Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Playstation 3 HDD Upgrade

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Default Playstation 3 HDD Upgrade

Who out there has taken the 2.5inch SATA HDD from there PS3 console and replaced it with a larger capacity HDD?

Got a spare 160GB HDD which i havent used yet? Was thinking about replacing the exsisting 60GB HDD in the console.

Was wondering has anybody encountered any problems?

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Its apparently very easy, take a look here there is a how to video

http://gameslurp.com/page.php?t=4703

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Cheers thanks for the Link. When ive got some good free time i think ill give it a shot.

This is another reason why Sony's Playstation 3 console is better than Microsoft's XBOX 360 console. Universal HDD compatability and upgradable.

I think i might keep a hold of this HDD and go for a larger size one like 250GB or 320GB. Need a decent size HDD to combat with my ever increase music collection, and photo and movie collection.

Timezone
    GMT -7

I keep most of my digital media on my PC and access it via the PS3's media centre functionality.

Hopefully if I keep doing this my 60GB PS3 HDD will last me indefinitely.

I'm not 100% sure but I think you can just plug in external HDDs via USB to the PS3 which you could use for music, videos and so on without openeing up your console. This is a huge benefit over the competition as far as I'm concerned.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Yeah I'm pretty sure that works; saw that at a mate's house.
    Nonetheless I'm a fan of as less as possible extra hardware for my computer stuff

You can definitely use external hard-drives via USB, but they have to be formatted to FAT32. Wish I'd known that before I formatted my external HD to NTFS then put 300 GB of data on it...

As for replacing the internal HD, I'm 99% sure the manual that comes with a PS3 has instructions on how to do it.
    Last edited by jmoid; 1st June 2008 at 11:58 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Both affirmations are correct jmoid

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Just wondering whats the largest 2.5inch SATA Hard Disk Drives avaliable on the market? Is it just 500GB atm or is there larger ones avaliable?

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Haven't seen any larger than that, I think that's top of the range for 2.5" drives at the moment.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

... And what do you need a terrabyte on yer PS3 for?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

pr0n

Kidding of course

I think it's a wise thing to upgrade the HDD since games will come with mandatory installs more often now, and with each games taking a few GBs you want to have some space where to leave them installed, instead of waiting 20 minutes each time you want to play the game (Well, you COULD make lots of sandwiches. )

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    taqili

also you can store music so you don't have to stream it / have your computer on. it's even more pertinent for movies because streaming movies is...not fantastic.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Quote Originally Posted by Task View Post
    ... And what do you need a terrabyte on yer PS3 for?
    For several reasons. You know i wouldnt mind to go even further and go for 2 or 4 TB. Here are some of the reasons on needing a HDD with more space on the PS3:

Music: 60GB just wont cut it for much longer with my ever exponentially expanding music collection which consists mainly of sweet Ministry of Sound as well as other Artists in the music Genre's of Dance/Hard Dance/Electro/Hard Electro/Trance/Fusion/House/Electronica/Progressive Electronica.

Video: Home recorded videos and Movie's in both standard and high definition take up a **** load of space. Im suprised this one video which my mate recorded which took only a few minutes to chew up a 2GB SD card. That file would be huge if it went for an hour. So the PS3 would become very full quickly if i where to store all of these videos on the PS3.

Pictures: Ive got alot, i mean alot of photos from all the Carshows which i go to every year. There good for show and tell to everybody. Oh photos from the Red Bull Air Race i get are awesome as well.

Games: If all the games are going to be like Wipeout HD and only avaliable on the PSN. Then it would be a smart thing to upgrade to a larger HDD. Plus if the PS3 is going to be on the Market as long as the PS2 (9 years going on 10) there are going to be alot of content avaliable during that time frame.

I find that backing all my multimedia on the PS3 is a good idea cause i dont know how many times the home PC has corrupted itself which is real pain. The Toshiba that i got replace has'nt corrupted itself again thank god. I might look into getting a replacment HDD when the larger sizes come out.

Darkdrium777 and taqili comments are spot on as well.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Yep. 500GB is the maximum atm afaik.
    But then - if you really want to go es far as 2-4TB - there's always the option to use an external drive

PSN ID
    rushinmonkey

i replaced mine with a 320GB last week, was rapidly running out of space with all the installs.

would recommend doing it sooner rather than later as the 'backup' functionality is rather bad.. you get the option to backup up everything or nothing.. so having only a 4gb usb key i had to manually delete all my demo's, install's, music, etc. you could manually copy specific files, but on trying to copy things like my tekken save data was told i couldnt.. hence the mass deleting to get under 4gb

still it's all done now, so i am patiently waiting for the 1gb of wipeout

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

I have a few external HDDs both small Western Digital plug and play ones that run off the power of the USB cable not an addition AC adapter. Use to have them plug into the PS3, but they where creating unwanted clutter with the array/networks of cables 'n' **** everywhere.

Hmm, well ive got a Western Digital plug in play HDD empty 60GB HDD version. So i guess i can backup the 45GB of data from the first PS3 HDD over to the newer PS3 HDD once ive installed that, no data sacrificed hopefully.

Now ive got a question:
    If i purchase Wipeout HD off the PSN, which would save it onto my current Hard Disk Drive, and later on i choose to backup the contents of the first HDD, then transfer them over once ive installed the larger capacity HDD. Would Wipeout HD still work/function the same or would the data be seen as corrupted data since ive essentially copy the entire game data. Would this happen??

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Don't worry anyways, you can download a PSN game an unlimited number of times on up to five different systems. So you will be able to download WipEout HD another time when you replace your HDD for free.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Cool. I dont have to worry about it then.

Question:
    Has anyone connected a 5.1 Sound System to there PS3 console? Does it sound realy good? Cause i was think about upgrading the current sound system which is just a 2.1 Logitech X230 sound great but i want to listen to the Dolby 5.1 Surround Soundtrack Wipeout HD has to offer. Its gonna sound so sweet. Wipeout HD is realy going to push the benchmark on each new racer that comes out from now on.

PSN ID
    emwu23

Hey KIGO,

Im using really great headphones with 5.1 sound on the board:
    sharkoon x-tatic 5.1.Its compatibile with ps2,xbox,x360 and ps3.
    Really clean sound and for sure good stuff for night sesions..
    with upcoming hd of course.

cheers

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I have 5.1 connected to PS3 and it sounds awesome! Although a good 2.1 sound system sounds really good too