on Sol2 last week : current non-PA laptime phantom : 19.45 .
    spent 10 laps PA-on and i did 21.24 : a 20 maybe done with that Pilot assist but in any way it can beat your original non-PA time if you are an experimented pilot.

PSN ID
    pildog

I would say that PA is worse than training wheels, mainly because it leads you into bad habits which become hard to break.

I had PA on for some time and now when I take it off I'm hitting every wall. I guess with some practice I'm reasonable now up to Flash speed, but Rapier...

PSN ID
    AdrenalineBurst

Default It's Happened :(

We knew it would, pilot assist *cough noobs* is being abused commonly now as a way to injure None Pa's by grinding them into the wall without a care in the world of getting injured in the process.

Timezone
    GMT + 10

agreed I think PA should be baned from online play

PSN ID
    AdrenalineBurst

Meh, although i'd be overjoyed if that happened they would lose to many players from what i've seen over 90% of players use it so wouldnt be to good then again they have the money lol? ,

I would be happy if they gave it a bigger penalty at the very least a 10% top speed decrease, as they have serious advantages on tracks like sebanco climb and chenghou project, i've managed to master sol 2 though dang those long turns with air breaks lol

-------------

o_O it was merged into this thread, i only put it as a seperate thread because i felt like it didnt link to well as it was more of a rant
    Last edited by Lance; 22nd October 2008 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Merged two consecutive posts by same user. Read the guidelines, please.

There are lOts of rants in this thread.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    drenath

After some more time in HD I really think that PA should be disabled in Rapier+, maybe even Flash+ races. Sure if you're a fantastic/seasoned pilot, you can cruise past the PA pilots, but the rest of us who aren't elite and prefer not to PA can still get stomped by newbie PA pilots. Its pretty disheartening.

Especially on some of the twisty tracks. I'm nowhere near my initial PA runs on Sebenco and I've run that course 50+ times. PA makes it a breeze to hit speed pads and BR without crash risk. I'm going to need 500 laps on this course to beat my PA times

Maybe I just really suck?

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Heres some more.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrenalineBurst View Post
    they have serious advantages on tracks like sebanco climb and chenghou project
    Well I find thats not in fact the case the only track where pilot assist users didn't fall more than 4 seconds behind me tonight was Anulpha Pass. Now I happen to love this track and it pisses me off greatly that it IS now the joke track of the game what with it being the choice track for these assholes.

I raced tonight filtering out the games so only Phantom showed, I have to say I'm actually shocked at the lack of good players and the skill gap between people from here and then everyone else. Occasionally you'll encounter a random person thats very good, but not tonight.

Every Tournament/Single race I entered at Phantom had at least 5 players and all appeared to be using PA, one tour I entered had 6 players and 12 races, they all dropped out after 2 probably because of the 13 second gap between me and them, quite annoying.

I'm still waiting for the interesting explanation as to why the host cannot disable this bug in the lobby.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rubix42

I got a message saying that the person I beat by 10 seconds couldn't understand how I was so fast and already had platinum. I told him to turn off the PA. All he said in return is "how did you know"

Whatever, it's hard for a PA pilot to defeat a non-PA pilot who knows what they are doing. If it means we get more Wipeout games to play in the future, I may disagree with it, but as long as I can turn it off, I'll grin through the pain.

Plus, it's really funny to watch them fishtail the entire length of the skill cut on Anulpha Pass. Makes me chuckle everytime I see it

Timezone
    GMT + 10

hahaha yeah Rubix42 that is funnie to see I think the next patch should give the online option to the host to turn off PA this will keep us loyal fans happy

"Imagin the gasp the PA'er will have when they see "your PA has been disabled at the request of the HOST" Plastered across the screen