Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Playstation 3 HDD Upgrade

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

You know those Headphones look really good emwu23, i might just buy them. I havent seen them in the stores here before. Probaly because Australia gets all the shitty merchandise the rest of the globe doesnt want. I might just purchase a set of them Online them. Like what ive done before on several occasions.

Sound really cool. I was looking at the features the Sharkoon X-Tatic 5.1, impressive they are.

Heres a link if anybody doesnt know what im going on about:
    http://www.headphoneworld.com/p/Shar...Microphone.htm

I think that the Home Entertainment System (PS3 Console) have replaced the Stereos of the 1990s. Put your music stash on the PS3 console, and crank it up when youve got guests over, thats if youve got a good set of speakers on it.

Headphones? What happened to upgrading the HDD?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Well upgrading HDD = More space for music -> Need something good to listen to it.

That's how I see it, but it's just me

}rolls eyes{

Yes, but talking about headphones and sound systems in general for a page or so pulls away from the actual topic too long; if there's going to be a long discussion of sound equipment, it should have a separate thread devoted to it. Why not start one? Clearly, there's plenty of interest in that subject.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    Headphones? What happened to upgrading the HDD?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    }rolls eyes{

Yes, but talking about headphones and sound systems in general for a page or so pulls away from the actual topic too long; if there's going to be a long discussion of sound equipment, it should have a separate thread devoted to it. Why not start one? Clearly, there's plenty of interest in that subject.

Upgrading the HDD is still on the adgenda. Im just also looking for ways to make the use of the full potential of the PS3 Console. Im waiting till larger HDD come avaliable like in 500GB plus sizes.

I was thinking about starting a thread on sound systems in general. But ive created that many thread in the past month i think i would of began to irritate the moderators, due to the extra work load ive put on you guys to check every individual thread and post. Anyway, Im going to start it off now in the Pilots Lounge now called "Sound Systems".

Posting so much offtopic stuff increases the workload for the moderators more than starting a new topic for the subject since they have to make sure it doesn't wander off for too long at a time.

If you start a new topic on sound systems, please start it in the ^offtopic^ section, since Pilot's Lounge is better for subjects pertaining more directly to actual WO gameplay or more about the pilots themselves.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

****. Sorry just did that. Maybe its best to get it moved to Offtopic now. It is a little Wipeout related so it could stay in the Pilots Lounge. But moved it where you think i suited best Lance.

I already did it.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Hey guys im just looking at a replacement HDD for the PS3 now, cause now im officially nearly dead on space on the PS3 console....

What i wanted to ask does it matter if the HDD you replace it with is a 5400rpm or a 7200rpm spinning drive? Whats the restrictions on the PS3 console??

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

Get a 2.5 inch 5400 rpm i reckon - you won't honestly need the 7200 rpm.

I think the 7200RPM makes about 5% difference. The cache on the other hand will make a greater difference. I've selected one that's 7200 with 16Mb cache. It's about another 20 quid - so why not?

320Gb WD Scorpio 7200 16Mb cache

Due out later this month I think.
    Last edited by Norfolk'n'Clue; 3rd July 2008 at 02:16 PM.

Just replaced my 40gb with a 250gb Western Digital 5400 for just £50. Of course the 250gb is really not that much - it`s 232 in the end. I wonder how they get away with it. Good job similar marketing doesn`t apply to petrol sales. Unless I`m missing something.

One weird thing though, before the change I had 14gb/40gb free. After the system back up and restore I had 189gb/232gb. Those numbers don`t seem to make sense, unless the PS3 grabs a % of the HDD for its own use with updates. I heard it does reserve some for its own mysterious uses.

I was a bit scared in the HDD changeover operation, and my pulse rate was definitely above normal! But the disk change is very very very easy to do. You would have to be a neanderthal to mess it up really.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

The PS3 uses a part of the free space available for administrative purposes. The bigger the drive, the bigger the "administrative" partition is. That is probably due to the fact that the drive is encrypted, and space is used for this encryption process...

Thanks, that clears it up.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Here is the full answer:

1. Manufacturers calculate drive size as 1 gigabyte as (10^9) not as (2^30)
      1. Consumer confusion caused by non standard units of measure
      2. PS3 internally uses 2^30, Manufactors of Drives use 10^9
    2. Firmware - while stored and used mostly in flash memory - has a backup copy on the HDD
    3. Swap File that is approximately 10% of drive size (80 gig... 7 gig swap file)
    4. Future System Updates reserved space

1, 2, 3 are confirmed 4 is supposition.

From here

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

Yeah, oddly enough everyone has a different idea of how big a kilobyte is.
    http://xkcd.com/394/

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

Ah another xkcd reader! *hugs*

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdrium777 View Post
    ...and space is used for this encryption process...
    Any further info on this?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I just gave the correct answer as to why the HDD free space isn't the space advertised. Read up. ^

Yeh, I understand all about sectors vs logical size etc. Just was interested to read more about the encryption as I work in IT security.
    ---
    Charming. Thanks for that Drium.

There's only really random comments on forums about it using it, no technical testing that's easy and quick to find. I get 5 minutes or so to post on here now and then, but I do have a job.
    Last edited by Task; 16th July 2008 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Sequential posts merged