Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: WipEout HD delayed due to technical issue

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

Given the response has been mostly "Boo" or "Indifference" or "I can't pull it off" I can't see why SL would want to bring it back for "Wipeout After HD". It wouldn't make sense to keep pushing an inherently flawed gameplay element.
    Last edited by RJ O'Connell; 13th September 2008 at 09:17 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Barrel rolls aren't supposed to be flawed in HD remember? -15% to shield energy, and they work all the time. It's been said before.

Don't forget whose concept the barrel rolls are. From that knowledge, draw your own conclusions about how long that feature will be part of the game.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

Fidel Castro? Kim Jong Il?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Quote Originally Posted by RJ O'Connell View Post
    Given the response has been mostly "Boo" or "Indifference" or "I can't pull it off" I can't see why SL would want to bring it back for "Wipeout After HD"
    Maybe on this website, yes, I have NEVER witnessed a complaint about barrel rolls on IGN forums or at Neogaf. I suspect that most gamers go, WOOHOO!!! COOL!!! and then proceed to crash into a chicane.

}confesses to being an elitist who usually doesn't have the same reactions as 'the majority'{

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Oh you rebel!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    }confesses to being an elitist who usually doesn't have the same reactions as 'the majority'{
    For sure-- me as well.

I'm just pointing out that from the perspective of sales, and broadening the Wipeout fanbase, I doubt that barrel rolls are a negative.

}was aware of that{

-- ----------

"Oh you rebel!"

}starts singing David Bowie song{
    }changes mind and sings Canto Della Terra along with Alessandro Safina{<fantasy- I can't sing that high with a full tone, just falsetto, dammit.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

Quote Originally Posted by Frances_Penfold View Post
    I have NEVER witnessed a complaint about barrel rolls on IGN forums or at Neogaf.
    There's where the aforementioned indifference is. Find me one post on any of those forums saying something to the effect of "F*ck yeah, BRs kick ass, don't take em out EVER" I'll eat my favourite hat.
    Last edited by RJ O'Connell; 14th September 2008 at 06:07 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Schumi_77

I've just seen the Zone mode differences between press build et final build (http://www.dpadmagazine.com/2008/09/...-health-tests/) and I must admit that ... i prefer the previous version.
    But if this is what it takes to get the game out ... it's a small thing.

Despite the fact that I'll probably be banned (^_~) I like the barrel roll and I also like thet fact it sucks more shield when used in HD.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Heh, I thought this was kinda funny...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...9&postcount=27

The rumors about the failed epilepsy tests seem to have done nothing but make gamers want the game more-- maybe Sony should work that out formally with advertising. "Wipeout has always been brain-melting, but our most recent game took things a little too far..."

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Wip3ou7pure

Did they really need to remove the bloom effect from the "white sweep" in zone? it doesnt even look like light now, it just looks like a sharp white band of color.

PSN ID
    Yasir_Said

i have to say im pretty disappointed with the new zone mode after seeing all the previous videos..

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I don't like BR's, but I don't like the extra energy they pull off in HD. If they are going to be in, they were fine in pure and pulse the way they were (amt of energy pulled off). This extra take off of energy might separate a great pilot from a good pilot more though, since the good pilot will hit the walls more, and not have much energy to actually use the Br. But vote for the future, definitely out, unless in HD it feels really good. I would like it much better for 1 or two Brs per lap max, then people would be on equal footing like in Wo3 with the set amt of energy. It would then be a matter of where the barrel rolls would be best used to decrease your time

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

Quote Originally Posted by JABBERJAW View Post
    I would like it much better for 1 or two Brs per lap max, then people would be on equal footing like in Wo3 with the set amt of energy. It would then be a matter of where the barrel rolls would be best used to decrease your time
    It's kind of what the extra shield drain in HD was intended to do...just my opinion...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

This is starting to veer way off topic-- do we need a barrel roll thread?-- but do we know yet about the re-charge rate for Time Trial modes?

If BRs take off a whopping 15% of a ship's energy each time, time trialing will very much be BR-limited-- unless the shield re-charge is sky-high as in Wipeout Pulse.

In Wipeout Pure, the re-charge rate in free-play mode is slow enough that one can run out of shields by performing barrel rolls-- and time trials are definitely BR limited at least for ships that had low total shields. (The BR cost mechanic was based on an absolute rather than a relative proportion in Pure, so some ships are better suited for repeat BRs).

Indeed it has veered; the release date is now known; the reason for the delay is also known; there is already another thread for discussion of the barrel rolls. Not-much/no reason to continue this thread, really.