View Poll Results: Would you join a no-barrel-roll club in HD?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'd race without barrel rolls all the time in the club.

13 32.50%
  • Yes, I'd race without barrel rolls when racing the club, but I'd use them racing anyone else.

23 57.50%
  • No, I'd use barrel rolls all the time.

4 10.00%

Thread: Would you be open to a online no-barrel-roll club?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool Would you be open to a online no-barrel-roll club?

I am referring to having online races with Wipeout HD where no one barrel rolls, regardless of whether the game offers the option to disallow them (pipe dream...).

I know someone mentioned this idea somewhere before, but I think it was pretty well dismissed right away since in Pulse, no one really wanted to see their rankings drop, or not have a chance at fastest time, etc. Not to mention the ships not floating very much in Pulse.

My thinking is this: HD supposedly has floatier handling than Pulse, so the game should feel a lot better without barrel rolls than Pulse did, theoretically.

And so, I'd like to know what those who have a PS3 or are going to have one for HD think of this idea.
    Would you join a "club" where all agree to not use barrel rolls at all in online races? (Obviously some could happen accidentally or out of habit from racing those outside of the "no-barrel-rolls club", but participating sporting folk could come up with some sort of nice way to deal with this, I'm sure.)

I've put three options in here:
    Yes, you'd only race with no barrel rolls.
    Yes, you'd race with no barrel rolls with those in the "club", and with barrel rolls racing others.
    No, you'd race with barrel rolls no matter what, since that's how it was designed and it's faster that way.

BTW, I'm missing online play very much lately. But I'm not missing the barrel rolls. So I'm just curious what kind of response this kind of online game would garner. The way HD is being held back, who knows, maybe I'll end up with a PS3. Maybe not.
    Last edited by Medusa; 9th August 2008 at 08:11 PM.

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

I don't race with them anymore, anyway.

BTW, Medusa, when / if you get one, there's a friend invite from me waiting.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I mentioned this in another thread before, we should definitely have no problems in establishing some sort of a 'gentlemen's agreement' to not use BRs. Still, here's hoping they add in a little switch to force BRs off.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

I may be one of the few folks here that actually *likes* barrel rolls (don't hate me ) but at the same time, I would be happy to participate in races where barrel rolls are turned off (by a menu option or by agreement).

That's also kinda my feeling about items in races-- better with items IMHO but I'm happy to race other folks with items off for something fun and different to do.

Not sure about time trials-- I really like the added strategy of BRs for lap time trials in particular-- and it would be damn hard to keep track of two sets of times (one with BRs/one without). But that's probably not the nature of this thread anyway

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Wip3ou7pure

it would be really cool if they did an fps style toggle for every weapon/feature in the game... you can turn on/off any combination of pickups and even toggle features like for instance turn on/off barrel rolls, pickup absorbing, maybe even airbrakes or normal steering and airbakes only lol... but i dont mind BRs that much... heres my new thread on how they can be rationalized in the wipeout storyline http://wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5107

PSN ID
    emwu23

Yeah,It would be great if HD might have possibility to turn it off br.

Anyway, my opinion it's exactly the same as Frances's.

PSN ID
    AVENGER2197

I've said it elsewhere, but I'd be down with an agreement to not use BRs when racing. Hope you get your PS3 sooner rather than later Medusa. Can't wait to race all of you.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

I hope they include a little switch, yeah. I'm okay with the "gentlemen"-agreement too, but then there's still the chance you make BRs by accident, which happend to me very often in Pure and Pulse

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

A gentleman's agreement could work with people off this forum, but as said it's really easy to do a barrel roll by accident although you could slam your brakes on when you land and kill your speed. Ultimately an option to disable them would be nice.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

I must say, if SL includes different customization options for races-- weapons, number of players, and the like-- there doesn't seem to be a compelling reason not to disable barrel rolls.

The animation could still be left intact-- just kill the resulting speed boost.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

I don't understand the big deal with barrel rolls, unless you're talking about the inconsistency of their execution (ie: sometimes you pull one off when you launch from a certain jump, and sometimes you don't). Since they were introduced in Pure, I kinda liked them as far as that game was concerned. They feel appropriate in Pulse, too, because you can sometimes do one if you catch random air, and it's like "Hey, free turbo." It's a deliberate and intentional factor in the gameplay, so I don't see why you'd want to agree to not use them; unless perhaps you can make it akin to not using Piranha in XL or something. It's not like barrel rolls are like snaking/edge boosting/etc in F-Zero GX, or wave dashing and crap in Melee; it's not a quirk/glitch that people are exploiting or anything.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Yes, you'd race with no barrel rolls with those in the "club", and with barrel rolls racing others.
    this is my aim, lady

Yes I`d certainly race according to any rules agreed by the majority of those taking part. However, in general, I do think it`s better to play the game you have, and that any attempt to make it into something it`s not isn`t going to be all that succesful in the long run: same as trying to ban shortcuts in 3SE and 2097. These game would be better without shortcuts, imo, but you`ve just got to accept them for practical reasons. But I`d certainly be up for the no-BR club so long as we could make it work and everyone in the race was on the same page

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Course this would only work for people off this board so anyone who choose the first option is either going to have very limited online play or they are going to be severely thrashed each time they race. The majority of players won't be in this 'club' which would result in very small races in terms of opposition for you guys.

What happens when theres only say 2 maybe 3 'club members' online and another 4 players not from WipeoutZone join, your not going to barrel roll eh? lol We'll see how long that lasts.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

Super double secret password protection! Of course we'd need to partner up with Wipeout Arena. Wouldn't be fair to leave them out just because they're a French-language site.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

Frances said: "I may be one of the few folks here that actually *likes* barrel rolls (don't hate me )..."
    I don`t hate you, don`t worry!

AG-Wolf said: "I don't understand the big deal with barrel rolls...". Unless you really loved the gameplay of the old games to bits and hate the new handling, there isn`t any big deal with barrel rolls. It`s a purity thing, in the end. A wistful attempt to recall the magic of the earlier games - in which barrel rolls did not exist and the physics of the game seemed realistic. Don`t get me going now.
    (BTW I thought snaking was designed into the MarioKart games? Want to clarify Frances P? I don't understand that part of AG-Wolf's post...)

Lunar makes a very good point - this is an attempt to make the game something it wasn`t designed to be... but I think everyone who wants to play without barrel rolls knows what they want out of a wipeout game. I have to say, I tried Pulse without barrel rolls and hated it. It was clunky and I wanted to go faster.
    I don`t expect the ships to float that much more than in Pulse, sadly, but any amount would help! If they float more than Pulse, it should at least make the game feel playable without barrel rolls. It`s pretty unrealistic to post this poll before people have even had a chance to play the game, I know, but it`s all based on what-ifs anyway. It's not like people couldn't abandon the no-barrel-roll-club in hordes if it was absolutely horrible.

Yeah, I know it would likely be limited to only members of this site, one of the only places where people rabidly care what is happening to that precious series branded "WipEout".

PSN ID
    Judus

Fine either way. If the option was added to the game, it would be nicer.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    packetmon

I'd race with or without BRs, whatever the conventions racers agree on for a particular race.

Don't expect to see me on HD though.
    I won't get a PS3 until Sony releases the Pulse download packs.
    Even then I'll be busy for a couple months running Icarus time trials.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

Offtopic, but I've heard from reading the GameFAQs forums that you are a damn fast racer packetmon!

And I'll be in the same spot as you - I need to wait for my finances to settle out in college before I can even entertain the idea of a PS3. And if you're waiting for Pulse DLC, you'd be better off finding someone who's willing to lend one of their five downloads to you rather than waiting for a US Store release. Because that'll happen sometime this never.

Back on topic, Wipeout Pulse is still fine to play without the use of barrel rolls. It's just more challenging on Hard difficulty. So I'd be fine racing either way.
    Last edited by RJ O'Connell; 13th August 2008 at 01:26 AM.