Thread: the truth about FULL six axis control

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TheFrostE

Default the truth about FULL six axis control

after reading up on it and watching the 1 up video for HD (i know its old) i dont know why people feel that full six axis control will fail. people that have experienced it said that it actually works very well, once you get over the learning curve. judging from what ive done withthe negcon, i actually thik this may be easier, i dont have to reach to change my pitch while turning....i can just do it in one smooth motion turning and pitching at the same time.

six axis can bring alot to the table concerning the negcon fanatics.
    has any one here used the six axis controls yet and can confirm the functionality in comparison to the neg

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

The critical point is how long it takes from the actual input (tilt motion) to the desired effect in-game. If you look at games like Motorstorm or Lair for example, the delay between input and in-game result is quite big, certainly too big for a wipEout game where extreme precision and timing are crucial. If they get the calibration and the reaction time of the device right, I'm pretty sure it will be the supreme way to pilot, even better than a negcon.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TheFrostE

ahhh so you had the actual demo build right? did you get to try the control with that?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Wip3ou7pure

The response time of the SIXAXIS itself is very very fast. People think its slow because in the game your character/vehicle/whatever doesnt turn or respond as quickly as you can whip your weightless hands around. I use SIXAXIS controls for alot of my PS3 games and I've always been very impressed with its accuracy and response. I even used to play Formula 1 championship edition with it. And Motorstorm it worked freaking perfectly with, I have no idea how you could say its slow. Same thing with flOw and Warhawk.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

What generation of Sixaxis do you have? The early pads are known for being somewhat shitter than the ones you get today. I happen to own a launch day pad and I know exactly what they mean with reference to Motorstorm.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Wip3ou7pure

i had four launch day SIXAXIS controllers and now I have two dualshock 3's. my roommate has two original SIXAXIS still. I havent noticed a difference in the motion/tilt aspect of the controller. The analogue sticks and overall rigidness of the controller is better on the DS3 though.

PSN ID
    AVENGER2197

I have 2 launch gen controllers, and 1 2nd gen controller. There is a discernable difference in regards to motion sensing, in favor of the 2nd gen. I'll be getting a DS3 very soon(i hope) I'm not totally sure but, it might be which version of system too. I heard from a friend who has the 80 gig(with 2nd gen sixaxis), said there was really no delay with his controllers. But, he doesn't have a 1st gen controller to compare side by side.
    Last edited by Avenger2197; 3rd June 2008 at 05:10 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I've played the preview build, yes, on a debug PS3 that we received even before launch, so the sixaxis clearly is launch generation, maybe even pre-launch, if they had changes made i don't know. So maybe that's why the reaction time felt too slow. I now have a DualShock3, but the PS3 is with another reviewer, so I can't test if the DS3 is superior in that regard, but from what you guys are saying, and what 1UP is reporting, it's probably a world of difference.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

I'll definitely be giving it a shot with my DS3 when I decide on the best route to take to get one. If its instant then it could be a damn good way to fly easy to use pitch and turn a corner at once, Neggy could have competition. It's also a chance for Sony to prove that motion sensing wasn't a last minute gimmick they added in for the sake of it.