Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How will Sony attract/gain new buyers interested in HD?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

You should also factor in that the last wipeout release that was playable on a TV set was almost 10 years ago,so you have a whole heap of players that basically only know the PSP versions and because of no playable demo being available don't realize how huge a change it is.
    I think you also have to factor in that some people just see HD as a remake of Pulse,so they haven't bothered.
    Plus they might think they are going to get stiffed in the added content dept [Pulse in N.America]
    I don't think sales in Japan have been very good if the Japanese online presence is a way to gauge sales there.

But I think the biggest blow to possible sales was releasing HD as it was with no campaign difficulty level adjustment prior to the patch.
    People just found it too hard,and that fact got spread by word of mouth.
    I remember the download night,must of been 30 or so people at the Australian PS forum all getting it at the same time,out of those I've seen 2 playing WOHD in the last 2 months,most gave up after 3 weeks.
    I wonder how many people have WOHD installed and have given up prior to the patch because it was too hard and don't realize that the patch exists.
    I don't remember seeing anything [news] reporting the patch officially on any Sony site,and a lot of people do not visit gaming forums,you just have to see the amount of new posters at the HOME site to see that.

Hopefully some DLC will spice things up a bit,plus the Xmas WOHD promo/temp price drop and playable demo.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

That's a good point BW. There's probably a lot of players that gave up and didn't even apply the patch. I think if SL does release DLC it should play up the fact that there's difficulty setting built in now.

PSN ID
    kgb1971

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    Actually, that's exactly how I got to the estimated number of 230,000. Last time I checked (which was about a month ago), the record tables for a Single Race on Vineta K Venom held around 220,000 entries. Just check it out right now if you wanna see the current numbers. Of course, that doesn't necessarily represent the exact number of 'units' sold, as people could potentially create multiple accounts on one PS3 and play with several of them, creating records. Still, I think it's safe to assume that wipEout HD has sold somewhere around 200,000, which is already good for a downloadable game, but nowhere near great. SSFIIHDR sold 250,000 in the first two weeks, wipEout HD has been out for almost 2 months now...

Well that's great eLhabib, if I'm wrong, brilliant. Because as i said i hadn't looked at that specific table but it had said a lot less than that in other tables that i had looked at. That figure is a lot more respectable and hopefully good news regarding DLC in Europe anyway.

I saw this linked to from Kotaku. Looks like it's generated off of #downloads, but it doesn't state that explicitly. I have no clue why Wipeout gets no love, it's ridiculously cheap for its quality.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Nearly every game on that list is far cheaper than WOHD.

I think that list says more about what people are willing to spend on what they probably consider to be the first generation of "Vapourware Games".

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Ouch. That seriously hurts

But all of those games have been available for a lot longer than HD and have had more time to sell. I don`t think it necessarily indicates HD has done badly.

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Tomeru

We should also factor people who shared the game. There must be many people like this, since sharing is quite successful on the PSN.

All in all, I think WOHD is quite a hit, considering it's status.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Keep in mind that there's a demo coming, with a price drop... Does it mean that HD has done well, and they now can reduce the price? Or not...
    Hmmm...

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Can anyone from SL or Sony say here that they are satisfied with there product sales and set targets? Because im interested if/when/possible that the additional content download packs would/will be released.

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Tomeru

The demo is out on the euro psn. Anyone knows what is uncluded?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

so...a xmas without dlc...

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Maybe in the new year....

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

Extra content at christmas would have been agonizing. HD itself took half an hour. Then there was that irritating "unlock key" I also had to pick up, then the 1.20 patch.

I just want to play the game sometimes, ya know? Give me time before dumping a whole mess of extra goodies.
    Last edited by RJ O'Connell; 26th December 2008 at 12:47 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

if only we could know something about...

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Quote Originally Posted by RJ O'Connell View Post
    HD itself took half an hour.
    Is that the Download file for the game? Mine took just under half a ****ing day! Even more agonising was watching everyone else who DL the game already playing it and i could see it on the XMB friends list.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

Agonising is being overseas and only having youtube videos of people playing the game

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

That right you where in North America at the time Wipeout HD was released.

Timezone
    GMT + 11
    PSN ID
    djKyoto

Saw it on the AU store today for only $23.95. (Was $27.95).

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Seems a few that have had downloaded WOHD have started playing it again.

LBP does not seem to have the ever ending attention that SONY wished it would have.

People want to RACE....