Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Controlling HD...

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I'll try it again then with another controller,if you have it working then it should work for me.
    Last edited by Task; 3rd October 2008 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Removed quotation of previous post

One thing I would like is to be able to map controls to the dpad, like thrust etc when using the controller in motion steer mode.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Max and Martin : i'd like to know what kind of pourcent you applied for pitching.
    I tested last night after a Bday party from a friend at the center : ipssipsss : i know your brain need to be used to learn 2 different actions done in 1 time : like with Neggie you can twist and pitching separatly so does your brain : it needs to ' accept ' to do it without thinking at what you are doing ( if you lost by what i said : no problem i am also loosing my mind )
    I am still faithfull in my OLD SCHOOL psp learning but who never knows if i am gonna be slower than most of you i shall think to adapt myself : but times haven't come yet

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I have the pitch control motion sensor on 60% sensitivity. Basically, what I did was see how quickly I can pitch up and down with the stick, and then adjust the motion sensor until it works as fast as analog.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Thx mate i will test that during this coming weekend

I understood you Arnaud, and I agree that our brains have to learn this new combination of movements. You can "teach old dogs new tricks", but it takes time.

I think pitch on motion control is the way forward. I have managed a few times to get the timing right on the pitch control to smooth a nasty bump while turning the ship, just like Silverstream with a neggie, though the timing of the nose up is different and we will have to learn it, and it isn`t quite that good a control method.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

You can "teach old dogs new tricks", but it takes time.

LOL this is exactly what i wanted to say i just changed in my mind 'dog' by 'monkey' ( suits me perfectly )

I think i am gonna try to learn the tracks first with my antique technique and see what happend next

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

Just curious, but why does it sound like pitch is so pre-eminently important this time around? How have the mechanics of HD changed so much over Pulse that makes pitch more something to consider?

- F

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

HD feels floatier than Pulse to me. It matters on some tracks a lot more than other obviously but if you play with the Elite AI and don't nail the pitch control you get your ass handed to you big time.

After a bitter and painful struggle with my inner stick-user, I have finally decided to opt for d-pad on HD. If it`s good enough for the Mad bad pad man it`s good enough for me. I think it`s better for sharp turns, and with a bit of practice I should be able to get all that tip-tap-tapping for small corrections My mind needs to be re-programmed, but better to do it now I think.

I have a few questions about controlling HD that I think need clearing up:

Are L1/R1 at all pressure sensitive? If using them for brakes is there any difference between braking sensitivity settings?

Is a Dualshock 3 dpad pressure sensitive? Is a Sixaxis dpad pressure sensitive?

Did anything come of the rumour that the controller would vibrate to show when pitch is wrong? Anyone noticed this?

I actually prefer the game without vibration and would turn it off if possible and if it has no practical use, or just use my old Sixaxis.

Another question about techniques: do people generally use sideshift less at Phantom class than slower speeds? On Flash, I often steer almost too far out of a corner, then use sideshift to propel the ship into a straight line. Hope that makes sense. It`s kind of altering your normal line in order to use sideshift. Does anyone else use this technique on Flash, but not on Phantom, or does anyone else use it at all?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

First off - if you think Dpad is more accurate for steering, go for it! Personally, I just wouldn't want to adapt to harsh digital input, as opposed to smooth analog control - even if that means I won't be as perfect.

Answering some of your questions:

Yes, L1/R1 are fully pressure sensitive. Even finer than L2/R2, imho, because they are not as springy.

The Dpad is, as the name suggests, digital - not sensitive.

The rumor that the DS3 vibrates when pitch is wrong pretty much proved to be nonsense, sadly...

I believe you can turn off the DS3 rumble in the XMB, if the game itself doesn't allow it.

Concerning your Sideshift question: I can't really say if I would use it more on lower speeds, since I don't race lower speeds ever since I finished campaign. I do, however, use sideshift very often, but mostly to get the last bit of a turn, rather than re-adjusting my raceline after a turn...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GTAce

The Dpad is, as the name suggests, digital - not sensitive.
    Thats wrong, its also pressure sensitive just like in the DualShock 2.

I changed my controls again btw. im now accelerating with [], absorb with /\ and change the cam with X.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Really? Are you sure about that? If you press a direction on the Dpad, the ship does exactly the same movement no matter how hard you press (as long as the time you press it is the same)...

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Larikun

D-pad actually means directional pad, but elhabib is correct, it is digital, I just literally tried to turn with it, and it's definitely digital.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

How on earth do you get any sort of analog input with the d-pad anyway?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    The rumor that the DS3 vibrates when pitch is wrong pretty much proved to be nonsense, sadly...
    Uhh it does rumble when you're nosing down when on Sebenco Climb Forward... That's incorrect pitch pretty much. If you pitch up it will rumble less. Play that and you'll see...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GTAce

Quote Originally Posted by Larikun View Post
    D-pad actually means directional pad, but elhabib is correct, it is digital, I just literally tried to turn with it, and it's definitely digital.
    Maybe its like that in WipEout, need to try it out in another game again, but yeah, im very sure its pressure sensitive (like the other front buttons too).

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdrium777 View Post
    Uhh it does rumble when you're nosing down when on Sebenco Climb Forward... That's incorrect pitch pretty much. If you pitch up it will rumble less. Play that and you'll see...
    Yeah, it rumbles because your nose actually touches the floor when the track goes steeply upwards.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Not necessarily. I've had it rumble when going over a small hill, for example at the second left turn going up, it rumbles on the hill onto the second right turn. If you adjust pitch correctly (i.e. Nose up when going up, then down for the small hill until the right turn which goes up to the drop back down in the tunnel), it will not rumble, or considerably less.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Squallie

Im pretty sure the Dpad is pressure sensitive. Maybe not programmed that way in WOHD but the controller itself should be.

And it would be weird not to use that in WOHD imo. :S