Thread: Airbrakes or Sideshifting?

Default Airbrakes or Sideshifting?

Well i know in pure sideshifing was more important than airbrakes. I was wondering if it was still the same. I have some more questions but right now i don't remember them..

PSN ID
    technicolour

Sideshifting should NEVER be more important than airbreaks, sideshifting is simply for overtaking, avoiding weapons and correcting racing line in citta nouva. Airbreaking is a neccessary skill, you will not be able to win at faster classes without an intimate knowledge of how airbreaking works.

Sideshifting takes a backseat to airbreaking, although why does it matter which is more important than the other? You never have to make a choice between the two, as each has its own situation. It's like comparing steering to acceleration.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I tend to disagree. In wipEout pure, there are some turns where sideshifting - of course in addition to airbraking - gives you a speed advantage, best example being the hairpin at Citta Nuova.
    But yes, as stated, it is not a question of sideshift or airbrakes - you have to master both.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Pretty much what eLhabib said...In a similar sense, I find it helpful at Outpost 7 to use both features. Airbrake for most of the turn, and then a sideshift in the middle of the turn makes my ship briefly fly sideways... lol

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    cybrpnk

i've never used sideshifting or barrel rolls for that matter...just good old airbrakes to see me through pure and now pulse...

i find that the sideshift is a little to sudden to gauge...instead of throwing me about a ships width to the side of another ship...it decides to throw me right through the walled barriers...gave up on it...stuck to basics and it still works

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

Hi Dav,

I'm sure you read this thread : http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4873

After hours passed on This game, I realized you have to master airbrakes/barrel rolls AND to -always when it's possible- lower your nose. Sideshifting is for a desperate situation lol -caused by lowering your nose too much lol-. The trick about lowering your nose is even harder than the BR thing. You will have to know perfectly the track before. And slowly, you will lower your nose on the entire track... All the records are made with a perfect lap+perfect lowering nose management+BR+airbrakes... Crazy isn't it?
    Last edited by kanar; 8th June 2008 at 09:19 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Hmm...perhaps for most people, kanar...

as unimportant as it might seem to some at first, nosing down does help substantially. Especially on the lower speed classes. On Phantom, my Feisar usually will do 778, 780 or so on straights with a level nose. With it down, I often see it come close to - or break - 800 on straights. On Venom, usually it will do 450 or so...but it easily surpasses 470 with nose down.

Although, at certain BR-possible areas for most tracks I raise my nose a bit to get a little more air time, making it easier to BR.

Still, airbrakes are of the utmost importance.
    Last edited by Albino Ace; 8th June 2008 at 11:34 AM.