Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Wipeout HD pilot assist

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

I just made a test's online with El-habib. Phantom no weapons tournament with 6 tracks (3 easy ones : moa therma etc. & 3 tortuous ones : sol2 reverse, chengou ...). I used pilot assist (for once, i swear )and El without PA. On the easy ones, i was 3/5 seconds behind, but on the difficult sol2 reverse (i must precise i don't know this track and i hit lot of walls) i was just 1/2 seconds behind El with 2 or 3 perfect laps.
    On these kind of track it's a huge help, i think.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

True, PA helps a lot on twisty tracks.
    @lunar: I agree with your post. the elite must not be worried about PA, but the aspiring advanced player without PA might have a considerable disadvantage against a noob with PA. The easy solution to this problem would be, like was said, to penalize PA use constantly with a 5% speed loss.

@bakkufu: you know you can now cut off the Autopilot anytime by pressing absorb, right?

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    @bakkufu: you know you can now cut off the Autopilot anytime by pressing absorb, right?
    yes, but given the daftness of the autopilot in past Wipeouts, I'd rather get a full absorb out of them rather than use them lol

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    . the elite must not be worried about PA, but the aspiring advanced player without PA might have a considerable disadvantage against a noob with PA.
    So, only one solution, make part of the elite

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

@ bakkufu HDs auto pilot is actually quite good, yes it's like the old days where it magically seems to be able to fly the ship faster than the player even while missing speed pads it can catch and pass other Elite difficulty AI ships.

More on the topic. I did not realize PA worked this way in that a player can turn it on once they join an online game. This should be controlled by the host, I might have overreacted on a few things in the past but this really is just nonsense, end of story.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Miths000

I had sworn I wouldn't use pilot assist, but it just saved my behind and got me a bronze medal in a rapier time trial on Sol 2 (I was a staggering four seconds short without PA, after several attempts). Even on lower speed classes I spend most of my time slamming into or scraping against walls on that damn track - even with the most maneuovrable craft.
    I'm finally starting to get the hang of Chenghou Project (still making contact with the wall on that first sharp corner more often than not though), so now Sol 2 is really the only track I hate . Well, that and to some extent Sebenco Climb in races, as the AI - even on novice - seems to handle that track unusually well. I actually have an easier time on Sol 2 when I'm up against them - despite all the wall scraping and slamming .

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

You're going to love Sol 2 Reverse then

/sarcasm.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

I agree Rapier, i think it's worst than respawn. There's a huge number of phantom games in which, players using PA, chooses the most technical tracks (for example, sebenco reverse) just for "pêter plus haut que son cul", french expression which means approximatively "to fart at a higher level than his butt". To chose for playing online a class and a track that someone's don't master really, , let see an unfair and twisted behavior. I won a race hosted by a PA user, in phantom on sebenco that the name was "Elite-killer07" (a joke, not sure !) I'm persuaded that most of zoners will have no problem to win against those guys, but for fair and talented newcomers in HD, it can be very frustrating. There was disagreements here about "jay's mod" and "barrel rolls", but both were about skilled pilots points of view, with PA the discuss is about unskilled ones. I love this game, and i understand the politics of enlarging the players mass. I like that a lot of people plays wipeout, but to give immédiatly access to the usualy long time training's category, can killed the interest in the game for a lot of new players. Where's the proud feeling we feel when we finally manage all the difficulties in the game ? Another french sentence : "Ã* vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire" - "a win without danger is a win without glory". PA must be very penalised (no points & rewards for example) and need the option of disable it online.
    I hope my awfull english haven't morphed my message

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Is this a joke?

"just got that 99 lap speed run trophy. i wasn't willing to actually sit down and play through it so i taped the X button down, played on phantom difficulty, and put on pilot assist and walked away for 30 minutes; worked like a charm."

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...postcount=2112

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

Ha!
    Knew it would happen!
    With PA you can drop the controller and walk away...

A shield energy penalty might be nice on PA (it turns you away, but costs some speed and shield) but then on TT races you've got infinite shield so that wouldn't fix it.

Nah, good hack to get a cheap trophy without effort. Anyone who enjoys something earned without effort likely deserves what they get. 8 D

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Sadly this is true, I tried it out for some laps on Venom and it works perfectly well, albeit some falls sometimes. I don't know if it works on Phantom. However I assure you that if you do just that (Tape the X button and leave pilot assist on) you won't be doing record times anytime soon.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

99 Laps is 99 Laps, I don't see that tape trick as a problem - though it is a slightly less ethical way to earn that trophy.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I got my lapped out trophy trying to beat Zico's time, and 99 laps weren't even enough

Lenugbok: I fully agree with your post. Pilot Assist shouldn't be allowed for online, IMHO. Do the training first, THEN get online. Noobs pretending to race on Phantom with PA is just ridiculous, even more so when they actually win against rather skilled players who don't use PA.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Agreed.
    So hopefully we'll see that with further patches. Along with the Disable Option for BR.

Btw: Wouldn't it be nice to have small indicator in the online selection whether BRs / PA / Headsets are active in the race?

Timezone
    GMT + 8

Quote Originally Posted by captain howdy View Post
    i don't see why there simply isn't an option for the host to turn off pilot assist for all participating users. and then out in the lobby, they could have a filter option for rooms that do allow it and those that don't. that way, people who support or oppose the idea of other racers using it could each have their own space to play.
    this sounds like common sense

PSN ID
    AdrenalineBurst

Default >.<

I think the number of Pilot assist players is just filth,

I always seem to be the only person who plays without it and when i get cusses for crashing and i reply ' you use PA' its like WW3... If your gonna be honorable about a game at least PLAY IT HOW ITS MEANT TO BE PLAYED.

I cannot stress enough how GB (Game-breaking) this is that on tracks such as as somin climb (lol) There are 2 corners which are incredibly hard to take on phantom yet on noob assist they just gracefully go around the corner without a care in the world, hell if someone with PA is in first you have no chance of getting them as they cant crash unless they pilot like a retard.

A solution would be if you use PA at all in a race you cannot be ranked or anything in that race count towards a trophy, that would sure deter the noobs

Just my 2cents

Proud pilot of the Piranha without PA!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

I agree, pilotassisted noobs are numerous online. They generally chooses phantom races on the most technical tracks (sol2 reverse for ex.). When i first played online i was very frustrated to be beaten by those kids on tracks i didn't knew well. After that, when i learned the tracks, i had fun in beating them, by 10s or more, because the speed without PA is really higher if you don't hit the walls. But now, it becomes boring to meet a lot of these online, because there's no compétition. Hey Sl, a good feature were to disable the using of PA in phantom class. It's a good thing that newcomers have the possibility to learn the game more easily, but it's a sort of introduction, no ? It don't need to be usefull beyond rapier. I always read on wipeout's booklets that phantom's speed was the experts class. Can we call a pilotassisted guy an expert ? (except if he beats a time trial world's record using PA, of course)

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

that is probably the best suggestion I have seen for pilot assist.
    disable it across the board in phantom. love it

PSN ID
    love9sick

My attempt to play with the Pilot assist on was bad. I achieved far better times with it off. I think it is a feature to get people slightly used to the controls and learn how to keeping the ship straight.

PSN ID
    Axellink

That is a very good idea, to block it from even Rapier and above. Too many PA users having a easy time on Senbenco. God I hate that track lol.