Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Controlling HD...

Quote Originally Posted by Skvall View Post
    Usually I play with external. But in the first WO I use internal view because the ship seems to have a smaller hitbox or something. external = more collisions
    I never noticed that. I`m the other way round. I always use external on original Wipeout, the only one where I do. On Wipeout 1 the ship really seems part of the world, whereas on Pure and Pulse it looks like a pivoting, superimposed model on a scrolling track. If that makes sense to anyone The pivoting look is particularly strong in Pulse, and in Pure the ship seems more "free". I`m quite encouraged by the way the ship can get further away from the camera on external view in HD. Wipeout 1 does this and it gives a great sense of realism. I hope the HD ships look like they`re in the world you`re looking at, not superimposed, but I will probably end up on internal with my lovely new DS3.... very soon.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I've always used internal view on all the WO games,but in Pure and Pulse it seems like you are getting too much information coming at you all the time,so I started using near view.

I'll probably start trying with the sixaxis when HD is out with internal view, as I think that would be the easiest and quickest way to work out exactly how much movement you'd need with this control method

I have a feeling that to get the best control in this mode, you're going to have to have your arms resting on your knees so you don't end up all over the place,if that's the case,I might rig up some sort of short mic stand with a goose neck head and put the controller in that,save myself from back ache.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Squallie

Quote Originally Posted by lunar View Post
    I never noticed that. I`m the other way round. I always use external on original Wipeout
    It's mainly when colliding with another ship, i am pretty sure about this. =P

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

Lunar doesn't collide with other ships anymore on Wipeout 1. He can't be an accurate judge of this?

I only collide with walls.

As long as I'm playing time-trial.

Always nosecam. Those unintended barrel-rolls are.. amusing.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

I'll tell you one thing, those 'trigger' buttons on the PS3 pads are just **** for sideshifts, I mean complete ****!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

^agreed. first thing I did was change the airbrakes to R1/L1.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rubix42

Am I the only one who plays with face buttons as the airbrakes? Normally X for left and O for right. Thrust and weapons assigned to right and left triggers respectively.

I put the airbrakes to R1/L1 before I even played it!

I`m finding BR`s hit and miss with the stick, but that will probably come with practice. I think pitch control on the motion sensor is going to be a winner, but I will need to work on my co-ordination to start getting that to feel natural

Sideshifts are very strong, a little learning needed there, but all round it seems to control quite nicely.

The effect on the boost pads was strange at first, but now I don`t notice it.

Time to tidy up the house and get back to WipEout!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Amon69it

My experiences after 2 hours of play.

Im using full motion controls, far external view, and l2 + r2 for airbrakes.

Full motion control sensitivity started at 30 % and now is at 50 %.

Airbrakes no "analog" buttons feel great, yuo can decide how much braking force yuo want to apply it seems.

Full motion controls takes a while to feel natural. First hour was awful, now i'm getting used at them and i'm starting to do what i want whit them.

Only real problem is that there is a feeling of lag in them. You have to anticipate movement a lot more of what it look natural. Don't know if it's real or perceived lag but it's there for me.

Amon out, back to racing !

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    cybrpnk

Quote Originally Posted by Rubix42 View Post
    Am I the only one who plays with face buttons as the airbrakes? Normally X for left and O for right. Thrust and weapons assigned to right and left triggers respectively.
    wow...never heard of that config before...interesting concept...why not square for left airbrake and circle for right???

31% of HD in my PS3!!! cmon cmon!!!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rubix42

I tried it, but for quick switching on tough sections of track, it's nice to have them right next to each other.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    cybrpnk

Had a quick game before I left for work...the controls have loosened up a lot...this could also be due to the analogue hardware being entirely different for the PSP in comparison to the Dual Shock 3...

Loose is good yet....it has a certain tightness for precision cornering only millimetres away from walls and whatnot...I have never enjoyed flying from internal cam since 2097...

Will try out the motion controls tonight...after coming home from drinks...which I don't think is a very good idea...aaaaahahahaha

Thanks Studio Liverpool for improving this aspect of WipEout 100 fold...

PSN ID
    Curufinwe5503

In Wipeout Fusion, I found the analog face buttons of the DualShock 2 actually hindered the gameplay, because you had to keep the X button jammed down as hard as possible to maintain maximum acceleration. I would often find my ship wasn't going as fast as possible because my right thumb had relaxed slightly. I resolved the problem by plugging in a DualShock 1.

So, has anyone had any trouble with the acceleration in Wipeout HD?

PSN ID
    Yasir_Said

Yeah a few of us did G-Hob, but you can fix it in the control options by setting it to 10% acceleration sensitivity (which is max) so it basically always gives you full power

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I have succumbed to D-Pad. I really should try motion control again, but hmm... I'm not really sure...

PSN ID
    WTFish

I did not know of the double tapping your airbrakes. I just press left or right and then the brakes just like in the WO's for the PSX. I'll have to check it out.
    I also think I will change the layout to L1 and R1. the other buttons are too springy.

I use Square for acceleration, X for shooting and triangle for absorbing weapons while O is for look behind.

I was never good at pitch control, just used it to not slam my nose into the ground when flying off a high spot, but seing that most of you guys use it a lot, I should get more into it, or else I will be sucking up you guy's dust and exhaust on the tracks!

I don't like the shaking of the HUD when you crash. It's annoys me to no end, but I can't find a feature to disable it.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rubix42

I haven't tried any motion controls yet, but I certainly enjoy the DS3 joystick for some reason, that is the last thing I thought I would be saying right now.

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

I've been experimenting quite a bit with my controls so far.
    • I am finding L2/R2 travel too much to be suitable as airbrakes. need to move it to L1/R1
    • If I try to use pitch only sixaxis controls, it feels messed up. it's like the opposite of a negcon
    • sixaxis control at default sensitivity (haven't fiddled with that yet) feels a LOT better than expected. though when I tried it at rapier I started to feel like I seriously need to make it more sensitive
    • I'm starting to wish there was some way to have a separate device in my left hand for air brakes when using sixaxis controls.. scary though it is, I think a wiimote and nunchuck would be great controllers for HD

and in non-controls news, this is the first wipeout game where I've found myself preferring the nose camera over a close chasecam

Timezone
    GMT + 1

I tried full motion control with internal view and did I suck big time! Slamming into walls and finishing last with AI on hardest! Then tried external view with only pitch on sixaxis and D-pad and luckely finishing first.

Does anybody tried full motion control with a nice setting? And what are they?