Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wipeout HD pilot assist

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    cybrpnk

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    I strongly disagree with the voices saying Pilot Assist is unnecessary. IMHO it is perfect for players who are new to the game. Why? Well, the true bliss of wipEout only comes out at higher speeds, and for a total beginner even Flash is blazingly fast, so he will be crashing all the time, not really picking up speed, and therefore fun. I just hope it won't be abuseable.
    Well...wasn't saying it was unnecessary...just that if it was for newcomers...then let it be only a option for newcomers to learn the ropes...not carry it over into things like time trials and speed laps...

Aw well...can't really say much until we do download the game...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    I strongly disagree with the voices saying Pilot Assist is unnecessary. IMHO it is perfect for players who are new to the game.
    If only it were available in Wipeout XL. I started playing it seriously a few days ago and my noobishness in it is probably unparalleled at this point. I slam into walls on the most gentle curves, it's hilarious.

But going along with the tradeoffs, I can't fathom any sort of exploit it might expose us to considering the drop in speed it gives when it runs outside the guided line, but I do see it increasing the reach of the game, which is a downright difficult thing to wrap one's head around if a person has never before flown a vechicle with all the responsiveness of mush.

- F

"...with all the responsiveness of mush."

Been racing with Qirex, have we?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

No man, Ag-systems for now. Can you imagine? Not much shield on the thing, but one must be loyal to their teamsake.

- F

AG-S is actually pretty manoeuverable compared to Qirex and Auricom, so be warned about brickness.

um... I appear to be straying from the topic. [puts Qirex in reverse]

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Too late, you're already fifty meters close to the wall and there's nothing you can do in a Qirex to prevent the crash.

Joking aside: I believe the only way to know how PA works is when we get the game. Personally I believe it won't be exploitable but I share the concerns of those who think it might be if it is allowed everywhere and not only in single player.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    cybrpnk

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    AG-S is actually pretty manoeuverable compared to Qirex and Auricom, so be warned about brickness.

um... I appear to be straying from the topic. [puts Qirex in reverse]
    Main reason why AG-5Y5 is my speed demon of choice...high manouverability....stuff the low shield...just crank round the track, keep hitting absorb and pray you don't get taken out by 3 rockets at once...

But then I digress too...

Lance, the mod, erratically assisting pilots to get back on track since 2001.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

Going back to what Rapier Racer said he thought he read...
    I thought I read that too!

Unfortunately I don't remember who posted what I thought I read.

I do not think Pilot assist should be allowed in any uploaded times or of course during online racing - if it's for beginners, than it should be turned off once they're done in "practice mode".

Of course opinions are a dime a dozen, and gas is expensive these days...

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

IIRC, Colin stated Pilot Assist users wouldn't be able to touch the top level of times. So personally, I would NOT have a problem with it being used online by novice players. It can help them contend when they're just starting out, eventually players will have to switch it off in order to get results. Just like, say, Forza 2.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdrium777 View Post
    it might be if it is allowed everywhere and not only in single player.
    I just realized something... It can't be available in all other modes!
    I mean, just imagine if PA was usable in Zone mode. You could set it up and put the controller down and walk away! 8 D

So all that's left to find out is how many modes it's allowed in, we know it can't be all of them!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

True that.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Quote Originally Posted by Task View Post
    I mean, just imagine if PA was usable in Zone mode. You could set it up and put the controller down and walk away! 8 D
    I loled a lot on this comparing to Al's infinite autopilote mode for W3O ( SE?)
    Seems you getting better and better Jay ( health, jokes and wipeout )

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

You can see the Pilot Assist in action here (and of course a nice explosion).

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    BARTgai

pretty sweet explosion there I loved when it said "You have earned a trophy. Happy Accident?"

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

In fact this terrible pilot earned two trophies. Hoping the next 36 are more difficult.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

He looked competent with Pilot Assist on, WipEout is inherently a tough game. The "Happy Accident?" trophy is for doing one barrel roll.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Well theres always the Zone 75 trophy, even with Moa Therma the noobs/casuals might still struggle.

As long as the game has the usual, well whats seen by everyone else as ridiculously hard speed and AI settings I'm not too worried about how easy the trophies are to earn. There are always going to be lots of easy trophies just like there are easy as pie 360 achievements, you have to keep the average gamer happy too.

**holds back on casual gamer insults even though it is very hard***

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Wip3ou7pure

I still don't agree with Pilot Assist... I mean, isn't this why we have multiple speed classes in WipEout? You start slow and work your way up. The game is far too easy in the beginning to warrant the need for a pilot assist.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

oh believe me, there are people who are desperately in need of pilot assist, even on venom speeds. I know some, and no, not my granny and the cleaning lady, but people who are pretty firm in other racing games!