Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Controlling HD...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

Quote Originally Posted by FishDK View Post
    I did not know of the double tapping your airbrakes. I just press left or right and then the brakes just like in the WO's for the PSX. I'll have to check it out.
    Definitely do. Sideshift was one of the many fantastic innovations that Pure added to the game. I started out not using it too much, but very quickly I was really relying on it. Now I try to sideshift in WO1. 8 P

I was never good at pitch control, just used it to not slam my nose into the ground when flying off a high spot, but seing that most of you guys use it a lot, I should get more into it, or else I will be sucking up you guy's dust and exhaust on the tracks!
    8 D It's not that huge of a difference!
    Well, in HD it shouldn't be anyway. In Pulse it's a pretty big difference. Pitch control has sometimes been very good for cornering, but mostly it's just been for smooth landings.

I don't like the shaking of the HUD when you crash. It's annoys me to no end, but I can't find a feature to disable it.
    The feature you're looking for is called Pilot Assist! 8 D

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Just wanted to say:
    it's awesome how well pitching with the motion sensors works. It's just awesome!!

Some 90° turnes, combined with airbraking/shifting make a lot more fun now (they're still not easy, though). I'm really surprised how well it works and how much of a difference pitching the nose up in a turn makes.
    It was always so busy for me to press left, right, up and down with the D-Pad which resulted in left-right only. Now with the sensors, steering all four directions is really enjoying.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Quote Originally Posted by task View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fishdk View Post
    i don't like the shaking of the hud when you crash. It's annoys me to no end, but i can't find a feature to disable it.
    the feature you're looking for is called pilot assist!
    lol!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Greif

Quote Originally Posted by Task View Post
    The feature you're looking for is called Pilot Assist! 8 D
    It even makes it possible to get along the track by just using thrust and airbrakes. What a feature...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rubix42

All of us know Pilot assist is pretty silly, but think of it this way. My wife (a non-gamer) played last night with it on, and decided to keep playing. She called it her "training wheels" and wants to keep playing and get to the point where she can take the training wheels off and still enjoy the game.

So the feature has made at least 1 new fan.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Greif

Sure you're right there. Good way to describe it, and certainly cleverer than bouncing about the way I do at some tracks atm.

PSN ID
    Curufinwe5503

Quote Originally Posted by mangaroo View Post
    Yeah a few of us did G-Hob, but you can fix it in the control options by setting it to 10% acceleration sensitivity (which is max) so it basically always gives you full power
    Thanks, that great news. Not that I expect to get a PS3 & WO:HD till next year, heh.

Timezone
    GMT -5

I originally tried playing it with motion controls (pitch and steering) but I just couldn't get it to feel natural. It was hard for me to gauge how precisely my movements were translating into the degree I turned. The minute I switched to the analog stick, I was comfortable.

As for the other controls, after playing the game for a few hours, my hand started cramping. I tweaked a few things so the buttons weren't so crowded and didn't rely on the face buttons so much:

L2+R2 - air brakes
    L1 - use/fire pickup
    R1 - absorb pickup
    Square - accelerate

This way, I can use five fingers to press five buttons, as opposed to three fingers with my thumb doing triple duty. And I moved accelerate to square simply because it lets my thumb reach more so it's not as bent... it's all about my hands not being cramped. Works great so far.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GTAce

L2+R2 - Airbrakes
    L1 - - - Chat
    R1 - - - Fire
    []- - -- Absorb
    O - - -- Look back
    X - - -- Accelerate
    /\ - - -- Camera

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    netsan

Hi there !

[MY LIFE]When I started playing Mario Kart Wii exclusivly with the WiiWheel, it felt great to me and hoped for a F-Zero with the WiiWheel. But now I have better : wipEout HD !![/MY LIFE]
    I'm using full motion controls combined with the regular left stick. That's a great idea from Liverpool studio to let the stick functionnal while the full motion controls are enabled !
    This way I use motion controls to turn a little anduse both in hard turns ! It feels completly natural for me !
    I didn't change the air breaks button As i like the analogic touch of the L2/R2 triggers. Really useful in Zone.
    I just change thrust to Square, weapon to X, Absorb to O and change view to Triangle (as I don't use it).

I also add a funny issue during my first tracks as for some unknown reason I turned the thrust sensitivity to 100% in the option Menu. I didn't know the face button was analogic !!! Know I know it's the case also on the DualShock 2 but I've never realised that before !
    So I lost my 2 or 3 first course as my thrust were mearly at 30% all the time... I wasn't puching the button strong enough !!

I also agree about the pilot assist beeing very usefull for newcomers. I played with 2 friends who never playd wipEout before and it was far more pleasant for them !

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Ha ha, i did exactly the same (100% trust and also 100% airbrakes's sensitivity) i started to depress when i realized that the buttons were analogic. I'm worse than you because i knew that feature (i simply forgot it!)
    With only 10% sensitivity on both thrust & AB, i found moral

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Dpad/ internal view / no motion sensor ( but pitch may be interesting to test) airbrakes with R1/L1

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Asa, you definitley should give motion sensor pitch control a try! While you pitch with the motion sensor, you can focus on steering only with the use of the D-pad. It works like a charm!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

And you know what else, Arnaud? You should definitely give ANALOG controls a try! I know, I know, you're oldschool (VERY OLD SCHOOL ) but still, it's so much smoother than Dpad!

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I use the D-Pad mainly because that's the control method I learn't to play WO when there was no other option.

I'd like to use the analog stick,but I've always found that it is just too tall for me to be as precise as using the D-Pad,if they made one that was half the height I'd probably switch to the stick.

Regarding the L2-R2 for air bakes,too spongy so put it back where they have always been.

I also tried the sixaxis motion control, and like somebody else mentioned there is a lag of a few 100ms,it doesn't sound much but it's enough to throw you out of kilter on a fast game like WO.

Now that we have online play,I find it easy to pick if another player is using a D-Pad over the analog stick just by the movement of their craft.

One other thing,On WOHD there is no way of dispensing with a particular control altogether like you could in previous WO's,you have to assign everything even if you have no intention of using it.

I find this particularly irritating, as the way I prefer to assign my controller means that I have to assign the rear view control to either L2 or R2, and the amount of times that I have just brushed those sensitive buttons against my leg means I'm suddenly in rear view,and that can really throw you.

The same problem exists with suddenly finding your forward view changing from it's default,I mean who switches from say Internal to close or far views mid race? Nobody....that option should be left in the games menu system,not HAVING to be assigned a button that you can possibly hit by mistake.

Please SL, if you are reading this could you make an option where WOHD's games controls need NOT be assignable, or, turned off or locked.

It would make me a far less frustrated old AG racer.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rubix42

I have camera change mapped to select. I never accidentally hit that.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

So you can't leave functions unassigned? Ever tried mapping Triangle to something else, leaving camera unassigned, and accept the controls like that? Doesn't work?

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

don't forget the L3 and R3 buttons (click the sticks)
    they're good places to map rarely used functions as they aren't as easy as most buttons to bump
    I currently have look behind on L3, but am finding myself bumping that on the chicane near the end of ubermall, will have to move to R3 I think.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    So you can't leave functions unassigned? Ever tried mapping Triangle to something else, leaving camera unassigned, and accept the controls like that? Doesn't work?
    It doesn't work,although as suggested I have just mapped rear view to R3 so at least's that one of the problems sorted.

I tried putting camera to be mapped to select, but it's no go with that as the game won't recognize it.

And I don't want to map camera anywhere near the left analog stick/L3,as I occasionally use the stick for nose up.

You still can't have unassigned controls.

Down at the bottom of the controls page you have [Accept/Cancel/Default]
    If you leave a control unassigned the Accept disappears from the screen and won't reappear until all controls are assigned.

There lies the dilemma

I hope this can be sorted with a update/patch.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Miths000

Camera on the select button should work. I've had mine mapped like that from day one.