Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will it be possible to use old wipeout music on HD?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I strongly recommend using Audacity to do that.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    rocketclowns

Uhm yes, you could use freeware or Audacity to raise the volume of your mp3's, but what's that gonna sound like...? Like ****, I'm sure.
    The problem is that those 1996 masters have the same peak-levels as the 2008 ones (you can't get any higher!), it's just that their RMS (Root-Mean-Square)-levels aren't as high as they are today. Perceived loudness is in the RMS-levels and not the peaks, and the only way to raise them is to use dynamic compression.
    And why do you think serious mastering studios use $xxxxxx hardware and software to do just this and not Adobe Audacity?
    Because its real easy to make dynamic compression sound like ****.

That sounds a bit harsh maybe, its just that I spent several years of my life studying exactly this subject (I'm an officially trained audio engineer, or, as the paperwork says: a sonologue), and it touches a sensitive nerve. Heh. But there you go.
    Last edited by Lance; 11th July 2008 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Merged two consecutive posts by same poster. Please read the guidelines.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

It does help if you don't set the gain slider up +50, but only +3 or +6 max. I've tried it, there is no distortion or anything else than a raised volume that happens. You've just got to watch for the green bars (The L & R channels) that move when you play the song. If they hit the right side of the box, put the gain lower and it won't cause distortion... It's the same thing as an amplifier (It's even called "Amplify" under the "Effect" menu), and as far as I'm aware an amp doesn't cause much distortion when used reasonably

And Audacity can do Dynamic Compression too Just found out about that. Doesn't change a thing too. It's under the "Effect" menu, "Compressor".

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    dobyblue

If people would learn to master CD's the way they did in the 80's, music might start sounding good again.

Here's to getting 24/192 5.1 mixes on Blu-ray within the next few years. At least it can handle the SNR they're trying miserably to get out of CD.

Some CD's now sound like they were recorded through a crappy BOSE home theater system.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GTAce

AFAIK its already confirmed that the game allows custom soundtracks, so there shouldnt be any problem.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    BitWinter

Quote Originally Posted by GTAce View Post
    AFAIK its already confirmed that the game allows custom soundtracks, so there shouldnt be any problem.
    Yea, I read this a while back..so I already have my playlist ready!

I called it "WIPEOUT EXTREME"

I have Wipeout, XL, and WipeOut 3 on there...I bought that soundtrack to Pure on itunes...burned to a CD (its legal) then dumped it to the PS# as I did the other ones.. So I have 4 CD's worth of music in my " I am ready for the freaking game already" wipeout playlist

I have some of the Fusion tracks because I own the CD's of the original artists, but I wish there was an easy way to get the Fusion tracks in there as well.

~Uridium

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

You can rip the music of the game off the DVD with a PC using some software and converting it to MP3. I have done this with the game Monster Hunter, all that is needed if for the music to be in the correct format (extension) for the software to be able to extract it. I know not many PS2 games I have were in that format though, so maybe Fusion's music isn't as well.
    Also, it's been some time since I've done that so I don't remember the name of the software I used. Check it out on Google, that's how I found it.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Maybe the best option would be if the Playstation store made available the old soundtrack loops as a download.

Just the same as the Ridge Racer franchise.

That way all the original artists would be getting their just royalties,and we would be getting an option at a bit rate and volume that WOHD deserves.