Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: WipEout HD delayed due to technical issue

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Quote Originally Posted by infoxicated View Post
    brilliant post
    My goodness, that has to be one of the most thoughtful and well written posts I have ever seen on a message board. Thanks for being willing to tell your experiences and doing it so well

It'll be interesting to see if Sony comes forward to acknowledge/discuss the issues in the near future, if in fact this is what is holding up the game's release.

Quote Originally Posted by Axel View Post
    Hmmm I think I know what it is. Did anybody here feel weird when looking at the vids with the crafts boosting forward? I don't know about you guys, but that "blur" effect made me feel sick
    God, a hope so-- I hate that effect, and I'm really not in general very picky about things like this.
    Last edited by Frances_Penfold; 23rd July 2008 at 01:01 PM.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    And for god's sake, take out the frigging barrel rolls. noone would really miss them, but a lot of people are pissed off by them, so it's really an obvious choice to remove them, no?
    Maybe its that lead artist guy, likes his barrel rolls? You can look forward to seeing more of them then

A very interesting post there Foxy, how about that for an I told you so lol

Lovely post, Foxy. Very insightful. While I like the overall design sense of Pure and Pulse, it seems the 'have screen, must fill it' approach to composition bit him in the ass.

lol, that actually made me laugh, just because i've mentioned my hatred of so much neon appearing in recent wipeout games, many times (if i wanted to play f-zero i would) good informative post, i really hope HD gets sorted out soon (including the removal of the motion blur, fingers crossed) they really need to put out a press release with some solid information on this, everyone's wondering what's going on.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Quote Originally Posted by infoxicated View Post
    (...) me buying a WipEout title with barrel rolls in it would be like Michael Moore attending a fund raiser for George W Bush's retirement
    As usual, so funny mate !

PSN ID
    infoxicated

It's worth bearing in mind that what I said in my post is purely my take on the rumour that "WipEout HD may or may not have failed an epilepsy test." I kind of alluded to that when I said "Whether or not all of the above is at the root of the epilepsy problem, I don't know."

Hence, you shouldn't consider my post as "informative" - merely my take on the rumour. Many journalists around the world have seemingly failed to throw up whilst playing the preview builds, so it could be I'm just a pussy and this is all just rampant speculation. Plus there's a huge margin between motion sickness and epilepsy, and I've never suffered from the latter.

Evidently, Sony take these kind of inaccurate and damaging rumours very seriously - seriously enough that a guy whom I considered a friend, but hadn't actually heard from since the day I left Sony, is now sending me text messages telling me I'm still under NDA for commenting on the rumour.

So there you go folks - I'm under an NDA and I cant say any more. Ever. Reeves is your man on this - he'll keep you informed, I'm sure.

PS - anyone want to run a WipEout website? Myself, I've had a gut full.

PSN ID
    NFNiTM

I failed to notice the sarcasm, lol. oops! silly me!
    Last edited by swift killer; 23rd July 2008 at 05:02 PM. Reason: my name is 'mud'

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

I think you should take Rob's post with a hint of sarcasm, eh?
    Like a few more recent posts in this thread.

Did I mention that I like sarcasm?

PSN ID
    Axellink

It better be sarcasm

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Wip3ou7pure

I must be the only person out there who likes the trance inducing design and flow of the wipeout games. I want all my track stripes and neon signs in tact

Absolutely, but just as we can only speculate whether this story is really true, there`s no point speculating on what has been picked up by the testing software. They`re probably testing it with a Harding FPA machine, and it can be very surprising what is picked up. You never know - it might be barrel rolls that are the problem, they will be removed and we will be applauding the Government Nanny Staters, Health and Safety racketeers and busybodies as we play stunt-free, chunder-free Wipeout. But really it`s a very technical area and only those who have seen the test results could know the extent of the problem, if it exists.

PSN ID
    NFNiTM

Well, given the size of the delay, the epilipsy problem does make sense, but its still a rumour. Let's hope SL get it fixed quickly, because nothing has a fit quicker than a qwik fit fitter (I know, laim joke or what).

[offtopic] I might have asked this before....... who recons the barrel roll should be dropped for the old hyperthrust? [/offtopic]

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Wip3ou7pure

I don't like the W3 hyperthrust, probably equal to barrel rolls for me. Anyway, this is becoming a real downer. I wish someone would make an official statement that isn't so vague. By the way, when I said the customer base is demanding a statement, I was being jovial, but you can't easily understand that through text.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

[offtopic] Stick with single turbo boost pick-ups. It was good enough for Wipeout XL, it's good enough for any game in the series. [/offtopic]

Failed epilepsy test? That's really messed up. Of course, will all the existing gameplay videos of Wipeout HD have to be pulled from the web as a result?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GTAce

I think theres a difference between watching a video and playing the game with full concentration.
    If it really was delayed because of that its at least a very good reason, epilepsy is a very hard illness...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Wip3ou7pure

I really don't want to believe this... That's like a rock band re-writing their music to not rock as hard for people that cant handle loud noises.
    This whole epilepsy thing is starting to make me upset.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Wip3ou7pure

Here's some info straight from epliepsy.com regarding videogames that I thought was an interesting read.

Reports in newspapers and on television have heightened public awareness that playing video games can, in rare cases, trigger seizures, but there is no scientific evidence that video games can cause epilepsy. Playing video games is an extremely common pastime for many children, and they often play them for long periods of time. Because epilepsy is a common disorder, it is not surprising that some children will have their seizures while playing video games, just by coincidence. How often this happens, and to what extent the games trigger the seizures, if at all, is not known.

Stress, fatigue, or hyperventilation may trigger seizures during video games in some children who have epilepsy.

Some other children are photosensitive. For them, flashing lights, flickering images, or certain color sequences can trigger seizures or create patterns on the electroencephalogram (EEG) that are typical of epilepsy. These children may have seizures directly associated with playing video games. Photosensitivity occurs in only about 3% of people with epilepsy, however, so almost all children who have epilepsy should be able to play video games without ill effects. Restricting a child from playing video games simply because he or she has epilepsy is not justified.

Parents who are unsure whether a child who has epilepsy is photosensitive should check with the doctor. This can usually be determined from their EEG test. Photosensitive children may be able to play some games quite safely but have problems with others. Medication or blue polarized sunglasses can often prevent seizures caused by photosensitivity.

For parents who are concerned about the possible risk of seizures, it may be helpful to observe the child during the game and watch for signs of possible seizures:

brief episodes of blank staring, during which the child seems momentarily frozen in place
    rapid blinking or twitching of the mouth or face
    jerking movements of other parts of the body
    loss of attention
    brief inability to talk or respond
    reports from the child that things look, sound, smell, or feel different than usual

The presence of one or more of these signs does not necessarily mean that a child has epilepsy or is photosensitive, but it would be a good idea to tell the doctor.

The following suggestions, adapted from ways of reducing the risk of seizures in photosensitive children while they watch television, may be helpful with regard to video games:

Play in a well-lighted room to reduce the contrast between the lighted screen and the surrounding area. Reducing the brightness of the screen may also be helpful.
    Keep as far back from the screen as possible.
    Use smaller screens in which it is more difficult to see the horizontal scan lines.
    Avoid playing for long periods.
    Take regular breaks, and look away from the screen every once in a while.
    Cover one eye while playing, alternating between the right eye and the left eye.
    Stop the game if strange or unusual feelings develop.
    Consult your doctor if a child has strange or uncomfortable sensations caused by light shimmering on water, sunlight flickering through the trees, or flashing strobe lights, or any usual reaction to sudden or strong light.

Topic Editor:James W. Wheless, M.D.
    Last Reviewed:10/5/06

there you go, ass
    Last edited by Wip3ou7; 24th July 2008 at 08:48 AM.

It's like an exercise in the random use of bolding.

PSN ID
    humangoogle -OFW-

Quote Originally Posted by epilepsy.com
    brief episodes of blank staring, during which the child seems momentarily frozen in place
    Yeah, happens to me all the time...
    rapid blinking or twitching of the mouth or face
    I get that, feels kinda funky.
    jerking movements of other parts of the body
    only when wrestling with a force-feedback joystick, so probably not
    Ankle goes sometimes though...
    loss of attention
    That's me all over...
    brief inability to talk or respond
    Me again...
    Quote Originally Posted by epliepsy.com
    reports from the child that things look, sound, smell, or feel different than usual
    Things usually look different, feels like my eyes are swimming/drifting, not actually focused, even when they are...
    Anyone else experiencing things like this?
    EDIT: The eye thing is happening to me right now.

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Nope.