Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How will Sony attract/gain new buyers interested in HD?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

... and then they'll find out they'd have to buy a 400€ console to play it, and they forget it again. Sorry, but the main target group for Sony with HD is the people who already have a PS3, and are online with it. You have to realize that - apart from a small, crazy bunch of people (including myself) - this game alone is no reason for anyone to buy an expensive console.

PSN ID
    flashbax1

Maybe i was looking at it with rose tinted glasses, my idea of a perfect world...

Well, I'm not sure much advertising is needed to be fair - all they need to do is give release copies to all the gaming websites ahead of time, and they will do the rest.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Ryuuku

That's where it might hurt imo : several websites have already done previews on this game, relayed release dates that were false, rumours about why it got delayed and so on. All this while Sony's "communication" () around this game was and still is a hell of a mess ... We are lucky to have Colin here !

Gaming websites are important of course, but will they still be eager to do some extensive coverage when the game will FINALLY be available ? I really hope they do !
    Last edited by Lance; 5th September 2008 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Redundant quote removed. Read the guidelines, please.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

Every time the game is mentioned outside WipeoutZone on the interwebs there's been about a 99% positive average response. IGN, NeoGAF, even the troll-laden 4th channel - the only widespread complaint seems to be "when is it FINALLY coming out???".

Wipeout HD has the potential to sell itself, with the insane graphics power and online play that may actually work like clockwork.

I'm really excited.

(maybe I shouldn't jinx it by declaring super excitement. I did that with Fusion and Pulse. That went well, eh? :- )

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    ... and then they'll find out they'd have to buy a 400? console to play it, and they forget it again. Sorry, but the main target group for Sony with HD is the people who already have a PS3, and are online with it. You have to realize that - apart from a small, crazy bunch of people (including myself) - this game alone is no reason for anyone to buy an expensive console.
    Wip3ou7 did say to me on the PSN that he saw a poster in Home.

PSN ID
    flashbax1

Lets just put some faith in the big SCEE, please let this happen in the next coming 3 weeks, Us europeans need some winter warmers and this has gotta be the hottest, after just having a good 2 hrs stint on warhawk and buying all the new content...witch could have been WOHD D/L content..please hurry..

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    nrXic

Well, for the hardcore gamer and hardcore racing fan, this is pretty much up there on everyone's "to buy" list. From that perspective, it doesn't need a whole lot of advertising.

But I think this game could be a system seller, a game that can move consoles, a "killer app" to those who don't yet have a PS3. So I think it's in Sony's best interests to advertise the game heavily to the common customer.

As mentioned, magazine ads, forum ads, website ads, Sony probably has that all covered. But I think a TV spot would do wonders as well.

XBLA and PSN have been the neglected stepchildren of both MS and Sony. They've had some excellent games come out on both and yet there has been little advertising for them. I think Sony can change that with a focus on WO:HD.

Now, I have considered that they have released a game like Siren, and it didn't get a TV spot...so I'm not getting my hopes up.

But I think that WO:HD is so unique and has such widespread appeal that if there is any PSN game to advertise, it's this one.

Another thing to keep in mind is that PSN/XBLA game development budgets are quite low, and one reason is because not a lot is spend on advertising. These games can sell a "measely" 50K copies and still be profitable. Of course, Siren, Warhawk, and Wipeout cost more than the typical digital download title, but I wouldn't be surprised if Wipeout HD (as it is an upgraded port) didn't cost a whole lot to make. That a racer like F1:CE cost way more to make for Liverpool.

WipeOut:HD, unlike many retail titles, will be available on PSN from now till PS4...meaning that steady sales over 5 years are a possibility. Anyone who buys a PS3 in 2012, may not see games like Motorstorm 2 on retail shelves, but will definitely see WO:HD on PSN. It's the benefit of being a digital download title. So perhaps Sony is looking at a steady form of advertising. Say that Sony drops the price of the PS3 to $199 in 2010, and you have millions buying it that year...they can boost advertising for that game at that period.

Anyways, I've typed a lot and covered so many different subjects, I should narrow it down a bit nextime.

-addendum-
    Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    ... and then they'll find out they'd have to buy a 400€ console to play it, and they forget it again. Sorry, but the main target group for Sony with HD is the people who already have a PS3, and are online with it. You have to realize that - apart from a small, crazy bunch of people (including myself) - this game alone is no reason for anyone to buy an expensive console.
    You could be right...but I look at it from the perspective that there are many waiting to buy a PS3 once their favorite games are on it. A lot of people waited to get a PS3 until MGS4 came out, and if you look at the boost in PS3 sales in Japan, it was pretty clear that people were waiting. Now, does Wipeout have the same draw as MGS4? Probably not...but I'm sure there are a lot of PSP owners who are new Wipeout fans that, once they see WO:HD in action, will probably save up for a PS3 that second.
    Last edited by nrXic; 5th September 2008 at 09:55 PM.

You pretty much just need to watch a clip of WO in full HD to convince you to buy it if you were wavering even slightly. I know a lot of folk who just hate the game as well though.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I don't understand how you can hate a game. You have the right not to play it because it's not your genre (Or for any reason), but hate it enough to just be outright aggressive toward any fan? Sorry but you lost me there... Especially when the game concerned is WipEout HD, which is I believe a very simple concept (But an awesome one still). Maybe it's because I'm on the wrong side of the fence...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdrium777 View Post
    I don't understand how you can hate a game.
    Oh, no problem, that's easy! Just imagine all the "good" games that could've been made if all the ones you'll never play hadn't been made! 8 D
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkdrium777 View Post
    but hate it enough to just be outright aggressive toward any fan?
    Woah! Where'd you get that from? I read his post three times and didn't see that part!
    ---
    Anyway, back on topic, since it's internet release, I'd expect to see web advertising if anything at all. Advertising like this would probably show up at most a day or two before release and go on for a week or two.
    I think the best thing would be a Penny Arcade banner, likely with the filesize (534 Mb download!) in the picture since everyone seems to think that's the most important thing to know about it. 8 P

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Quote Originally Posted by Task View Post
    Woah! Where'd you get that from? I read his post three times and didn't see that part!
    Well it's easy just go to some popular fan sites or on Youtube and you will eventually catch comments of people hating on others because of games. :/ I didn't say he talked about it but it does happen, I was just expanding his point and talking about what I saw.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

I still havent seen any advetisments of Wipeout HD in any of the GAME and the Electronic Boutique stores around here.

Maybe a few months after the release of this game, a PS3 bundle should come out including 2 Dualshock controllers and Wipeout HD already installed onto the PS3 hard drive (depending on how big the success of Wipeout HD is).

On another note ive just releasied that the 80GB PS3 console has hit the Australian market.

PSN ID
    ByteHawk

a demo would do wonders as well.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

They could use an ad like this (shameless plug):
    http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=m9U-uvqZTS8
    =D ^_^ A 1080p version will come later.
    EDIT: 1080p
    http://files.filefront.com/wipeout+h.../fileinfo.html
    Last edited by rdmx; 7th September 2008 at 02:26 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    supersox

Introduction is way too long for an ad of this length and that "Adrenaline-fuelled Combat Racing" feels bit lonely in there but the whole section from 0:20 onwards has an amazing awesome roll to it. Brilliant

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    James_sp

insertcoin, that tv ad is amazing! i love it.
    Who is the artist of the song?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Utah Saints - Something Good '08 I guess.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Nice. Youve got the Utah Saints single i see. Good editing. These guys actually did a track in Fusion called 'Sick' is any of you guys remember. UK music for a UK made game, sounds about right also. One of these clips a tad shorter, during prime time TV should do the trick. What would sound fkn awesome would be advert with Eric Prydz music in the mix, and it would sell like crazy if there was an advert with Pendulum music in it

Will they even try is more of the question. Killed pulse by not advertising was completely ridiculous, and it wouldn't suprise me if it happened again. I hope this is not the case since I would actually like to see another wipeout