Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pressure-sensitive D-Pad...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Wip3ou7pure

Default Pressure-sensitive D-Pad...

Does WipEout HD use the the D-Pad with pressure sensitivity enabled, or is the pad in directional on/off mode? Or are the devs one step ahead of me and incorperated an option to toggle it? Or if you havent, yes you may use that one, on me
    Last edited by Wip3ou7; 19th June 2008 at 02:48 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

PS2 had a pressure sensitive d-pad too along with the face and trigger buttons. WOfusion allowed you to toggle whether it acknowledged the pressure sensitivity or not, so I'm sure WOHD will have the same... or I guess "should" would be a better word than "will"

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Wip3ou7pure

The PS2 had a pressure sensitive D-Pad? Are you sure about that? I can't think of any game that used it if it really was there... the PS3 d-pad is almost like an analogue stick really. I don't think the dualshock 2 had that. I hope the devs can confirm
    Last edited by Wip3ou7; 15th June 2008 at 02:00 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Paradoxx

I confirm. PS2 had a pressure sensitive D-Pad (see Gran Turismo for example)

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Wip3ou7pure

Really... I've played through some of GT4 and even tested the d-pad and I got no pressure sensitivity... I was testing it on a PS3...

pressure sensitiveness on dualshock2 was bad, it mostly did ok with games like MGS2 and 3 just to cancel a shot, or in Pro Evo soccer (Winning Eleven) to kick the ball, for other games it wasnt as good as other analog devices, in other words it did ok for inputs that didnt require precission.

steering does require precision, i didnt knew ds2 had a pressure sensitive d-pad, but i do have a tendency to use dpads as they were analog, my quick taps are also light, and my holding a button is a bit harder, due to the need of reliability of input, it definitely sucked big time for GT4, those games are played way better with a steering wheel, or if not possible at least analog stick.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Wip3ou7pure

ANYWAY, wether DS2 supported it or not (and i still wont believe that it did untill I see it first hand, I've had discussions about this on the playstation underground forums before) I'd really like an answer from colin or one of the other devs for the original question...

EDIT: I would actually perfer a non-analogue d-pad response
    Last edited by Wip3ou7; 16th June 2008 at 06:44 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Chrono11

My opinion doesn't go too far, but I'll give it. I've been following this post for a couple days now. I worked at a video game retailer for over a year, and I never heard that the d-pad was pressure sensitive. There is no disputing the fact that the DualShock II has pressure sensitivity on its command buttons (X,O, etc) and the top shoulder buttons. For a great example, look at the EA American Football games, the Ace Combat games also use a pressure sensitive SQUARE button for map display.. However, I think it's alittle farfetch'd (like the pokemon) to think that the d-pad is pressure sensitive, as more games would have used this feature. I can't think of any game I've played that has said feature.
    There's a difference between feathering a D-pad and it being pressure sensitive.

In response to Mano, explain what you are talking about in the MGS games, I'll test it and back you up if you end up being right... though I doubt it =P

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

If you press the square button in mgs2 down, but let it go slowly, it will not fire your weapon.
    That's what I found in the demo at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrono View Post
    ... a little farfetch'd (like the pokemon)...
    I've always wondered why the only living beings on the planet are pokemon and humans. Not one ant, not one cat, no dogs, no animals but pokemon. And all of them are pets or slaves or wild, with no dominant species as there might be on an alien planet without humans. Most pokemon seem to be considered potential slaves used for fights. Reminds one of bull-baiting or cockfighting, but without the actual deaths. When did that sort of abuse of living creatures become okay?

PSN ID
    humangoogle -OFW-

I saw a cat once, it was... wait... that was mu!
    OH MY GOD! conspiracy!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

See attached image.

First-Generation Dual Shock 2, hasn't been opened in years
    Attached Images Attached Images

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Chrono11

That's pretty definitive.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Wip3ou7pure

Okay well I guess 99% of developers just didnt utilize it.

ANYWAY, THAT IS NOT THE POINT OF THIS THREAD.

How does WOHD use it?
    Last edited by Wip3ou7; 19th June 2008 at 02:49 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

We already know there is a meter that indicates how much you are pressing down on X displayed on the HUD.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Wip3ou7pure

So the accelleration and brakes will be pressure sensitive too? wipeout is traditionally just "go"...

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    BulletWraith

Talking

accelerate has always been analogue, I shudder to think of the air breaks being analogue though, the coordination would kill me

chur
    -zer0shen

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Wip3ou7pure

when you say, accellerate has always been analogue, you mean in fusion? because the N64, original psx controller, and PSP do not have analogue buttons....

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Negcon got Analogue buttons

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Wip3ou7pure

Ok... I've never used a negCon, so I've always played WipEout with non-analogue buttons. I assume that most of the people in the world who have played wipeout havent experienced it with analogue controls.