Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How will Sony attract/gain new buyers interested in HD?

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

WTF i dont remember making a thread.

I was wondering where this came from, it came from the Release Date Thread.

Now to how to promote Wipeout HD, hmmm i could pesker a few people who are still yet to purchase a PS3 console. Ah i got a good idea, i could make a video on my YouTube channel to promote this game, then i would get into **** with copyright issues with the music artists and Sony.... hmmm.

Seriously a few commercials on TV would do well to promote this game. But if some well know music artists that are used in this game like Kraftwerk and Mason maybe there can promote this game inside there upcoming single or albums. Good idea hey, 'i assist you, you assist me'.

Do you remember intentionally going offtopic ["This is a bit off topic, but how will SL and Sony attract/gain new buyers".....] in the ^Release Date^ thread? Well, 16 other posts followed offtopic without ever coming back to the release date, so I made them into a thread of their own.

But.. er.. back to the uh... topic.

I know a friend of mine is likely to buy a PS3 once it finally releases.

PSN ID
    flashbax1

If i win the euro millions tomorrow i'll set up my own ad campaigne and buy everyone on here with out a PS3 so they can D/L it...Thats only if i win the full 70mill

PSN ID
    Axellink

My brother doesn't have a PS3, can you buy one for him please when you win

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

Well, to be frank, my purchasing HD depends on someone getting their act together and offering the extra Pulse content to the rest of the world. Whether I purchase a PS3 is dependent on whether I purchase HD. Cascade effect.

- F

@Norfolk'n'Clue, Axel, and Flashback Jack: But what do you think Sony should do to advertise the game?

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Quote Originally Posted by flashbax View Post
    Thats only if i win the full 70mill
    It's actually 92 Million! Enough for pay for the download for everyone too.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

I'll be curious to see what Sony comes up with-- but I don't expect much outside of paid online advertisements at videogame websites and the like. I sure haven't seen much advertisement in general for online distributed games. On the other hand, digital distributed content seems to "have legs," with more drawn out sales. Hopefully Wipeout HD will be cheap enough and have good reviews so that it becomes a staple download even for future PS3 owners

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback Jack View Post
    Well, to be frank, my purchasing HD depends on someone getting their act together and offering the extra Pulse content to the rest of the world. Whether I purchase a PS3 is dependent on whether I purchase HD. Cascade effect.
    So no Wipeout HD for you?

I have completely given up hope on the DLC

PSN ID
    Axellink

I was mainly thinking of them hitting the Gaming websites, Gametrailers, IGN, Gamespot etc. We all know games sales depends on reviews and lest be honest, there is a lot of bias from the gaming press.

Viral marketing does work. I remember the billboard advert for Fusion with the setting of London and a track going around it. It definitely caught my eyes as i didn't even know it was for Wipeout fusion!!!

This is supposed to be their flagship game for the PSN network. If they are going for TV ads and billboards, then it's got to be clever but also note that this game is downloadable only. I think these guys may have shot themselves in the foot by not making this into Blue Ray. But you can counter argue this by saying that the distribution method of delivering the game via the PS Store is far, far cheaper.

Anywho, only time will tell.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    But what do you think Sony should do to advertise the game?
    Release the Pulse packs on every region's Playstation Store and attach a tagline saying "oh yeah, Wipeout HD is about to be released soon." That ought to garner 'em plenty of attention.

- F

By golly, that's just crazy enough to work.
    There would probably need to be something more to attract people who don't own a PSP and may not be checking the online store, but for North American PSP owners in particular, that announcement should certainly get their attention!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Wip3ou7pure

There are two small WipEout HD "movie-posters" outside of the Theatre in the Central Square area of PlayStation HOME (Yay I got in the BETA!). I looked around extensively but that's all I could find. I'm glad it's there at all.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rubix42

It's hard to figure out what a good advertisement campaign is for a digital game. How does Sam and Max do so well?

Really, other than putting it up on the PSN and a PSBlog post about it, I bet we won't see much else regarding WipeoutHD at all. Sure, each review site will do their review which is free advertising.

But really, Sony hasn't done much of any advertising of the PSN games. Ratchet Quest for Booty was just dropkicked onto the PSN for download and them seemingly forgotten.

@Axel: PSN distribution would sure be cheaper, but, yeah, I think Sony really should do a lot more. If I ever get the console, that doesn't mean that I will have wireless or even wired broadband. I want to see TV adverts and have discs in brickandmortar stores where I can buy one.

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

I agree with the both of you on the blue-ray issue...

If they had it on blue-ray, I would be able to buy it soon without having to buy a PS3, but simply using a public PS3 offered to us military, and oh my god would I have so much fun with that, playing with the huge HDTVs we have in our dayrooms... with router capability... then meanwhile I could save up for my own PS3 and HDTV without falling behind everyone else...

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    cybrpnk

this may sound too much like a 'i told you so' but SL or Sony...if you are lurking, don't take it personally...

Home would have been the best vehicle for marketing of HD if only it was implemented a lot earlier to the public...virtual dynamic banners in a virtual space populated by a whole bunch of established PS3 user would have been the perfect vehicle...

otherwise...I'm not a marketing person myself...more a designer who tried learning a bit about marketing...the digital world of the w w w would be perfect...say maybe *dread horror* facebook??? or just banners on gaming sites...gamerankings, gamespot, 1up, IGN...I'm even surprised wipeoutzone is not plastered with some cool HD stuff...

aw well...at the end of the day...its cool that the game is finally nearly here...but its scary not knowing how well this will do, which will determine the future of the series...

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

When I went to the washington convention all their was was the two booths, no billboards, no presentation of that game what-so-ever... so everyone had to constantly ask "is that Wipeout HD?" And what of the people who didn't recognize it, but wondered what it was, then forgot about it? It's little things like this that need to be improved, definately...

It's also the disk that can advertise as well... when people see it, they notice it of course... and the person's friends/relatives/whatever... they see it as well...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    alka16r

does anyone knows the number of sales for each of the previous wipeout franchise game? by the way does anyone remind advertising about former wipeout games ?

PSN ID
    flashbax1

I'm a big fan of MOTOGP well everything sports bike!! And i watch a lot of sky tv eurosport ect in HD now imagine the WOHD AD starting up in the break with the HD visuals, music, I personaly think that would leave a fair few people sat there thinking WOW!! and spur them on to find out when,were,how to get there hands on such a game.