Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay's Speed Mod

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

Fact: A nosed down AG-Sys in Phantom has a higher top speed than a non-nosed down Piranha (something like 800 vs. 793)

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

Hi,

I can give facts too lol : (I used to play with the ugly stick before that tip, I'm now obliged to go back to zero in order to master the d-pad)
    I've just played a bunch of hours (PULSE) (phantom)(speed lap)
    platinum rush white : 19:67 (-0.03)
    moa therma : 22:63 (-0.30)
    basilico white 16:27 (-0.30)
    ...amphi white just fell! 23:52, -0.06...
    Now ALL my ghosts are really afraid of the speed mod gah can't stop
    This tip is dope. It's a FAIR TT lover tip. THE HANDLING IS AWESOME compared to my f----n' stick experience. No more bizarre landing after a jump (hey, that's ok, it's anti-gravity guys!), & I don't fear track borders anymore! In the real world, formula 1 got computers to help the pilot, we have Jay's speed mod technology for pure/pulse. HUGE Thanks for that, I'm now entering into a new era of TT (delayed by the d-pad learning)
    Last edited by kanar; 27th July 2008 at 04:07 PM.

Kanar, if you wanted to use the stick you could tape down the dpad instead

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

Indeed.
    In classic "over engineered" style, I'd suggest a c-clamp. Clamp that d-pad down!
    It'd be a lot more precise than the analog stick speed mod, no possibility of getting a bit of right or left with your forward pitch. 8 )

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

Guys I really don't know if it's a good idea. I already tried to clamp down the d-pad few days ago, but I wasn't happy with the result. I'm done with that stick. I really noticed a nice difference, d-pad control is better for me. After just one day of TT, I'm running at the same speed as my records. I just need time to master this new & great experience : more perfect laps mmm

To Task : (You mean d-pad locked down+stick locked down, while I'm playing with d-pad directions? no it's impossible lol) For now, I noticed the direction is kind of locked yeah, but I managed to put all my BR on my favorite tracks. More, I didn't have any problems at platinum rush white too, although it's a tortuous track. I'll probably finish my night on tech de ra now... speed...TT...music...
    Last edited by kanar; 27th July 2008 at 10:33 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

LOL, I enjoyed the read, Jay. It takes true dedication to keep working at a tiny, finicky mod like that!

I have to say, though, that I personally don't see this as a true "mod" or anything that should be banned. As was mentioned, everyone has tape, and if they don't want to try it, then that's fine. I would think putting scotch tape over a button or shoving bits of plastic behind the nub is a very far cry from installing custom firmware which is directly and obviously condemned by the PSP's manufacturer. (Not to mention the kind of dedication necessary to race all the time with the nose down. Ick. You can have it!)

Calling for a ban on "button-hold-down" sounds rather like a call for a ban on NeGcons or other controller versions - ridiculous! But that's my two cents, which isn't worth much compared to some other currencies in the world atm.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Few things here:

First I'll make it clear that I still don't like it. I used a little piece of paper cut and folded to size ain't no sticky tape going on my PSP.

Tested it with both games at Phantom only and found the following, new records discarded, obviously.

Don't underestimate the advantage doing this will give you, its noticeable on both games after some testing.

Pure seems to benefit from it the most, I don't know why you feel it is a task to keep the nose down all the time Medusa theres virtually everything to gain in Pure from it. Ships are faster in general, the acceleration doesn't feel so excruciatingly painful, my ship seemed to recover quicker from weapon hits and I was breaking records across the board and ship handling was better. Also helps make landing smoother after a drop.

Pulse I'm not sure if it's more of a hassle or not, you need to either nose up or quickly correct your steering on some mag strips, lets take Moa Therma white, enter the first mag strip with the nose jammed down and the ship instantly slides down to the left and into the wall. Also feels like it makes the already twitchy mag strip handling even worse so it's overall harder to control the ship on one. Again you can see the noticeable difference it makes to the ships speed in general. Weapons also appear to have severely reduced stopping power, recovery times are quicker. Landing off jumps varies it doesn't always help.

I feel like it required more skill in order to use this on Pulse, at least with an Assegai I didn't try any other team.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Jay, that is THE idea of the century
    So simple so easy to use : i really don't know why i haven't got the idea myself before !
    I haven't understood very well when i saw this at your flat last mai, and simply forgot it due ,like you said, to the excitation and also short trip to Toronto ( not talking about me raging through the psN store)
    That is Al who opened my eyes recently ( 1 month and half ago) saying : hey Arnaud put your nose down you ll get some speed more ... i was thinking in my mind : ' geez i already know that Al for a long time before ' but he was laughing saying i really didn't understood very well... so he opened the cam for me and i watched his psp and discovered that tape inserted under the nub! Holly crap i wanna test this immediately and i used for this test the 'jay speed mod V1 simply with a tape), i loaded pure, the Big T ship, Vineta K phantom free laps : after a couple of laps i was really close from my old record ( 19.20) then 15 later i did a true perfect lap : getting all the speed pads and the 3 BR to get a 19.12 : i thought what the ****! that is not too far from my antique record and the tip is not amazingly faster : but i was wrong ! i noticed the tape moved itself under the nub to his normal position (center) : so thx to the tip to let me beat 'regularly my old record of Vineta) but i insisted with the tip on ( put again the tape in the forward position) and get below 19.00 !! easily !! 18.92 was my result with 2 BP missing and one missing BR : now estimated laptime could be located around 18.70: that means 4 tenths difference and one the full racetime 2 sec ( possible under 1.40.00 is doable now)
    On Pulse the difference is less visible but still ( i already beat my racetime SR & TT )
    The gameplay is awesome with that tip on : like the others alredy mentionned : it gaves you a so smooth feeling when racign : your ship reacts faster and imo( in contrario to Al , you are not glued anymore into the walls : you hit the wall , your speed is reducing but you don't stay like a big piece of during a long time. It gaves you also a more Wipeout feeling because of the less BR opportunities ! i like very much that point.
    Like Jay already said everyone can use this tip : it's easy to do and not cost a fortune.
    To resume i like the tip , i don't feel it's cheating : it won't turn a bad player to an extrem skillz one, but will give you a really new way discovering Pure and Pulse.

Quote Originally Posted by Task View Post
    Truly, it shouldn't have any positive effect on your speed at all (indeed, it should have a negative effect!), and I'm kind of hoping that pointing out how ridiculous it is to be able to get a significant speed increase with a piece of tape will stop it from showing up in future versions. 8 )
    I am with you on this : if SL can read that maybe they have time to counterbalance that tip : that is an easy way : no speed added on flat section , speed added with pitch forward ( nose down) into a descent and pitch down ( nose up) into a uphill : in that condition if you use the tip you gonna see your speed reducing on flat section and dramatically suffer if you climb a hill. Simple solution but will it be easy to implement???

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

You have to remember that HD is going to be a totally different beast, it has motion sensing steering available doesn't it? Essentially making this technique all the more 'legal' if you like since you'll probably be able to use the tilt function simultaneously with the d-pad or sticks, theres no reason to think it won't work... unless pressing d-pad buttons overrides and cuts out tilt steering.

For the record I'm not convinced Sixaxis control will ever be usable at Phantom!

We'll just have to wait and see how much if any HD's physics have changed from Pure and Pulse.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Before I even tried the tip, my first reaction to the tip was: It isn´t fair and the game should not be played like that!

Before I even tried the tip, my second reaction was: Now I understand why KANDANG is always beating me within the hour after I have beaten him.

My first reaction after using the tip with PURE was: This is how the game should be played from the beginning. The game runs so much more better with the tip on!

My first reaction after using the tip with PULSE was: exactly the same reaction as playing PURE.

Just to be clear; all the records made by me on the PURE tables are done without the tip! My new records on the PULSE tables are done with tip on.

I have done a lot of racing without tip on with PULSE and I was able to beat KANDANG. These TT races existed of 5 laps with the first lap being exactly 1 second slower then the other 4 laps. The other 4 laps were within 0.2 seconds from each other. I have really come close to the lowest possible race times for some tracks, without using the tip. Then KANDANG beated me by a few seconds. I did not understand but now I do!

Just an example of a record made by me with using the tip on Talon´s Junction White a Time Trial Race on Phantom:

1st 0.22.83
    2nd 0.21.78
    3rd 0.21.67
    4th 0.21.75
    5th 0.21.75

Total 1.49.78

Of course there will be someone that will beat this record, but it shows that I am able to calculate the lowest possible race time for a track, give or take a few tenth, but not seconds.

This tip is about seconds and I mean a least 1 second per lap. So yes I am pro tip, it is about the fastest possible time and the nicest way to fly. The tip gives a better flow to the game.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

aka the game is broken.
    it's nice that the game feels much better and makes you fly faster this way, but ultimately this means that everyone who is not willing to stick some tape on his PSP is now inferior, just because he playes the game like it was originally meant to be played. I really hope this doesn't carry over to HD

this should not be in HD, but we all know it will, barring sending a letter with 10000 signatures. I am already taping my analog stick foward on my ps3 controller

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    aka the game is broken.
    we can still enjoy the game in our own ways, but...... that is so true.

I think I read somewhere that HD would require you to pitch up going uphill and down going downhill, which would suggest this tip wouldn`t work. But I don`t know if that is wishful thinking on my part and I can`t recall the source if there ever was one.

If HD does do this they can delay it another year to take this "feature" out, I won`t care!

I do find it funny though that it took us so long to realise about this, maybe some of us didn`t really want to know it.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

The source is 1Up, in their video, but they only said that the DualShock 3 would rumble if pitch was incorrect. That doesn't mean pitch down was taken out.

Thanks! At least I know I`m not completely imagining it, even if it wasn`t quite what I "remember". And I wouldn`t want to start another rumour

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Quote Originally Posted by Rules
    Please obey the following rules when entering a record:
    • All Single Race times should attained racing against the maximum number of opponents with weapons activated.
    • No cheat codes should be active while attaining any record.
    • Times must be set on an unmodified console which is the same region as the copy of the game. (e.g. PAL PS2 and PAL game disc.)
    • Lap and Race records must be set with clean laps and races – times from races which you have been re-spawned in or eliminated from are invalid.

Please do not enter fake times - a lot of members put a lot of hard work into achieving their records and it would be highly unfair to displace them with inaccurate information.

Please also make sure you are updating the records for the correct game version.
    That should close any discussion. If we abide by these rules set forth by Rob on the Wipeout Zone record tables, this speed mod[ification] should not be allowed.

Thank you.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

Heh! Good point, Darkdrium. Sometimes the best way to settle something is to remind everyone of what they already know.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

For what it is worth, I interpret that statement ("Times must be set on an unmodified console") to refer to the more typical meaning of "mod'd console", i.e., a console that has had its firmware or electronic guts altered in a manner to allow it to be hacked or otherwise manipulated in a manner unintended by the manufacturer.

I think that statement is much more an indictment against the use of custom firmware-- which we know alters the performance of the PSP hardware, sometimes in unpredictable ways-- than the use of a piece of tape to hold down the "up" button. This is coming from somebody that doesn't care for the tape down method and probably won't use it for time trials

That's just my interpretation though-- maybe Foxxy can stop by and comment on this issue

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

It just dawned on me that since my down button was stuck down (thereby keeping the nose of the ship up constantly) for a good portion of my Pure playing time, then a lot of my times actually would be invalid and should be deleted. Although that certainly doesn't give any advantage.

LOL!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

^^ OMG CHEATER!!!111!!!

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/records.p...ds&sub_action=

Looks like we need to bump you from 13th to 15th place for that Anulpha Pass record

(Just teasing, Medusa-- I have a bunch of ****-poor times in Wipeout Pure as well )