Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Wipeout HD pilot assist

I think that all the wannabe presidential candidates of the past couple of years are in reality pseudoclones of alien-abducted citizens who were sent down to replace the originals as psychosocial experiments in a decades-long study of humans.

------

I reallyreally hope that the Pilot Assist cannot at all at all be used to gain speed.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Wip3ou7pure

Well if you suck and then using it would be helping you gain speed right?

PSN ID
    Axellink

Well the good thing about this game being on the PSN network is that patches can be forced onto the client to update the game. Besides, you will need to have a upto date version of the game if you want to upload your time on the world rankings remember.

But yeah I was hoping for a greater decrease in speed, 10% would have been better IMO. But it will be interesting to see if anybody finds a exploit.

PSN ID
    chboing

one solution would be : "have fun offline with all the exploit and great laps you can do with pilot assist, but be aware none of those will be usable outside the offline mode"

hence, no pilot assist in the top ranking, no pilot assist in online races (or switchable), no pilot assist in TT at all.
    The only thing you can do if you're a god of pilot assist, is take your video recorder and youtube

PSN ID
    Axellink

Or have PA next to our TT scores on the record sheets to show that you used PA to acheive your times

I was thinking the exact same thing as El habib about the sharp turns. I have a really bad feeling that this is going to be the case, making it essentially fusion (wall riding = faster). I hope not though. I think this feature is completely unnessesary. The slowest speed is so slow, that getting used to it is not that bad. If it ends up making the race slower by a decent amount, then I don't care though. If the race is slower by 2 seconds compared to a perfect race, then it completely sucks, and the testing of the feature was not performed properly. Lets wait and see, but I hope that the programmers of this feature are reading this thread.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

I hope the programmers of Pilot Assist traveled into their future, which is our present, then read this thread, then traveled back to their past to change Wipeout HD so it is perfect for our future

What seems non-intuitive to me is that the slowdown is only 5% (if indeed that is what it is-- the interview in question said it was "about 5%" if I recall correctly). That seems like a pretty modest penalty-- though of course I haven't played the game, maybe it is right on.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    cybrpnk

I'm pretty sure pilot assist was implemented more as a training tool for newcomers to get a feel for the layout of the track...I highly doubt pilot assist will be made available in time trials and speed laps...

As much as it may seem like pilot assist will help one achieve faster times, I reckon you would achieve even better times without it...each pilot has their own flying style and as mentioned before in another post, there is never really one definitive racing line in WipEout...

coupled with the fact the each team's craft behaves differently which will then affect the different flying styles...I don't see how pilot assist can help in understanding the little, more finer nuances to piloting...like pitch control etc...and achieving times better than a super proficient pilot that knows the finer skills like pitch control, side shifting...and *shock horror blasphemy!!!* barrel rolls...

Anyway...I don't know what I'm rambling on about...all i know is...I'm turning this one off as soon as I get my hands on HD...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I strongly disagree with the voices saying Pilot Assist is unnecessary. IMHO it is perfect for players who are new to the game. Why? Well, the true bliss of wipEout only comes out at higher speeds, and for a total beginner even Flash is blazingly fast, so he will be crashing all the time, not really picking up speed, and therefore fun. I just hope it won't be abuseable.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ZenDJiNN

I agree, Pilot Assist is something that's long overdue. I'm pretty good at Flash but when i have a go at Rapier or Phantom, it's really hard NOT to hit the walls etc.

I'm really looking forward to trying it out (once i get a PS3 of course).