PSN ID
    eLhabib

cuz I don't have anything!
    my PS3 sits there waiting for thursday!

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    cybrpnk

kinda know the feeling...although, I have games like Oblivion to finish...I refuse to touch the PS3 until thursday too...

I've never been this excited since I heard that Rage Against The Machine was coming to Sydney and got to see them on both accounts here...*starts twitching*

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    rocketclowns

Although I think that Pilot Assist is probably a fantastic feature for the uninitiated pilots, I also think that, if you would rely on it too much as a new pilot, it's going to take a lot longer for you to become a 'real' AG-pilot.

If Pilot Assist existed 10+ years ago when I had my first WipEout experience, I'd probably have switched it on.

But I am thankful I learned the hard way, and bit through all the beginners' frustration in 2097, and then suddenly got onto a level of true WipEout BLISS when I eventually 'got it'.

In a Qirex, even

What does everyone think of Pilot Assist online now that the game is out?

I think it`s ultimately faster with it switched off. But a guy using pilot assist can beat a better player not using it, if he gets the right weapons. On Chenghou, for example, I think you can use it to blast the first hairpin and get clear, then you just need a bomb or two and you`re away. I presume you can`t lose energy except through weapon hits with pilot assist - another advantage. I`ve only used it once, to get the trophy, but you see people using it online. My kids use it and that`s great for them as they couldn`t play otherwise, but online I`ve seen some careless players just PA-ping-ponging their way around the track and beating braver players, of equal ability, who don`t like to use it. I think it should be disabled globally for online play, or it should be an option that has to be enabled by the host, with default to off, and a clear indicator that it is a pilot assist enabled/disabled race or tournament.
    Last edited by lunar; 28th September 2008 at 02:07 PM.

PSN ID
    sakerbax

bleh with pilot assist you move away from the edges preventing sharper curves and a decent racing line. in my opinion if you lose to a guy with pilot assist on you have two options, use it or keep playing because after some time you'll improve and the pilot assist guy will still suck

"you" isn't meant for you ofc =)

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I've played some people online who opened a lobby with a phantom tourney on all 8 tracks (forward), I thought hey, let's see if they can handle it On relatively straight tracks I gained about 8 seconds per lap on them, lapping them on lap 4 usually, so, yeah, they clearly couldn't handle it. Then, when we came to Chenghou, all of a sudden they really kept up with me pretty well, which is due to the fact that I can't navigate the tricky courses like Chenghou and Sebenco that well yet, which means that due to using PA, those guys caught up to me everytime I crashed into a hard turn. So PA certainly DOES help the inexperienced, but if you are really good on a track at any given speed, you will be a lot slower with PA on because it doesn't let you cut as close to the wall as you'd like.

What I don't understand, though, is what fun they get out of playing Chenghou Phantom with PA on - it's not like they are even close to flying themselves, y'know?

I understood you and even if you did mean me you would still have a point.

I`m certainly not ever going to use it online - as there`s no point to the game if you do, imo. I don`t think I`ve lost to PA, but I had a race on Vineta K where the leader was using it and it was a hell of a job to catch him as I use Qirex so don`t accelerate quickly, got shot up and caught in the pack at the start, and struggled to get clear again because of weapons, while the PA guy was away and flying like he was pissed but keeping pace almost enough to win. I`m not asking anyone to cry for me, but I don`t think races should be decided like this. I agree with those who say that online shouldn`t be elitist, but there should be standards.... and people shouldn`t win unless they have earned it.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Honestly, I don't worry about it at all. 99% of the people playing online are no competition, with or without PA, and the 1% that's good is most likely on wo'zone, and will be playing HD online in the long run - and they don't use PA, never would.

Btw I don't mean to sound cocky here, it's just that most people online who are playing Rapier or Phantom (= races I might enter) haven't even bothered to try and learn the game at Venom...

PSN ID
    JamboGT

Thats a very good point, I always thought I kinda sucked at WipEout despite my love for it, but I have lost about 2 races online! If I come up against any of you guys it will be handed to me but until then i can feel good!

Not using pilot assist btw
    Last edited by Jambo; 28th September 2008 at 03:16 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

I have just done some experiments offline, with PA on, because i had the same adventure than you, El, with guys choosing phantom class. I choose chengou reverse that i only raced 2 times online in fast lap mode (despite i don't know the track, my best time after 4/5 laps is 26.29). Some of you mates, who started to know this track, will be able to judge if the help is significant.

Timezone
    GMT -5

I'm totally new to Wipeout (HD is the first game I've ever played in the series) and one of the first things I did after downloading it was turn off pilot assist. It just seemed unnecessary to me. I still crash into walls all the time, but I've won tons of online races in Rapier class.

I think it's just a matter of learning the tracks.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Quite a few neogaff'ers irritated with the Pilot Assist, which they think is a clear advantage to average-ability players.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...335458&page=43

I haven't had much time to play WOHD at all yet (with or without Pilot Assist). But from what I have seen so far, my feeling is that (1) it's a great addition to the game; but (2) there should be a larger penalty for its use. It doesn't seem unreasonable to me to have an automatic 3-5% speed reduction associated with PA (even when it's not pushing you away from a side wall).

I agree with you, Frances, and with eL. It`s true that the top 1% need not be troubled by PA because they will be faster without it and beat PA users without it (unless we have some nasty surprises about what PA can do on the technical courses). However, a lot of keen players will never be in that top 1%, do make mistakes, and maybe they feel they are getting beaten undeservedly by PA users. It would be ironic if in an attempt to make wipeout less elitist, only the elite could overcome the mechanism put in place to make it less elitist. Or would that be a paradox? *Dictionary time*

Say a new online FPS came out, with an auto-targeting system that enabled inexperienced players to lock on to nearby enemies at 75% of the speed of a top player, without having to do anything. This wouldn`t worry the top players, and might enable people like me who utterly suck at FPS games to have a go online, but for those who weren`t so good, but who still wanted to play the game "properly" and play the game using their own skills it would be unfair.
    Last edited by lunar; 28th September 2008 at 04:19 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I forgot to turn off PA (Was getting the trophy) for an online Phantom race on Moa Therma. Needless to say, I lost because I had to turn it off. Next race I owned them all. Pilot Assist doesn't help me, and doesn't help them either (Well it does, but they never win because of it).

Timezone
    GMT -5

i don't see why there simply isn't an option for the host to turn off pilot assist for all participating users. and then out in the lobby, they could have a filter option for rooms that do allow it and those that don't. that way, people who support or oppose the idea of other racers using it could each have their own space to play.

PSN ID
    emwu23

Lunar:"....Say a new online FPS came out, with an auto-targeting system that enabled inexperienced players to lock on to nearby enemies at 75% of the speed of a top player, without having to do anything...."

Yeah and new tekken where you would have an auto-combo system....

Timezone
    GMT -5

Tekken already has an auto-combo system. It's called "button-mashing".

(:

@Lunar: an ironic paradox?

When I first installed HD, I was asked about turning on PA, now with the exception of the trophy, I won't be using PA myself for two reasons.

Reason 1: PA doesn't allow me to make daring manouvers in races such as BR boosting the last straight of Moa Therma and the like, if I screw up, its my fault and thats the risk I run for racing the way I do.

Reason 2: I have always found the autopilot tends to disengage in harsh corners, not drive through packs of mines and bombs or even try and ram opponents in a tight pack. If its the same AI system then methinks I'll be turning that particular feature off lol