Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I a traitor?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Well now piper999 knows from Colin too, and not just me
    I guess you are right about people checking only new threads Lance, as Colin said Fatal Inertia and WipEout HD were not related in another thread already. Seems my logic isn't everyone else's, so I guess some sort of WipEout HD FAQ wouldn't serve much purpose... :/

Anyways Wip3ou7, I will be waiting for your review

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Squallie

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdrium777 View Post
    They never took it out, backwards compatibility is still in the 80GB model
    Europe only have 40GB. So its true if you only own PAL PS1/PS2 games.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Well I was replying to AG-Wolf who lives in North America
    Sucks for Europe that they still didn't re-release an 80GB bundle though :/

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

The real point of the whole argument is that sony had their heads up their you-know-whats when they designed, produced, and released the PS3. it could have been cheaper in the first place, the only reason they didn't try to make it less expensive is because they got arrogant and figured if it has the name "Playstation" on it, people will buy it. I LIKE the full backwards compatibility in a console, but to have an advertised feature in a product be nerfed just for the sake of saving money, it's a slap in the face.

I'll get one when it's 300 bucks or less, when it's smaller, has more games (or something I actually want to play other than Wipeout HD and WOps3), and has full backwards compatibility re-added to it.

That being said, i WOULD like to get a chance to play this new Fatal Inertia. I was grossly disappointed when I got it for 360 (and returned it same day). but if this one is allegedly tweaked for the better, I'm willing to give it another chance. Koei should just release a patch for the 360 version to bring it up to par ;P

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Yes I agree some moves they made were quite stupid, but concerning the backwards compatibility they did not have much choice other than do what they did. They were losing at launch around 200$ per system, and while production costs have been reduced thanks to the implementation of smaller chips, optimized heat sinks and the removal of the costly PS2 chips, they still are not making money on the PS3. So no, it could not have been cheaper, or there would be no games for PS3 at all.
    But I still agree with the fact that it is quite expensive, not everyone has 500$ laying around to buy a PS3 system with PS2 compatibility; but the prices will remain at that for a while now, unfortunately for these people, as I doubt another price drop will be coming soon. Which is why I doubt they will consider re-adding the PS2 chips in anytime soon... They are working on improving the software emulation in the 80GB though, and with around 85% of PS2 games working, unless by some bizarre logic (Like some Metal Gears not working) or the game is very old and forgotten (Jeopardy anyone? Although that is PS1 I believe), every PS2 games you have should work. You can always check here to be certain.

And if you ever get a PS3 when it is cheaper, I advise you not to get Fatal Inertia the full game, as WipEout HD will be out by the time the PS3 costs 300$, and will be a much more enjoyable experience I am sure. The only thing I play in the demo whenever I play it (Not often) is the Velocity mode, because it is relatively fast and I like it. The other modes are too slow in my opinion.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Paradoxx

Yes you're a big one !

To answer Wip3ou7's original question:
    No, you're not a traitor.

It's your life; it's your time; do what you want; let others do what they want.

And keep rockin'.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Schumi_77

I don't think your a traitor.
    Sony choose to delayed WOHD without any explications, so it had to be expected.

I tried several month ago the 360's demo, and despite the fact I still prefer the WO series, i must admit there is good ideas (weapon, off-road tracks, etc.). Moreover, the game plays a lot with the space between your ship and the ground (wich has almost disappeared since WO2097).

Well it still lack something, but for only 30$ (which for me doesn't cost a lot if converted to euro) I think you made a reasonnable choice.
    I still have some games to play with, but if that wasn't the case, I would have probably do the same.

PSN ID
    Axellink

Tried the demo of the game and I'm really impressed. I thought it would have been worst but it is a nice game to tide me till WOHD release. I need a couple of hours with the trial, but chances are, I will purchase the game.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    cybrpnk

had a few hours of play with Fatal Inertia EX yesterday and here are just some of the pros and cons I can come up with off the bat

PROS

+ controls are nice, tight and responsive...although I am only using the Phoenix (I think thats the class name) class craft at the moment and it is responsive...this means when turning there is not at much sliding as WipEout (although I am still figuring the ins, outs and optimal method of piloting these crafts

+ some one on these forums mention that fatal inertia quite accurately depicts and focuses on the air cushion between the craft and the ground...and I agree...figuring out th nuances of flying these babies requires some understanding of the relationship of your craft, the surface and th air in between...I believe it is the 'float' feel that many of us has been searching for since 2097

+ graphics, very nice coming from the unreal engine...metals are slick, reflective and shiny, water is highly reflective and transparent, neons glow very nicely...lighting is realistic etc...what you'd expect from unreal...

+ physics, the damage on the crafts are quite nice...my left wing hits the side of a checkpoint, it bends, magnetic orbs attach to my craft which sends be flying into another craft, i bounce off it quite realistically...pretty accurate...once again...i think its unreal at work here...

CONS

- tracks...hmmm...what can I say...a little more linearity as to where I should be heading on the tracks would be quite nice...don't get me wrong...I like a good racer...but a good racer I believe focuses on the techniques I need to get from A to B and not focusing on where I should be headed for to get from A to B...

- some of the tracks are nice...but some are just too open...like a combination of all the open areas in Fusion put together, creating frustration in me as I try to figure out where I'm headed whilst battling off magnetic orbs and emp bombs...all in all...it's easy to get lost

- weapons...a little too focused on the defensive side than offensive...at least WipEout has a nice balance between offensive and defensive (about equal numbers I think), Fatal Inertia EX however focuses on crippling opponents with 'physics based' weapons which in a sense are more real, that will affect the physics of flight...eg...magnetic orbs that will weigh down your craft hindering control, emp bombs that will just shut down your ship altogether, turbos, time dilaters...the only really offensive weapon I believe is some type of rocket findagimy-thingamejig which does not even come close to packing the same punch as WipEout array of offensive, missiles, rockets, bombs, quake disruptors (one of the most innovative weapons in a racing game)

that's all I can think of for now...will get back to playing the game...the controls are tight enough to warrant some good hours put into it...but you'd have to learn the ins and outs of the tracks as they can get quite confusing at times...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Schumi_77

I tested the carriere mode from the ps3 demo and i must admit that i was very disappointed. No challenge (finish 1st every time without seeing many enemies), weapons seem very defensive oriented like Orange said.
    I was thniking about paying 20€ to purchase de game in case I don't have any game to play, but I will think twice now.

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Oh believe me, it gets MUCH harder I'm trying to go for the Perfectionist award which requires the full 40 points in all series, and the AI is driving me insane.

Also, the demo really isn't ideal for demonstrating the difficulty, as the Phoenix Prototype is supposed to be much better than all the other craft on the grid. You lose it at the end of the series and you have to race in your own custom craft.

PSN ID
    Axellink

I'll give this game a pass as I have now got Pure and Pulse

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

I bought it too, because I need something in the form of a futuristic racer for my PS3 so this half assed game will need to do. Looks like something that should be on PS2 not PS3

@ Sch@dows finish first on all races and get combat champion. Think you'd be reconsidering.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Schumi_77

I finished 1st on all 4 races of the demo, and was the overall combat champion (combat champion on 3 of the 4 races because I was so much ahead that I didn't bother droping mines).

But like Hellfire said, I think the real game is much more harder.

I often play on my PS2 (40GB models are not backward compatible T_T) and although I wasn't shock from PS2 to PS3, the other was is quite difficult for the eyes.
    It wasn't so bad in my mémories but ... it is ^_^
    So i dont think FI could have been on PS2 with such wide open environements.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

It could not have been on PS2 simply because it uses the Unreal Engine 3