Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Playstation 3 HDD Upgrade

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Well I wouldn't know about the encryption process really, as it is encrypted and impossible to read from the drive If you have a PS3 you can try plugging the disc in your PC but you will not see anything...

PSN ID
    humangoogle -OFW-

Quote Originally Posted by insertcoin View Post
    Ah another xkcd reader! *hugs*
    Another one here...

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Right....

I just upgraded the PS3 HDD then, Just i the nick of time before HD is released in a couple of days. Took friggin ages for the backup and even longer to restoe the data, a few hours it was. But def worth it. If you have not much space left on your PS3 HDD and you want to put as much of your music stash on the console so you can listen to it while playing Wipeout HD. May i suggest you quickly duck into the shops get a large HDD for your PS3 before HD is released, this is highly recommend, and it will save you a **** load of trouble later down the track.

Cya in HD

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    cybrpnk

any chance of us getting a list of what everyone has and have upgraded to???

I'm not the best with computer hardware...so a list of what's been tried and proven would be greatly appreciated...I'd probebly look into 7200 with a 16mb cache...any recommendations for brands???

I'm surprised I'm still surviving on 40Gb only barely...once HD arrives...I'm gonna need more space for my music...

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Well Orange im more of a car nut, opposed to many people on this forum who are computer nuts. Installation was rather simple and easy. RR put a link on this thread a few pages back with a visual illustration of how to install a new HDD into the PS3 console. Go back a few pages and check it out. BTW you should find the right sized phillips head screwdriver before attempting this job.

Now i have the now old school 60Gb PS3 console (was 60Gb). That had a Hard Disk Drive that was a Seagate Momentus 5400rpm, i think that it had a 8mb cache in it. Im sure the 40Gb PS3 version had the same brand a similar spec HDD also.

I did it safe and got the same brand and the same type of HDD again, it was another Seagate Momentus but this time it was a 160Gb varient, rpm was still 5400 and the cache remains the same i think. PS3 runs smoothly and fine now. It was worth it. No trouble as of yet. Now i dont have to worry about transfering the Wipeout HD game and all of my save data files to a larger HDD for another few more years hopefully.

I wonderer if a 7200rpm HDD would be noiser than a 5200rpm varient in the PS3 console?

Who else has change there PS3 HDD out there?

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Just wondering can Solid Slate Drives can work on the PS3 just like the 2.5" SATA HDD?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I think you might have trouble with the power supply and I think they run hotter than a standard drive,other than that if it formats the same I don't see why not......apart from the sheer cost of them.$$$ Ouch!

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

Apparently they work fine but I think that for some reason xmb to game menu is a bit slower on SSDs.

it depends how big your christmas bonus/lottery win was

i whacked a cheeky little 7200rpm 320gb drive-works a treat!

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Quote Originally Posted by yeldar2097 View Post
    it depends how big your christmas bonus/lottery win was

i whacked a cheeky little 7200rpm 320gb drive-works a treat!
    Dont know that til the 3rd of January....

Yeah my 160GB upgrade is doing great. Got all the music and movie videos i want in one place.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

good enough reason as any

i know, it's brilliant! i still need to trawl through my music collection to make a WO playlist though, although i do like the original soundtrack a lot.

i'll get back on topic. for anyone wanting to replace the HDD, be careful not to strip the blue screws (you'll see them) when you do it. that's what i did, not a good way to go about it.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

There is a guide on upgrading a HD for a PS3 at the Aus/Nz Playstation forum.

Here's the link.
    http://community.eu.playstation.com/...al&thread.id=8

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Just chasing up for a larger HDD in the PS3,

and the prices are pretty cheap nowdays,

500GB 2.5 SATA $120 AUD. Good buys.

Also which is also coming out soon,

640 GB
    750 GB
    1 TB

all in the 2.5 SATA notebook/PS3 sized HDDs. From this special place i go to, to buy computer equipment at direct prices (PLE Computers)

Im not sure if these large sized HDDs can fit in the PS3, since they are a tad fatter in width to the smaller 2.5 SATA HDDs. and the issue of formatting and compatibility would be an issue too. But there are some good choices out there nowdays

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Quote Originally Posted by KIGO View Post
    ... Im not sure if these large sized HDDs can fit in the PS3, since they are a tad fatter in width to the smaller 2.5 SATA HDDs. and the issue of formatting and compatibility would be an issue too. ...
    They won't fit if their width is larger than 2.5". And there is currently no known capacity
    limitation a PS3 can take (albeit there was one back with fw 1.x). Someone lately installed
    a 1TB disk on its PS3.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    AppleJack052570

Just changed out the 40GB drive the system came with (A Seagate btw) and replaced it with a 250GB WD drive. It was a pretty straightforward swap. I used an external drive to back up the data,swapped the drive, and used the restore backup. all in all it took maybe a couple hours counting the time it took to back up the system and restore it.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Quote Originally Posted by ProblemSolver View Post
    They won't fit if their width is larger than 2.5". And there is currently no known capacity
    limitation a PS3 can take (albeit there was one back with fw 1.x). Someone lately installed
    a 1TB disk on its PS3.
    Pow! **** me! a 1TB PS3, damn thats good. Imagine how many movies you could put on your console. Brilliant. Ive got 70GB left in my 160GB HDD that i installed in my PS3 last year. I might be tempted to get a larger one for sure fairly soon. What i have noticed my XMB is starting to go slower and slower, especially opening messages and closing them.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

I installed a 500GB Seagate Momentus (7200rpm, 16MB cache, 11ms) on my PS3 about
    two month ago. And it burns. A good performance increase is noticable esp. when skipping
    through pictures and while using the browser. Game loading-times are faster as well, but not
    by a big margin. Last but not least, the XMB feels much more responsive in those case
    where a disk access is involved.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Yeah im going to bare that in mind when purchasing another HDD. Opt for a 7200rpm one instead of a 5400rpm one. Mines getting very slow and is becoming bullshit. I think that 500GB is the max with the 7200rpm type Hard Disc Drives. Ill keep that in mind when purchasing next time. (Still need to get the 1080p TV and the better internet connection first).

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Actually rammed a 500gig hard disk drive in my PS3 not so long ago. I have to say the XMB loads really slow now. I wouldnt recommend anything larger than this size hard disk drive in there PS3, reason being i dont think the PS3 would be able to handle it. Maybe the slims are better at handling larger hard drives compared to the older consoles.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ONlocke

I just put a 500 GB HHD into my Slim yesterday.

It's a "Seagate Momentus XT ST95005620AS", and is actually a hybrid disk. partially a normal HDD and partially a SSD. It also has 32 MB cache(4GB blitz, dunno what that is).

It's nice with more space, and the loading times have been shortened some. But that's really just phsycological.

However when joining an online race, I'm always first in on the map now, and I always have to wait for the other players to load their maps before we can start, which was pretty cool. So the console just got a little loading boost, and performs better.

EDIT: 7200 rpm also. ^^
    Last edited by ONlock; 16th August 2010 at 11:44 PM.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Nice one.

I have to say I've been disappointed with the 500Gb hard drive I put in my PS3 back in December. Seems to have slowed it right down.